thinking about super cute dog number 2

4 posters

Go down

thinking about super cute dog number 2 Empty thinking about super cute dog number 2

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 05:14

So I have been thinking about it - I wanted to wait till Russell was 18months - 2 years old but now I cant stop thinking about it!

just to add though - this is me thinking - I haven't even discussed my recent burst of 2nd dog wanting with Ben yet haha.

do you think it matters with the age Russell is? (14 months)
I don't think I want another staffy - only because I think it would be way full on plus I have this thing where I would rather have a different breed every time I have another dog... variety is the spice of life!

right now I'm thinking strongly about a Whippet! and I would like to rescue but I have searched all over the local rescues and not ONE whippet is available in a rescue.
I would also prefer a younger dog (puppy-12 months)
and a female.

I really like whippets, they are clowns and they are so sleek and smooth, I wouldn't go a grey hound because I hear they are not very playful + Russell seems to have issues with really tall dogs - but then maybe being brought up with one would help that... hmmmm

anyway I'm typing as I am thinking - sorry for the long post!
its like I'm writing in my diary for all of you too read haha

Back to top Go down

thinking about super cute dog number 2 Empty Re: thinking about super cute dog number 2

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 06:20

hmmm now looking into fostering a grey hound with GAP (grey hound adoption program)

looks like this could be something that will help both Russell (to enjoy the company of bigger dogs) help the grey hound (become ready for life as a pet) and help me (to like grey hounds more! I think they're ugly but I bet I'd fall in love)

Back to top Go down

thinking about super cute dog number 2 Empty Re: thinking about super cute dog number 2

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 06:38

Tilly has a good greyhound friend and its comical when she tries to chase him, he just bounds around and leaves her for dust. I don't know about anyone else but Tilly ALWAYS seems to get on with the bigger dogs. Best of luck in your search and hope it all works out well

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Mar 21 2012, 09:31

Fostering would be amazing and from all your posts Russ seems to be very dog friendly. Moo has 2 whippet friends and there loons together!

I think getting him a friend be it foster or perminant is great idea Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 09:33

i think 2 dogs are great they keep each other company. they are full on while playing together cos theyre always running and chasing and sometimes the sound would put me off till i got used to the grunts and groans and growls. i now know its only play but at first it scared me i thought my poor lemmy was getting beaten up till i looked properly and found he wa the one making all the noise Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Mar 21 2012, 09:46

Max met a Whipit pup (tiny Love Struck ) a few months back while both on lead ... and was one of the most gorgeous pups I've EVER seen Surprised ... Max just stood there while she rubbed her tiny little face against his Love Struck , honestly I fell in love straight away Laughing

I know a few people with rescued Greyhounds, and they are lovely dogs, but seem to like their rest!! .. a mad dash around a feild for a bit, and spend the rest of the day sleeping Surprised .. dont think that would work with a hi-energy dog like Max, he wouldnt leave them alone Rolling Eyes
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 09:49

Best of luck in finding a second. We are thinking of getting a second as well. Greyhounds and Whippets are both wonderfull breeds

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Mar 21 2012, 09:57

I've heard that greyhounds make great pets and don't need as much exercise as you think. I think the fostering would be a great idea as it will give you the time to adjust to another dog and see how everyone else would get on with one. Good luck with it all.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 10:01

Andy wrote:
I know a few people with rescued Greyhounds, and they are lovely dogs, but seem to like their rest!! .. a mad dash around a feild for a bit, and spend the rest of the day sleeping Surprised .. dont think that would work with a hi-energy dog like Max, he wouldnt leave them alone Rolling Eyes

rescue grey hounds are usualy ex racers and they do rest a lot cos its part of how they are trained. a racer is trained to train and race and in between sit in the kennel doing nothing. because they are trained to chase the fury little thing they also have muzzles on when just out for a walk. the muzzle is like a signal in the end. no training or racing so the muzzle means calm and walk nice. take the muzzle off and it means race time so chase the fury little thing. my sister rescued an exracer. it had the equivelant of a sprained wrist but can't race again so the owner was going to get his mate to shoot it. she has been working with him so that he can go without his muzzle and still be calm. he goes to the park but has to stay on his lead just now although she did put him on a big long rope one day to see how he went on and he will sniff and try to play with bigger dogs now but still is a bit skittish round the little ones. well he was trained to chase little ones. they can be reconditioned and retrained it just take stime liek every dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 11:05

with the greyhounds adopted GAP they are the only greyhounds in Victoria that are legally allowed out in public with out a muzzle - they have to wear a collar to identify them as from that organisation. but I don't think grey hounds are allowed offlead in public legally even in a dog park, and for that reason I really don't think I could take one on permanently - I love taking the dogs for a run too much and I would feel guilty taking one and not the other.
so this is why I'm looking at the foster program and not to adopt. I can see how I like it.

