1 Year old Staff who is dog aggressive

4 posters

Go down

1 Year old Staff who is dog aggressive Empty 1 Year old Staff who is dog aggressive

Post by Guest Sun Sep 05 2010, 20:09

Hi all, Hope you are all well.
I have recently got a approx 1 year old Irish Blue Staff off my sister who has rescued him from a family who battered him including kids. In the 3 weeks I have had him I've managed to get him allot calmer.
I Walk him at least 2 hours a day and do obedience training (5mins) 3 times a day. he has already learnt to sit, sit stay, lie down, lie down and stay, give me his paw and play dead.
I walk though all doorways etc first, he eats last and now walks 90% of the time at my heel. So he has made massive improvements in such a short time. I have 1 main problem left to sort.
As soon as he see's any dog, within a millisecond he is in the state of mind where he wants to kill them.
In the house he is very food motivated but as soon as we walk outside food/praise/toy motivation goes out the window. So I can't do bar open bar, closed technique so he connnects other dogs with good things like treats. Nor do I get any chance to snap him out of the state of mind at the early stage as he goes to kill mode straight away. I am calm 95% of the time and am seen as the pack leader so I don't think he is doing it as a protection thing.
Has anyone got any ideas of what i can do to get him in a state of mind where he can see being nice to other dogs is a good thing.
Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my post.
Laughing

Back to top Go down

1 Year old Staff who is dog aggressive Empty Re: 1 Year old Staff who is dog aggressive

Post by Steve Sun Sep 05 2010, 20:28

Poor dog Sad some people needs locking up,

i'm sure i have seen this on a tv training dog programme. when you see another dog you stop turn around and walk the other way . you have to make sure he's not looking back at the the other dog and that will signal to the dog that you are in control.

i'm sure someone else may have an other ideas.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

1 Year old Staff who is dog aggressive Empty Re: 1 Year old Staff who is dog aggressive

Post by Guest Sun Sep 05 2010, 20:32

Thank You Steve.
The next time im out I'll try it and let you know how I get on.
Thing that makes me laugh is I also have a kitten and that batters the dog if it tries it on, so why this dog has it in his head that he can take a fully grown pit bull I'll never know lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Sep 05 2010, 20:35

my sam is the same he runs away from cats lol but if he see a bigger dog than him he turns into a right crazy dogs.

he got attack by 2 big boxers when he was only 8 months old i think that why he dont like bigger dogs.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 06 2010, 10:00

Hi Steve, Hope your still feeling super fit today.
I took my dog out for a walk and changed direction when we seen a dog but he is in the danger zone state of mind straight away so he just kept looking and trying to get towards the dog.
So I thought I would try some compressed air and some treats. I sprayed the air, but no way near him and he went to a calm state straight away and ate a treat for being good, which is un heard of with this dog, he has never eaten any treats outside our house.
I just wanted him in a calm state for me to work with, so well made up. Ill try air again tonight and see if it continues to work, hopefully he will start to connect everytime he sees a dog he gets treats and sees it as a good thing.
Thank you for your suggestion steve i will probably try it again once he starts to remain a bit calmer around other dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon Sep 06 2010, 21:24

aww what a sad story these evil people need locking up i tell u sounds like your doing a good job with him to me i never have a problem with my kaiser with other dogs if one goes for him he runs off with his tail between his legs no matter what size it is lol dont think he realises what he could do if he wanted to Laughing
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Mon Sep 06 2010, 21:36

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/feeds/cv-seo/Dog-Whisperer/Full-Episodes/

the dog whisperer has helped me and lady so much.
in 2 days she is walking calmly,she used to be crazy and anxious.
we walked past people and dogs today,never thought we could do that so soon.

she is alott more relaxed.

good luck x
princess
princess
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lady
Dog Gender(s) : girly whirly
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 06 2010, 22:32

Hi Princess
I started watching the dog whisperer the day i got my staffie and now have it on series link. I would never have got to the stage the dog and i are at without cesar. The bloke is amazing in how well he understands dogs and is able to communicate with them.
This is a dog that has been battered by adults and kids had a fear of bin bags and cones (no idea why) and now only has a problem with other dogs in 3 weeks. I would never have got to this stage without cesar making me understand how a dog thinks and their needs.
I like yourself am a massive fan of cesar. Thanks for the link, only site i looked at was cesar's own homepage, yours is much better for watching them.

