linzy
mika123
Tyler&megsmum
7 posters

Go down

Do you have insurance Empty Do you have insurance

Post by Tyler&megsmum Wed Jan 04 2012, 20:33

For your dogs ?

I have both mine insured,after Meg has cost a fair bit in vets bills,her last bill was for £349,she had a nasty virus,she was kept in the vets for 36 hours on a drip, and it took 3 lots of ab's to clear it up completely.

Tyler has never been to the vets for any illness,only to have his bloods done for testing for L2 and HC.

But not taking anymore chances and would rather have them insured just in case,we are with direct line and it costs £20 per month for both of them,£80 excess and £4500 in vets bills plus the other stuff like 3rd party.....
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyler & Meg
Dog Gender(s) : Dog & bitch
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Do you have insurance Empty Re: Do you have insurance

Post by mika123 Wed Jan 04 2012, 20:36

yes we had mika as a pup she has a leg condition something to do with the knee cap kept on clicking out of place cost us in total for x rays and op £1,200.00. After that we got both of them insured with Tesco 21 pounds a month with 60 pounds excess and over 4 grand for any treatment needed.

mika123
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : mika and poppy
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 20:39

I insured Dempsey with Sainsbury's. £7500 per condition for life, £15 per month (ish) and £75 excess. They also pay out very quickly; I've claimed over £5000 in 18 months & on renewal they only upped the premium by £2 per month.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 20:42

We have insurance as well. I think it's a good investment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 20:43

we were considering insurance but then the excess is stupid and not all things are covered. lemmy had some little lumps that we didnt know what they were and the vet wanted to do a biopsy. luckily the lumps vanished on their own and havent come back but if we had the biopsy done it was £300 then there would have been what ever treatment after. the excess was £75 and the biopsy would not have been covered. Treatment is covered but not the diagnosis so we never bothered

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Wed Jan 04 2012, 20:45

I have insurance for Violet - I'm too much of a worrier not to!
linzy
linzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 20:53

_julie_ wrote:we were considering insurance but then the excess is stupid and not all things are covered. lemmy had some little lumps that we didnt know what they were and the vet wanted to do a biopsy. luckily the lumps vanished on their own and havent come back but if we had the biopsy done it was £300 then there would have been what ever treatment after. the excess was £75 and the biopsy would not have been covered. Treatment is covered but not the diagnosis so we never bothered

What company was that? I just had a look at mine, and whatever the vet deems necessary to diagnose & treat a problem is covered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 21:34

pets direct not gunna bother getting any never paid enough to claim for any vets fees and i know its for the inevitable but its like house insurance i have never ha to claim but ahve been paying it for 25 years so how much money has that company made out of me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 21:38

_julie_ wrote:pets direct not gunna bother getting any never paid enough to claim for any vets fees and i know its for the inevitable but its like house insurance i have never ha to claim but ahve been paying it for 25 years so how much money has that company made out of me.

I know what you mean, my oh said the same thing just before we got Dempsey. He's changed his mind now - we certainly didn't have £5000+ put aside for all the treatment he's had to have!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 21:40

its a shame he was ill hope he's better. i havent that kind of money put a way would have to think about it at the time. we have never had insurance for any dog we have had and luckily they have all been fine. prince died of old age. as for sabre well there was no tretment that would have saved him. wouldnt have got insurance for sabre anyway cos he had hip displacia so no company would touch him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 22:16

_julie_ wrote:pets direct not gunna bother getting any never paid enough to claim for any vets fees and i know its for the inevitable but its like house insurance i have never ha to claim but ahve been paying it for 25 years so how much money has that company made out of me.

Worst thing is though , once you make that commitment not to buy it based on experience is when you end up with a horrible bill that really sets you back. We always get insurance for our dogs, washing machines and televisions as we have been bitten by them all (but not literally with dogs Smile ) I will now avoid Pet Plan as although it is really good it is also really expensive and this time since Tilly was brand new out of the box she has been on the higher Direct Line policy, 1 claim so far and no complaints

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 22:45

I have both of mine insured with pets @ home, costs £25 a month altogether Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 23:09

I only insured Monty tonight. Ive got superior cover for £13 a month, £99 excess ( although I will be changing that when I get the paperwork through as I had another choice of £65), £20000 annual cover and £2000 for any single condition. Tbh I held back on the insurance but after seeing the state on my boys face tonight I'm not taking any chances. And knowing my luck, the inevitable would happen if I didn't get him covered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04 2012, 23:09

Oh and the only thing that isn't covered is anything dental.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Thu Jan 05 2012, 00:16

We have insurance we are with esure, 6.63 a month. £75 excess and £3500 per illness.

Only thing is the oh has taken out a year's policy not a lifetime policy....just found this out looking at the policy documents. Is it true if she got an illness this year and we claimed for it that this wouldn't be covered at the end of the year when we have to renew the policy? That is now worrying me slightly!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Jan 05 2012, 01:14

I don't. I have paid a lot of vet bills over the years so that means if I get some, I will never need it. Laughing
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05 2012, 08:28

i have, its about £13.00 a month with a £70.00 excess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05 2012, 09:12

bbimson wrote:I don't. I have paid a lot of vet bills over the years so that means if I get some, I will never need it. Laughing

Same here. always managed with all my animals but I suppose I am being really silly.... Ty's eylids for instance. Going to look into getting some.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05 2012, 20:51

Over here there is a big private health company that has begun pet insurance. We never got it for Dita... no reason why, we just never did. Other than her vaccinations and desexing, she has never been to the vet. We are getting it for Vlad and top cover will cost (AUD) $44 a month which is approx 20 pound. We will add Dita as well because the second pet is discounted and we will get it before she starts getting old and may need a bit more medical attention. I have been keeping an eye on her as I think she be diabetic... she drinks A LOT of water. She will only eat dry food (she's odd for a cat... every other cat we've had or known will tear your arm off for meat or if they smell fish... she doesn't... you put it in her bowl and it stays there... but she does eat mango and apricot pieces) and we bought her a new water dish yesterday as she drink sooo much during the day she needs another one, so we bought her a small dog one... ANYWAY big detour there... short of it yes LOL we will get insurance for the pets Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jan 05 2012, 22:19

I have the dog insured, but not the house! Go figure Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Jan 06 2012, 08:25

janey wrote:

Ahem, same here Laughing
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 08:51

Scubasteve wrote:Only thing is the oh has taken out a year's policy not a lifetime policy....just found this out looking at the policy documents. Is it true if she got an illness this year and we claimed for it that this wouldn't be covered at the end of the year when we have to renew the policy? That is now worrying me slightly!

That really depends on the policy - check the wording. All policies are for 1 year, it's the cover that you need to check. Have a look & make sure that the insured amounts are per condition for life. It should say in the policy document, but if you're not sure give them a ring. You must know, it's important if you get a long lasting condition such as diabetes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 09:11

janey wrote:

Laughing

Clearly you know what's more important Wink (my parents don't have house insurance either !)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 09:54

janey wrote:

Same here Laughing
I recently changed to for life insurance for both dogs when I got Bella. I hadn't realised before that Millie's had been for a year, any illness was classed as pre-existing. I've had cats my whole life and never needed insurance. The only cat who needed the vet apart from spaying and injections had cancer in her spine and there was nothing the vet could do for her. but I wouldn't be without it for the dogs. Millie chewed a tube of cream a few years ago, I hadn't noticed it fell on the floor, she spent 4 nights in the vets on a drip and getting steroids. Was close to £1000 bill so I was very glad I had it. I had been told that dogs will chew and eat anything. I hadn't realised that meant absolutely anything they could get in their mouth Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by chris1978 Fri Jan 06 2012, 13:11

We have both dogs insured with the PDSA, both have £7000 vet bills cover. £1,000,000 third party excess plus a load of other protection with it.for only £26 a month for both
chris1978
chris1978

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy & Shadow
Dog Gender(s) : female , male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 14:31

These are the amounts Dempsey's covered for with Sainsbury's at £17 per month...

Option 2 Limits Claim Basis
1 Veterinary fees £7,500 per condition
Complementary treatment £1,000 per condition
Behavioural problems £250 per period of insurance
Clinical diet £200 per condition
Overseas veterinary treatment £2,500 per condition
Cremation £100 per incident
2 Personal liability £2,000,000 per incident
3 Emergency boarding kennels and cattery fees £100 per week (max £1,000)
4 Daily minding £100 per week (max £1,000)
5 Advertising costs £1,000 per period of insurance Reward costs £250
per period of insurance
6 Theft or straying £750 per incident
7 Death caused by injury £1,500 per incident
8 Death from illness £1,000 per incident
9 Trip cancellation or return home £3,000 per period of insurance
10 Expenses for referral to another vet £150 per period of insurance
11 Accidental damage £500 per period of insurance
12 Damage to kennel or basket £100 per period of insurance
13 Personal accident to owner £5,000 per incident
14 Quarantine costs £2,000 per trip
15 Loss of health certificate £250 per incident
16 Repeat tick and worming treatment Reasonable costs per incident

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06 2012, 15:04

Caryll wrote:These are the amounts Dempsey's covered for with Sainsbury's at £17 per month...

Option 2 Limits Claim Basis
1 Veterinary fees £7,500 per condition
Complementary treatment £1,000 per condition
Behavioural problems £250 per period of insurance
Clinical diet £200 per condition
Overseas veterinary treatment £2,500 per condition
Cremation £100 per incident
2 Personal liability £2,000,000 per incident
3 Emergency boarding kennels and cattery fees £100 per week (max £1,000)
4 Daily minding £100 per week (max £1,000)
5 Advertising costs £1,000 per period of insurance Reward costs £250
per period of insurance
6 Theft or straying £750 per incident
7 Death caused by injury £1,500 per incident
8 Death from illness £1,000 per incident
9 Trip cancellation or return home £3,000 per period of insurance
10 Expenses for referral to another vet £150 per period of insurance
11 Accidental damage £500 per period of insurance
12 Damage to kennel or basket £100 per period of insurance
13 Personal accident to owner £5,000 per incident
14 Quarantine costs £2,000 per trip
15 Loss of health certificate £250 per incident
16 Repeat tick and worming treatment Reasonable costs per incident

I am going to go through mine tonight as I've just had all the paper work through from Monty's insurers, if mine is nothing like yours, I'm going to look at going with Sains' for that cover !

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Jan 06 2012, 16:33

Caryll wrote:
Scubasteve wrote:Only thing is the oh has taken out a year's policy not a lifetime policy....just found this out looking at the policy documents. Is it true if she got an illness this year and we claimed for it that this wouldn't be covered at the end of the year when we have to renew the policy? That is now worrying me slightly!

That really depends on the policy - check the wording. All policies are for 1 year, it's the cover that you need to check. Have a look & make sure that the insured amounts are per condition for life. It should say in the policy document, but if you're not sure give them a ring. You must know, it's important if you get a long lasting condition such as diabetes.

Thanks Caryll, will read through her policy later. I think the cover only lasts for year and needs to be renewed each year, in which case I would rather change it just incase!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content