My mum mentioned that whippets may be too delicate for staffy play, they do have very thin skin and they look slender and delicate but do you think rough staffy play would be too much for them? I would love one of these gorgeous dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 11:12

Dempsey has a greyhound (ex-racer) friend. She's a really friendly girl, about 6 or 7 years old. They ran her till she couldn't run any more & then left her in a kennel to rot. She is very obedient (although it took a bit of training) and comes when called, but she has a very high prey drive & has caught & killed squirrels on a regular basis. Dempsey plays well with her & she's the only dog that gets to 'tell him off' without him getting all dominant/moody!

She only gets 2 walks a day, of around half an hour each time with a bit of free running. She's more than happy with that & will sit on the sofa at hoem & relax the day away now she doesn't have to train & race.

Her owner muzzled her for a couple of months when out, but she doesn't now. Lady (the greyhound) never chases other dogs and only occasionally chases cats if they come into her garden. But outside, the squirrels don't stand a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21 2012, 23:21

Caryll wrote:Dempsey has a greyhound (ex-racer) friend. She's a really friendly girl, about 6 or 7 years old. They ran her till she couldn't run any more & then left her in a kennel to rot. She is very obedient (although it took a bit of training) and comes when called, but she has a very high prey drive & has caught & killed squirrels on a regular basis. Dempsey plays well with her & she's the only dog that gets to 'tell him off' without him getting all dominant/moody!

She only gets 2 walks a day, of around half an hour each time with a bit of free running. She's more than happy with that & will sit on the sofa at hoem & relax the day away now she doesn't have to train & race.

Her owner muzzled her for a couple of months when out, but she doesn't now. Lady (the greyhound) never chases other dogs and only occasionally chases cats if they come into her garden. But outside, the squirrels don't stand a chance.

sounds like she got a great second chance in life (Im assuming most people on here are against racing as I am)
so is it not illegal over there to have greyhounds unmuzzled and offlead? I rarely see greyhounds out and about, but my friend has an ex racer who is absolutely darling

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Mar 21 2012, 23:31

I really do like summut about Whippets as I said, but I just cant see Russell not hurting one accidentally if he's anything Max Sad .. he's so bullish and typically rough !!
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 05:33

yeah thats what I have been thinking too - But! I went to the dog park today with a friend and the only other dogs there were a whippet and a greyhound x whippet and the lil girl whippet (ruby) loved russell and they played chasey the whole time. he did try to rough play and grab her neck scruff a bit which I called him off him because I didn't want him to hurt her, I dunno, this little girl seemed sturdier than I thought they were...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 07:13

I know over here in Western Australia there is a large greyhound rescue group that are always desperate for people to adopt one of the dogs...they are the lucky ones. A woman was only talking about it the other day on the radio..

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Mar 22 2012, 09:07

russdogmum wrote:yeah thats what I have been thinking too - But! I went to the dog park today with a friend and the only other dogs there were a whippet and a greyhound x whippet and the lil girl whippet (ruby) loved russell and they played chasey the whole time. he did try to rough play and grab her neck scruff a bit which I called him off him because I didn't want him to hurt her, I dunno, this little girl seemed sturdier than I thought they were...

That sounds really promising then thumbs up
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 10:12

russdogmum wrote:sounds like she got a great second chance in life (Im assuming most people on here are against racing as I am)
so is it not illegal over there to have greyhounds unmuzzled and offlead? I rarely see greyhounds out and about, but my friend has an ex racer who is absolutely darling

I am 100% against greyhound racing!

No, it isn't illegal to have a greyhound off lead or unmuzzled. If you get a rescue ex-racer, though, the rescue will tell you to muzzle when in public. You need to get a really good recall, but it isn't as hard as people will have you believe. Usually they are so happy to be in a home environment with comfort, regular walks & good food (plus loads of love) that recall is quite easy to teach. They're all different, though, some may never be reliable enough to be let off, but they really don't seem to miss the racing!

I'm not over keen on whippets, simply because they are too slight for my liking!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 10:31

ah interesting, thanks for the info Caryll... I'm almost falling for these dogs before I have even fostered one! still do love Whippets though.

I have signed all the forms and will be a greyhound foster parent within a month nail biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 10:48

russdogmum wrote:ah interesting, thanks for the info Caryll... I'm almost falling for these dogs before I have even fostered one! still do love Whippets though.

I have signed all the forms and will be a greyhound foster parent within a month nail biting

Congratulations and best of luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 11:15

Thats Brilliant! the best thing I done was get a wee friend for Millie, it's great to watch them play.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Mar 22 2012, 11:50

How exciting Big Grin Well done you Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 04:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJgP4HdgKc

how could you not love these clowns Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Mar 23 2012, 04:24

One of my clients rescues Greyhounds. They are really lovely gentle giants. They do love to sleep but can be playful as well. I think she has 4 right now. Racing isn't illegal here either and they run those dogs ragged. They do seem really greatful to have a nice warm cozy home to retire to.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 14:45

wow !.. countdown....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 21:31

WOW! Well done! Can't wait to meet whoever you get Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 21:47

Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down