Housetaining

Go down

Housetaining Empty Housetaining

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:12

Hey guys,

Need a bit of advice please.

We've had Charlie here for 6 days now, and in those 6 days, he hasn't used his paper (apart from in his crate at night) once. It's almost as if he thinks its a punishment place because whenever I catch him peeing or about to pee, I say no firmly amd place him on his paper.

When I put him on there in the morning, after eating, sleeping, playing etc, he just looks so sad and lays down. He can be on there for ages and I think, Ok, maybe he doesn't need to go. The second I let him off, he runs off to pee somewhere else.

I've tried using pads instead of paper, he won't use them either. I'm not too bothered cos I know he's still young, but I cant figure out why he will sit there fo so long on the paper and do nothing, then pee as soon as I let him off, it's obvious he needsto go, he just refuses to do it on the paper.

Any advice? Pleeeeease?

(P.s, I'm putting my twins down for a nap after their lunch and will be uploading pics of Charlie then into the gallery)

Back to top Go down

Housetaining Empty Re: Housetaining

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:17

the only thing i can say is be pationt with him and when he starts weeing dont say anything just pick him up and put him on the paper as he may think he gettin told off were your only guiding him to were he should be

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:23

Thanks Wazza. I'll give that a go. I might move it to a different place as well. Bless him, he's so good in every other way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:27

the joy of tiny pups funny i miss all the little accidents and its not that long ago since i was doin it myself they grow so quick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:31

It sounds that by you saying 'no' he thinks you're saying 'no' for peeing! As bigwazza says, just gently move him to where you want him to go.

Some dogs don't really like the paper though & he may need to be taken outside to see if that'll help. Every half hour or so, just take him into the garden & let him have a look around. If he pees, give him loads of praise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:44

I tried taking him outside at first because I'd rather he went out there rather than inside but he ran straight back inside. I think its too cold and wet out there for him. I'll just keep at it and try different things until we crack it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 14:04

Shontelle wrote:I tried taking him outside at first because I'd rather he went out there rather than inside but he ran straight back inside. I think its too cold and wet out there for him. I'll just keep at it and try different things until we crack it.

Shontelle you will get there thought Milly would never get it but she is there now not doing anything in the house. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 14:30

Vinnie was the same, it took a little while but no his the king of the puppy pad ha! untill garden training that is ANYWAY!
A friend of mine who is a dog behaviourist gave me a little handy tip, When Charlie has an accident on the floor, take some tissue and get the scent of his wee on it, then take the tissue and rub it on the puppy pad so you're transfering his scent onto the pad, so he think oh this is where i have to go, it takes a couple of days but in vinnies case it DID work.
Goodluck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 15:11

Thanks for the tip staffy-lover. Def gonna give that a go. Thanks Milly Moo, we'll get there in the end. I want him to do it just once on the pad then I can give him loads of praise and cuddles and hopefully that will help him understand. He's so good in every other way tho, I absolutely love him to bits already. I now see why you guys love your staffies so much Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 16:57

Shontelle wrote:Thanks for the tip staffy-lover. Def gonna give that a go. Thanks Milly Moo, we'll get there in the end. I want him to do it just once on the pad then I can give him loads of praise and cuddles and hopefully that will help him understand. He's so good in every other way tho, I absolutely love him to bits already. I now see why you guys love your staffies so much Smile

remember these three words shontelle when it comes to house training, there called the 3 Ps.
patience, persistence and praise

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 20:55

I think they should be remembered in ALL training!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 20:56

Caryll wrote:I think they should be remembered in ALL training!

call me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 21:06

I'm not getting angry or frustrated with him or anything, he's only 9 weeks old and he's only been here a week. Just want him to go on the paper so I can go mad with the praise so he'll understand that's what I want him to do cos at the mo, he just looks at me as if to say what's the point in keeping me on here? We'll get there. And I always keep the 3 p's in mind Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 21:07

Shontelle wrote:I'm not getting angry or frustrated with him or anything, he's only 9 weeks old and he's only been here a week. Just want him to go on the paper so I can go mad with the praise so he'll understand that's what I want him to do cos at the mo, he just looks at me as if to say what's the point in keeping me on here? We'll get there. And I always keep the 3 p's in mind Smile

Big Grin call me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 21:41

Shontelle wrote:Thanks for the tip staffy-lover. Def gonna give that a go.
No problem! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum