Teething

2 posters

Go down

Teething Empty Teething

Post by Lily n Skye Sat Dec 04 2010, 23:22

Skye is 5 months old and over the last few days her baby teeth have been falling out and re-growing etc but I have noticed also her breath smells quite a bit it's kind of fishy and she is not eating as much. Also she is a lot quieter, Is this normal when teething, can anyone tell me plse?
Lily n Skye
Lily n Skye
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Teething Empty Re: Teething

Post by janey Sat Dec 04 2010, 23:47

I would say so yes. It really hurts when they teeth, imagine the grief babies go through. I think the smell is maybe just the transition from puppy to adult teeth but just keep an eye on it. Have lots of chewy toys out so Skye can teeth nicely. I also kept a few of my last pups teeth too! Its great to see how quick they grow.

At that age maybe a puppy chew is needed to help pull the teath through and keep them clean. I'm sure she'll be fine. :)o
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily n Skye Sat Dec 04 2010, 23:51

Thanks was just bit unsure about the smelly breath, yes she has always got lots of chewy things we find em all over the house same with her toys, she probs got too many!!! Managed to save 2 teeth up to now awww!!
Lily n Skye
Lily n Skye

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Dec 04 2010, 23:57

The breath thing could be one of many things. As said just keep an eye out but I don't think there is anything to worry about really, its just the change in her, what are you feeding Skye on?

Pleased you managed to find a couple of teeth, I lost mine when I moved and was gutted! one thing that can never be replaced x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily n Skye Sun Dec 05 2010, 00:08

Hi Janey, I feed her on dry food Puppy Purina pro plan she has had that since i got her and she has Eggs and Tuna(breath hasn't smelt with this before)and some occasional cooked meat. I will keep an eye on it, but I am also wondering if she is due 1st season as she is licking herself more and she has more doggy smell and don't know if am imagining it but back end maybe slightly bigger, so thinking it,s bit of both. Although I had a staffy 17yrs and kept pup from 1st litter I can,t really remember their breath going smelly.
Lily n Skye
Lily n Skye

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily n Skye Sun Dec 05 2010, 00:13

Hi Shane when I got her she had dermodex and has had treatment since then and vet gave me advocate vials to apply every 4wks which I have and he said I don't need to use the worming syrup he had previously gave me as the advocate works for everthing incl worms fleas etc. Maybe I do need to worm her too??
Lily n Skye
Lily n Skye

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily n Skye Sun Dec 05 2010, 00:23

Hi Shane will have to look into that and ask vet then coz Advocate maybe not working for worms aswell then! cheers!
Lily n Skye
Lily n Skye

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Dec 05 2010, 00:26

Well as Shane said it maybe due to worms, never had that with mine, but advocate doesnt treat worms. I use drontal for that.

Bad breath I doubt very much is due to a season, although may be involved, but if she's swollen and she's licking then thats a sure sign. Personally I would just watch Skye, make sure she is eating and drinking, fully wormed etc and I think she'll be fine.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 20:16

Awww my dog is teething at the mo aswell .. he lost his first one this afternoon and i managed to see it so i have kept it lol, he however dont have the smelly breath :s ... i was also given the advocate and told i didnt need a wormer as it did all kinds of worms and the fleas, his been fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 21:50

Sometimes, when a puppy tooth comes out, there can be dried blood left nehind which can smell kinda bad. I don't know about 'fishy' but you could just check inside her mouth & round her gums to make sure they look healthy.

She may be eating less because her gums ache. If she's lively & cheerful & not suddenly losing weight I wouldn't worry too much.

You could try giving her a raw meaty bone (chicken wing, lamb ribs or neck - not the big marrow bones)- I don't mean transfer her on to raw feeding, but just a bone a couple of times a week will help to keep her new teeth clean & strong & loosen the old teeth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 17:11

The smell is the blood from the baby teeth falling out or being pulled out during rough play.

When baby teeth are on the move, i up the tugging games as it aids loosen the teeth and pulling the things out. A baby tooth thats half attached is more painful for the pup than teething its self, as the base of the tooth thats detached is sharp and digs into the gum when the pup trys to eat so pup refuses food because of this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 18:37

to soothe the pain of teething i used to wet a teddy and put it in the freezer, then let him chew that he loved it and seemed to ease the annoyance of teething

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily n Skye Wed Dec 08 2010, 16:56

Thanks for all above comments guys! I have gave Skye Drontal as I am convinced its prob worms as she has been choking and balking a bit, so hopefully that will sort it now. 3 or 4 teeth have come out and there are still loose ones which has explained the loss of apetite. Skye is fine in herself now!
Lily n Skye
Lily n Skye

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily n Skye Wed Dec 08 2010, 17:05

yeh took your advice as i already had the drontal the vet gave me b4 the advocate so thought may as well give her some as its a couple of wks since she had advocate now anyway. Will see how she goes now and if no improvement will have a word with vet. Thanks for your help Shane and everyone else cheers.
Lily n Skye
Lily n Skye

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content