Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them..

+3
Steve
steve76
llisa
7 posters

Go down

Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Empty Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them..

Post by llisa Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:45

Right i have 2 Staffs , they are almost 4years old now & I have had them since they were 9 weeks old and fine to leave their mother. I saw both their parents when we selected and paid the fees. Both our dogs our bitches from the same litter. One of them is brindle we call Saff, the other a sandy colour by the name Sky. The brindle Saff is very restless, she seems to struggle to relax, and when she does she tends to have to be so close to us or to her sister Sky that she actually sits on us , this was cute at first but now its becoming a problem, esp for Sky, who has to put up with being squashed or disturbed when she's resting herself. This also causes her to snarl & growl at Saff, & Sky gets what can only be described as mardy or moody, she sulks . I would appreciate any tips or methods any owners might have with regards to managing this behaviour . We have consulted kennels & we were told we should have been advised against keeping 2 bitches from the same litter by the breeders,as this results in distraction and attention problems, but this advise came too little to late as both the dogs were 3 years old by this time, & theres no way we will consider re-homing one of them & keeping the other , we could not choose between them this late on. We are limited with space so are unable to seperate them to sleep so they share a large bed in an enclosed are of our house at night. I just need to train Saff to quit it but so far have failed miserably , but Sky needs this more than Saff does as this affects her the most.Any help at all would be fab. Thanks .

llisa
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Sky & Saff
Dog(s) Ages : 3yrs 8months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitches
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Empty Re: Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them..

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:46

Hi & Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them.. Empty Re: Hiya Staffy owner in Cleethorpes..with questions lots of them..

Post by steve76 Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:52

hello and welcome from me the wife and marley, i'm sure you'll get the advice your looking for soon Big Grin
steve76
steve76
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:56

Hi & welcome to the forum Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:59

Hi & welcome.

Yes, it's a shame they didn't give you warning about 2 siblings! Never mind, I'm sure you're doing all you can for them!

There are a couple of things you try straight away. One is lavender essential oil. Just a couple of small drops on her forehead & chest, and a couple of small drops dotted in two or three places on her bedding might help her relax a lot more. Another thing you could consider is a DAP diffuser

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_3/280-0513661-2558869?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dap+diffuser&sprefix=DAP%2Caps%2C1194

or a DAP collar

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_3/280-0513661-2558869?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dap+diffuser&sprefix=DAP%2Caps%2C1194#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dap+collar&sprefix=dap+collar%2Caps%2C334&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adap+collar

Either or both of these could help to ease her anxiety. Or you could try a Thundershirt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_3/280-0513661-2558869?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dap+diffuser&sprefix=DAP%2Caps%2C1194#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thundershirt&sprefix=thunders%2Caps%2C334&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Athundershirt

A couple of people on this forum have used these to great benefit.

Has she always been like this? Is she scared of anything specifically? And how do you react when she is like this?

Last edited by Caryll on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:12; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:03

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile

Have you considered crate training? Not used them myself and I have never had 2 bitches together but from advice I have heard it may help.

2 bitches together can be hard work and espacially the same age/litter, but it can work Smile

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:19

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

I can vouch for DAP products we use the spray for Rocky sometimes when he gets a bit stressed. You just spray it on 10 minutes before the dog will be in contact with the item. The collars are great too Rocky also had one of these when we got him from the rescue centre. It did have a calming effect.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 01:34

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Excellent advise from Caryll and crates might also work so they have their own space

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 08:28

hello and welcome from me and billy

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 12:54

Hi and welcome to the forum from Tyson and me. Are your bitches spayed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 13:30

Hi from me, Harv and Chance Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by billysgirl Mon Feb 27 2012, 18:26

Hiya and welcome to the forum wave

billysgirl

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Tue Feb 28 2012, 11:46

Hello and welcome aboard Smile
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down