ball obsessed

3 posters

Go down

ball obsessed Empty ball obsessed

Post by staffyjaff Sun Nov 14 2010, 18:54

we have recently adopted a ten month old staffy. he is very well trained and hardly any problems so far but he is obsessed by playing and chewing hard rubber balls, he wont give up until he has destroyed them, our concern is that he may be swallowing small pieces of rubber, can anyone suggest ways to distract him or does anyone know of a indestructable make that we can get for him

staffyjaff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

ball obsessed Empty Re: ball obsessed

Post by Guest Sun Nov 14 2010, 19:45

all dogs need to chew, especially puppies and at then months your dog is still considered a pup, i found in my experience with staffys they love to chew things and destroy them aswell its just the way they are bred, ive heard that other people on here use a toy called a kong it meant to be indestructible, you could also give him a boomer ball to play with he will have a very hard time getting through one of them, my dog has her own toy to play it, i made it myself from HDPE, its a high dentisty polypropylene ethylene material, but i worked in a company that used this kind of material and this is how i acquired it, i have had it since Katie was a pup and its still going strong, im sure they will be plenty of people here to give you tips and point you in the right direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Nov 14 2010, 20:08

I wouldn't worry about him swallowing it, they generally just chew it and spit the pieces out! I'm afraid its a very common Staffy trait! Toys dont generally last longer than 5 mins!! I have rubber hockey balls (there from a girls highschool where we walk) they are magic! Otherwise I tend to buy cheap dog toys and replace them monthly!!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 14 2010, 21:36

I just bought a kong today ill let you know how it is when I've put it to the test. Blue as some of them rubber type bones. They are about a tenner but well worth it. They do chew them up but 1 bones lasts about 2-3months

Last edited by bigwazza on Mon Nov 15 2010, 17:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : blue you had a king instead of a kong lol)

Back to top Go down

Post by staffyjaff Mon Nov 15 2010, 16:49

thanks for all your help, we've taken all the info in my husband has polypropline but thought it may be too hard a compound for him so now he will make it into bones shapes for Jack
Thanks once again

staffyjaff

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Thu Nov 18 2010, 20:05

i dont think their is a staff that dont love to chow....
iv got a kong ball and it is the best thing toy wise iv ever bought....

just bear in mind that he dont get to over fixated over it as he gets older..
can be a bit of a pain...

sticks balls are my twos best thing to destroy................. \\m/
scott
scott

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : stich lelo
Dog Gender(s) : stich(m) lelo(f)
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 18 2010, 20:56

Nylabones are good. They scratch up as they're chewed & it helps clean the teeth. Also, some of them are meat flavoured so extra nice ( :-& ). If you get the larger ones they're pretty indestructible (well, they last longer than most!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 18 2010, 21:19

Got Blue a Nylabone (chicken flavoured) for about a tenner. Well worth it only thing to watch out for is the bone ends up with rough and sharp edges. So when you get up in the morning for that brew and he flys past you with it in his gob, your normaly get your calfs sliced as he runs past

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Fri Nov 19 2010, 19:41

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Got Blue a Nylabone (chicken flavoured) for about a tenner. Well worth it only thing to watch out for is the bone ends up with rough and sharp edges. So when you get up in the morning for that brew and he flys past you with it in his gob, your normaly get your calfs sliced as he runs past

lol.............. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

i know that felling.............. raised eyebrows
scott
scott

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : stich lelo
Dog Gender(s) : stich(m) lelo(f)
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down