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Mon Sep 06 2010, 23:33

thats great news.my partner sent me the link.
I am so glad you are getting so far with your beautiful doggie.
I have the audio programme of the dog whisperer,would you like a copy?

funny you know,lady was afraid of the sweeping brush Sad she is better now than she was.
thats some major progress.

with lady today i broke her trance if she focused on another dog,I tapped her side with my leg,said ''sch''and pulled her in the cesar way.
and walked confident,she put up a small fight,good girl,I was purposely walking past people with dogs,it felt so much better for the 2 of us.

there are a few vids there with the walking ,you will enjoy.

do you have the link to cesars homepage
thanks
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 08 2010, 21:15

Hi all
princess I think cesars homepage is http://www.cesarsway.com/

I have been taking my dog out at least twice a day and haven't seen any dogs since the last time bloody typical.......wanna sort out his dog aggression but finding it hard when there are no bloody dogs to get aggressive with. Thinking of going fancy dress shop and dressing up as one myself lol

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Wed Sep 08 2010, 22:03

Lady was doing great then today its as if we havn't trained,I feel a bit disheartened but hey we try again tomorrow. Sad
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 09 2010, 08:12

I get days like that,think why is he pulling he was perfect yesterday.
Well this morning we finally got to see some dogs.....5 in total....none for ages then 5 lol and he never went for 1 and i didn't have to use the spray. He tensed up, but never went for them or even make a growling noise. Wohoo!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 09 2010, 11:24

Thats brillient news well done you.

Princess, dont get disheartened they are so stubborn, just keep installing what your doing and Lady will start to be more constant. x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Thu Sep 09 2010, 22:30

she did great today,u would have been so proud of her.
we took her to a new field,she was actually better off the lead than on.
she came accross other dogs and was well behanved.
I am so proud of her.

I watched cesar again ,all three dvds and feel much better.
I believe I need to watch Cesar daily to really train me.

thankjs for the support janey,very much appreciated xx
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 09 2010, 22:37

Arr im made up for you, well done. It's a great feeling when all that hard work pays off.
I would have been lost without cesar, only had a dog for 3 weeks and i've learnt so much from him. Always had dogs when i was a kid but it was never my responsibiity.
Another thread on here asking what we would change in the law about owning a dog, I think before you can have a dog you should have to read one of cesars books to understand what you should be doing to look after a dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 09 2010, 22:42

Great news for your little lady, they are funny little things and definatly a new field helped, I know when I've told mine off on a certain walk if I do that walk again even a week later she will link it to being told off and act up. They remember!! Great progress hun. She will get there. Mines far better off lead than on with other people/dogs. Make sure you do some road walking too as that helps you to be in total control which earns there confidence. Let me no how your getting on x x x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Thu Sep 09 2010, 23:22

ha!!see my spelling mistakes and thats without the wine hahahahha
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 09 2010, 23:28

Nice one shane, have been thinking of getting that done to my dog. Mainly been thinking of it for the health benifits but if it makes him more chilled and happier as well then its well worth doing

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Fri Sep 10 2010, 20:06

hows the training going today?

ours has been better in some ways,but not in others.
I know rehabilitating a dog holds its challenges and can take that bit longer.

she has improved massive amounts since she first came.
I keep remionding myself.

at the moment we are working on her answering to her name
and walking respectfully.me being pack leader.

she actually walked behind me on the way home today,she had ran off at the field and almost walked on hot tarmac .
we really have no choice than to get this sorted.

princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10 2010, 20:10

Walking behind you is very good.
I can only get my staffy to walk next to me and off leash is not possible at the moment.
I have a 8m lead so he can have a bit of a wonder.
Can't wait for him to stop pretending he is deaf when i try and call him back so I can start to allow him more freedom of being off leash.
Oh I know he can bloody hear me cos when I shout him he turns his head in the opporsite direction lol

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Fri Sep 10 2010, 21:55

she was so much calmer for walking behind,she did try to challenge it,which is great,I love that.
the lead was so slack,I had to check she was on the other end still.

I use less vocals and more body language,seems to help alott.

princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10 2010, 22:00

Lol I think I would be like that if blue stayed behind me. Checking him every 5 secs thinking has he escaped?
I did the same and found myself staying calm. First week when I was more vocal I found myself getting wound up every so often which obviously doesn't help when im trying to be calm and assertive, hasn't happened since i used body language instead of vocal instructions.

