Luxating patella

4 posters

Go down

Luxating patella Empty Luxating patella

Post by angelus167 Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:25

Hi

My 18 month old staffy Maisey has just been diagnosed with a luxating patella on her left rear leg. After reading up on this I am terrified and realise this is very evasive surgery. I am mostly concerned about is the after care. Maisey like most staffies, is extremely boistrous and excitable and I don't see how I am going to be able to keep her still for the recovery period which is at lease 8 weeks!!!! I know she will need a cage but she has never had one and I am worried this will stress her out even more than the surgery. I am so scared of her having this operation and although I know it is inevitable at some point, at the moment she seems to be in no pain and almost her normal self. she plays and jumps around as normal. The only way you can notice anything is wrong is that she occasionally skips a step but this doesn't happen often.

I have been referred to another vet regarding this and they are really pushing me into surgery which I know she needs but I want all the facts first. They haven't even told me which grade she has and seem to want to operate asap (like tomorrow!) and they havent even seen her yet! Does anyone have any advice or experience of this!! I would appreciate any help as I want to be prepared as much as possible.

Thanks Emma Sad

angelus167
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maisey
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Luxating patella Empty Re: Luxating patella

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:34

I think there was someone on here a little while ago that had the surgery on their dog. Yes, it was difficult to keep them quiet for the aftercare, but it soon passes and they heal quickly. I wish I could remember who it was!

I'd start to get her crate trained asap though. It's a good way of making sure she doesn't try to over exercise herself for a while.

The good news is that the surgery is usually very successful.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:52

Its not something I know anything about but here's a link where another member was talking about it, the one Caryll means I think

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t3813-luxating-patella?highlight=luxating+patella
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by angelus167 Mon Mar 05 2012, 16:20

Thank you! That helps a lot! Smile

angelus167

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maisey
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Loz&Dan Mon Mar 05 2012, 18:18

Hiii

Our dog Roxy also has it she went to the Vet about a year ago and they said that she should have the surgeory but similaur to you it doesn't happen alot and she doesn't show any pain. After doing some research have seen that there are some supplements that can help this depending on the grade here is a link with the grades and what they involve..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxating_patella

The highest grade needs Surgeory but the other two depending how severee can still live happily without much pain.

I'm no expert but hope this helps a bit Smile
Loz&Dan
Loz&Dan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jasper Faith Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Female 1 Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Wed Mar 07 2012, 13:16

chloe has a luxating patella in her rear leg, but its a mild grade so doesnt need any surgery. i do have to be careful about how much exercise she gets, if she has intense exercise regular it would cause a deterioration. but since being with us she has built up good muscle and this supports the knee, and she hardly limps on it at all now. Smile
Joey
Joey
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : J.D, Rosie, Lottie and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : 7, 4 ,4, 2
Dog Gender(s) : male, female, female, female
Support total : 20

Back to top Go down