Weighted Vest

2 posters

Go down

Weighted Vest Empty Weighted Vest

Post by Gee Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:10

Hi all,

I am looking into getting Troy a weighted vest to tire him further on walks and also for fitness.

Can anyone recommend one and where to purchase within the UK? I am not having much look finding one to be honest!

Thanks.

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Weighted Vest Empty Re: Weighted Vest

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:18

If you cant find a vest why not try a backpack ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:20

You can get doggie back packs which you can add weight to yourself from ebay or amazon. Most of the dog supply companies do them as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:22

I prefer backpacks as well. I can't remember how old Troy is but if he is over 18 months I think it is an excellent idea. You could try looking on Amazon for something. Remember to go really slow and not to exceed 25% of his body weight. Here's a link with Suki and her pack

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t9678-suki-s-first-hiking-trip?highlight=Suki

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:28

I have looked at backpacks and will get one if I can't find a decent weighted vest, but looking at the vests they are not as bulky which appeals to me more.

Like this:

Weighted Vest 402612~a

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:28

i was about to say jstaff has a back pack. i tried the back pack with lottie yesterday. she was carrying the balls and poo bags and treats and bits while we were out. it was great we werent near a bin for the first lot of crap so she carried that too it was fantastic. i did take it off her when we let them play but then put it back on

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:29

jstaff wrote:I prefer backpacks as well. I can't remember how old Troy is but if he is over 18 months I think it is an excellent idea. You could try looking on Amazon for something. Remember to go really slow and not to exceed 25% of his body weight. Here's a link with Suki and her pack

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t9678-suki-s-first-hiking-trip?highlight=Suki

Oh I like that one, doesn't look bulky at all.

What make is that?

Guess you can pat the pockets down for the ones that are not in use or only carrying small things. Some just look massive.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:42

The company is Ruff Wear based out of the US. They have stores in the UK as well. I'm not advertising for them but I do love the pack. The pockets are detachable so it be used as a harness only as well. It is a bit on the pricey side though.

The reasons I don't like the vest is because it will always weigh the same amount so you can't tailer it to you needs. If we are going on a long walk we only use the pack but if we are going on a shorter walk we will add more weight.

When Suki turned 18 months we started with about 2kg and will add 1kg or a little less for every month and never excedd 25% of her body weight. When we add additional weight we also shorten the walk and then build up slowly to the normal distance. Doing a gradual build up will ensure that she has no devolpmental or injury problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:51

its not a good idea to use a backpack etc on a dog which is less than a year old.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:20

jstaff wrote:The company is Ruff Wear based out of the US. They have stores in the UK as well. I'm not advertising for them but I do love the pack. The pockets are detachable so it be used as a harness only as well. It is a bit on the pricey side though.

The reasons I don't like the vest is because it will always weigh the same amount so you can't tailer it to you needs. If we are going on a long walk we only use the pack but if we are going on a shorter walk we will add more weight.

When Suki turned 18 months we started with about 2kg and will add 1kg or a little less for every month and never excedd 25% of her body weight. When we add additional weight we also shorten the walk and then build up slowly to the normal distance. Doing a gradual build up will ensure that she has no devolpmental or injury problems.

Hmm, not sure about spending shed loads. Seem some on Ebay etc resonably prices. And some of the weighted vests I have seen have zips on the pockets so the bean bag weights can be added and removed. I wouldn't be getting one that is not weight adjustable.

Ty wrote:its not a good idea to use a backpack etc on a dog which is less than a year old.

Troy is 16 months, soon to be 17 months Smile

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:23

As long as the weight is adjustable and it fits him well I think it is a great idea. Just go about introducing it or adding weight very slowly to let him adapt and not cause injury.

I have found that Suki is better behaved with her pack on because it lets her feel like she has a job to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:38

Might go for this one, looks good and is adjustable:

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/1019/109898/kurgo-wander-pack-00071/

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down