Dog size

+2
CMR
JimmyA1
6 posters

Go down

Dog size Empty Dog size

Post by JimmyA1 Sat Feb 18 2012, 05:41

After looking at all your dog pic's Bruce seems small,I know no two dogs are ever the same and they don't grow at the same rate but i would just like to know what you think.
he is 7 months old
3/4 staff 1/4 bull terrier
hight 39 cm
chest 52 cm
neck to tail 53 cm
weight 12.7kg
JimmyA1
JimmyA1
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bruce and Jesse
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr and 15 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog size Empty Re: Dog size

Post by CMR Sat Feb 18 2012, 07:51

well, I have small kids and to make sure they don't get toppled over much I went for the shortest parents I found. consequently my girl at 2.5 yo is as tall as your puppy but weighs 14-15 kgs. she is very athletic but a short * nonetheless (more like a pug Big Grin)

what I did find is that she looks massive and mean in some pictures which makes me think it might be a staffie illusion.

btw, the hight is to shoulder, right?

Last edited by CMR on Sat Feb 18 2012, 07:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : something to add ??!! :))
CMR
CMR
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 18 2012, 10:09

Seems about right but as you said they all grow at different rates. Most people tend to think theirs is undersized until they hit a growth spurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Feb 18 2012, 10:22

I wouldnt worry about it TBH, I never took any measurments when any of my boys were pups, just weight, and they vary soooooo much! Max is a biggish lad, but had times where he gained weight really fast, then others where he hardly gained at all, then he shot up one month, and stayed that height for the next few months and so on ... your boy has a LOT of growing to do yet Wink
Andy
Andy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 18 2012, 10:29

Cant really judge until he is fully grown at about 2 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 18 2012, 10:30

As a rule they keep growing upwards till they're about a year - 18 months or so old, so still plenty of growing to do!

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesboro Sat Feb 18 2012, 14:43

I found that Jake only grew upwards till 8 month. He was 18 inches and 18.5 kg at 8 month. By age 2 he was 18 inches and 22kg. Nelly is just over 5 months and weighs 10.5 kg and is 14 1/2 (approx 35cm) inches at the shoulders. Like a previous post said they all grow at different rates just be sure your feeding a quality diet, non of this Bakers, Pedigree ect cr@p (ie anything you can get at the supermarket!) thats full of filler.
jamesboro
jamesboro

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Nellie
Dog(s) Ages : 5 mths
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Sat Feb 18 2012, 20:53

dont worry. me and a friend both have staffs from the same breeder. Her's is 5 years old and mine is 4 months, they are the same size at the momment!
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Sat Feb 18 2012, 21:16

Don't worry about it, seriously.
My dog was tiny and wrinkly with a pot belly and a tiny shrimp head and no one thought he was a staffy.
He always had really big front paws and people would say 'oo he's going to be a big boy!' and he reached 14 inch in height and stopped growing and i was like pfft yeh right.
Then when he was about 15 months he suddenly put on loads of muscle, I think it was 6kg, which is a lot for such a short dog.
I do wish I had a puppy picture so I could show you a 'before' and 'after' but sadly I lost all his puppy pics. Sad

Just converted your measurements into inches! He's not even small, hes taller then my dog Laughing Staffies aren't meant to be large dogs. The current breed standard is 14-16inches tall for males and quite a light weight. I think my boy is double the breed standard weight. Also if hes part bull terrier he could well be a bit bigger and heavier as bullies are much larger then staffies.
My dog looks huge and threatening in photos but hes only a wee little thing that doesn't even reach my knee! Laughing

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmyA1 Sat Feb 18 2012, 22:20

shakespearesdog wrote:My dog looks huge and threatening in photos but hes only a wee little thing that doesn't even reach my knee! Laughing
He does big doesn't he ? Bruce seems to grow in sperts he doesn't seem to grow for a week or two then put a inch on over night
JimmyA1
JimmyA1

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bruce and Jesse
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr and 15 yrs
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Sat Feb 18 2012, 22:29

He does big doesn't he ? Bruce seems to grow in sperts he doesn't seem to grow for a week or two then put a inch on over night

I saw Bruce's pic in the gallery and he looks fantastic anyway. My boy at that age was so wrinkly and fat, everyone thought he was some sort of mastiff puppy or a bulldog. He still has the bulldog body. His actual chest has been the same size since he was eight months (26 inch) but he had nothing to fill it. Tongues

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 18 2012, 23:56

your dog is the same height as my lemmy and he is 14 months old

Back to top Go down