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Fri Sep 10 2010, 22:06

same here with the vocal thing.
I was getting way too frustrated,making us both unhappy.not fun Sad

is blue still walking calm behind?

for me I found it changed everything,it changed how he was when there were cats,when people passed etc etc.

when we got home I rewarded her with a well deserved fuss.

Then layed her in submission (on her side),and firmly put my hand on her shoulder.and said ''shhhh''.

she challenged this,I calmly went over twice more.calm.
she now is sleeping soundly.

so my mission is to get this an established habit,I am walking her just around the neighbourhood morning and evening.when theres a few distractions,but not too many,we can gradually build.

good luck with yours x
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10 2010, 22:12

You seem to be doing the techniques as me. (Mainly thanks to cesar millan) you seem to be doing really well so its good to hear how well your both doing. Makes me feel like im heading in the right direction. I bet she is loving you for it, I can feel a massive grouth in our bonding in the last fortnight.
He is very good on walks stay directly in line with me 95% of the time.
I know take him cycling down the canal for about 4 miles early every morning and he is even better then. He seems to be in a working state of mind so doesn't get distracted sniffing, fouling etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Fri Sep 10 2010, 22:28

when you first put him with your bike,how was the experience?did he run in a straight line?did you take it easy?
I really must do this with lady.
sounds like blue is doing amazingly well,especially to stay in linbe with you,takes them great strength not to challenge it doesn't it?I really respect them when they try so hard.
do you have a long lead along side the bike?see I bike everywhere.
same here with the bonding.Cesar sure is a MASSIVE help.

what he says and does,it all makes absalute sense doesn't it?

tonight I was laughing at myself on the inside,I was walking pretending I was a dog in charge of a full pack,it was fun Smile

princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10 2010, 22:47

rofl i have done that, pretending to be a gladiator didn't work. In fact at one point i was very close to getting on all 4's to help me put feelings into acting the alpha male dog lol.
I use his flat collar and an 8m retractable lead. I went slow at first and he ran by my side from the start. I took him down the canal so if he pulled me over, at worst i was going for a unplanned swim. Now if lock it at the shortest length when im on the path near a road and let him run the full 8m if he wants on the canel. He ran in front of the bike a couple of times at first but i just went "ah" and he soon learn't
It amazing you should do it. This morning he was running at full speed for a couple of mins and i was at the side of him cycling watching him. It was amazing watching him run and seeing all his muscles. it was one of them wow moments

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Sat Sep 11 2010, 00:03

That sounds amazing,very freeing for him too.
I don't think Lady is quite ready yet though,I am still teaching her
to respect me as a pack leader,I trust I will know when the time and place is right.
we have a bike track that runs all the way through.the lead length needs to be plenty long then.
I could actually run her from one end of the cycle track to the other.
Yeh I think my only concern would be her just belting.
were you off balance when he ran out front?

she may surprise me,who knows.though I shall wait for now.

It amazing you should do it. This morning he was running at full speed for a couple of mins and i was at the side of him cycling watching him. It was amazing watching him run and seeing all his muscles. it was one of them wow moments

me and lady have to do that,I could go out with her really nice and early and run her the whole track.

did he naturally run in sync with the bike?he didnt try chase anything etc?
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Sat Sep 11 2010, 00:11

I just ordered her a retractable lead,told me partner about it.I am well excited for us now Smile

thanks Irish
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 11 2010, 08:56

No probs Hope it goes well for you.
I go near roads now cos I know he's fine. The canal part is where I let him go behind or in front. But on the road its locked at the lowest length and he runs in sync with me there. I speed up and slow right back down again.....he does the same.
I read somewhere that to get them used to the bike take it with you when you walk your dog. Just push it at the side of you and get the dog used to walking next to it. If she walks ahead of the bike correct her. This way she gets used to being next to the bike at all times and while she's learning that you aren't getting pulled off the bike.
After she is used to walking next to the bike, try riding slow for short periods. That bike track near yours sounds ideal as no cars incase she does bolt off. Each dog learns different stuff at different rates. Lucky for me Blue learnt the bike thing really quickly, getting him to allow me to go the toilet in peace is the one I think he is gonna takes months to do lol

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Sat Sep 11 2010, 10:06

with blue going for other dogs,with lady I walk past and tug her lead constantly saying ''shhh''.so she soesnt get a chance to get too locked and show her teeth.
are there any pre attack signs in his body language,his ears prick up maybe?

I think to be honest I am so strict with her lead walking,she will be fine with the bike.and I guess if she does get carried away,.I can stop the bike dead and sort her.
it wouldn't be possible for me to walk a bike and walk her.I need both hands and full attention when she is walking.

today she didn't like it so much,me entering the house and a room before her.she callenged it,refused to sit,then sat so her butt hovered the ground.
I had to put her in submission when the cat came in,I did rub her chest to sooth her whilst he passed,she stayed down.

I am having to be so firm right from the time we see eachother onwards.but its working.
yesterday she almost burnt herself on hot tarmac,thats when I knew I had to get totally focused and be her pack leader always.

every little thing she does to be dominant,I lay her down,if she ''ignores'',she gets put into submit on her bed,I sit and watch over her,she really doesn't like that.

I do use cesars bite hand when she gets heavy .
Part of me today feels awful for being so firm,but at the same time I know the consequences if I don't.

she is now on her bed,totally relaxed,she looks at me with more respect too.I am sure its making our connection stronger.

with the bike track,I am sure she will like blue be enjoying running so much,she will stay with the bike as she will be feeling for direction.

getting her to the track from my home could be slightly tricky,but it may not,we shall see how it goes.

todays training Smile

* coming into the house and rooms after me
* walking on the lead behind me
* submit position when she gets too challenging
* sit,stay,wait
* eats food when I einstruct she can
* sit by my feet for a cuddle/tv watching
* ball play

you could also put blue down into submission when he is too crazy with other dogs,cesar shows this here in the first one:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/feeds/cv-seo/Dog-Whisperer/Full-Episodes/

you are doing great.blue is a very lucky boy ,sounds like he is calming and doing so great.well done xxxx
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Sat Sep 11 2010, 14:09

she did it!!she ran with the bike it was AWESOME.

I only fell off once at the start.
it was bit jerky to begin with,then she took right to it.

there were a couple of times she thought about stopping,but was for a second then she was running again.

we took it fairly slowly
speeded up a little.
we went through town,we went past the ducks.

was awesome Smile
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 11 2010, 21:36

Big Grin Nice one. People were saying to me its dangerous but i found once they know that the bike is a good thing they never pull. They are too busy concentrating on burning energy.
Im so made up for you both.
I think also it relaxs them more. I think they get the feeling they have worked more than they do when they go on a long walk. According to cesar dogs need to work everyday to make them feel balanced.
Im so glad you enjoyed it and princess was good for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Sat Sep 11 2010, 22:43

oh we went and had a blast,we biked everywhere.
she was so much better outside the shops too.

she felt less jumpy and all that jazz.thanks a billion Irish.

you are right,cesar does say that.
we both earnt how food...hehehe

how was your day?
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 12 2010, 00:38

I had a nice chilling day thanks.
Took the dog on a slow chilling 2 hour walk which was nice.
Got home and it lashed it down so we timed that well Big Grin
So good to hear you both had a great time

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Sun Sep 12 2010, 00:46

excellentey,great ta hear.
mine is sleeping like a baby Smile
princess
princess

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 15 2010, 13:28

Irish staff?? is there such thing?
Staffies are just not dog dogs they are people dogs! Obviously if pups are socialised well from an early age have lots of interaction with dogs/cats/people and as many different situations as poss then its much more likey they will accept/like other dogs etc. But as yours obviously hasnt had that then im affraid it might be an uphill struggle for you....thats not to say give up but you may find your staff will just never like other dogs. I have a similar situation with my 1 year old boy Ty. We rescued him at 6 months, although he had not been abused (as far as we no), he had never been outside at all (not even in the garden) so had no idea of the real world! He has adapted fantastically in these past 6 months and has also learnt all his commands etc etc but it VERY bad mannered with other dogs. He isnt agressive at all but just had no clue how to greet/play with dogs. I keep persisting but cannot let him off lead when other dogs are around....maybe one day lol......but i wont hold my breath!
x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 08 2010, 19:07

I have had the same problem with my male. I bought a head halti, while on walks if we come across another dog and he acts aggressive i turn him towards me using the head halti, pull up on the halti forcing him into a sitting position which is submissive body language for dogs (looking *up* at you) and keep eye contact (all the while im staying calm and assertive)
slowly it worked i still have problems with some dogs but not all, now when he see's a another dog he'll sit facing me and look at me and if i can see the other becoming aggressive i stand between them calmly and keep the other dog out of our personal bubble.
So my dog knows i won't let anything happen to him he can trust me he doesn't have to fight or warn because i will do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down