Bloat

4 posters

Go down

Bloat Empty Bloat

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:31

Just thought this would be a good video to watch! It's a horrible thing to have happen and noticing the first signs is critical. Staffys being deep chested can be very prone to this, so know what to look for! Also tips to prevent it:

• Feed your dog two to three smaller meals a day, instead of one large meal.

Feed a diet that is mostly meat (high protein) and high in fiber with minimal amounts of grain and carbohydrates. Some vets recommend completely eliminating grain and carbs if your dog has ever experienced bloat before.

Try to get your dog to eat slower if she is gulping down her food, which may entail picking up her bowl a few times while she's eating. Dogs that eat fast tend to swallow a lot of air, which can lead to bloat.

Do not allow your dog to drink a large amount of water after a meal. Ingesting a lot of water can cause gas and will also cause dry food to expand in the stomach.

Keep your dog from vigorous activity, especially rolling over, for at least two hours after a meal. Heavy activity increases the risk of stomach twist. A leisurely walk is better and can also aid digestion.

https://www.youtube.com/v/U1WrT2719yo

Back to top Go down

Bloat Empty Re: Bloat

Post by Kathy Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:41

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting to see how it developes and affects the dog. I have to get my head around this kind of thing, hope to start training to be a veterinary nurse in the new year.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:41

Good video. It's a frightening thing to go through. I was lucky because I'd read about the signs of bloat & when Dempsey went down with it I knew what I was looking at. He still had to have an operation, though, and it could have been so much worse.

It really is worth getting to know the signs, as emergency veterinary treatment is almost always necessary & the sooner treatment can start, the more effective it will be.

The only thing I disagree with (although I didn;'t have the sound on so I don't know if it was mentioned) is at the end it says that bloat is 95% fatal. With quick treatment, most cases can be saved. It's only 95% fatal for untreated dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:57

I think thats what it means, the video is based on a severe case which if they had left it any longer would have been fatal. I know about bloat from working in kennels, my manager put the fear of it in my head cause any time a dog had a big belly (just after eating usually doh ) she would be like staring at them seeing if they had bloat. She was a vet nurse, but clearly that ddin't work out. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 08:38

wow thank you hayley very good post and informative

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 10:23

It's funny, although I've known about bloat for years I never really gave it much thought. But since Dempsey got it I watch him like a hawk, especially after he's eaten.

Once bitten, twice shy!

Back to top Go down

Post by brophski Sat Feb 11 2012, 14:31

I'm glad you put this on here.

I've never heard of bloat, or what it could do. I will be taking notice if I see any of the signs one I get my little staff, but most importantly leave 2 hours after eating to do exercise.

James.
brophski
brophski
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 15:49

It's a lot easier if you exercise your dog & then feed afterwards (about an hour afterwards at least). That way your dog can relax for some time after.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 11 2012, 16:00

We feed Rocky after his walk, we leave it about an hour and a half after then his has a feed. Would hate for this to happen to him.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11 2012, 19:19

I know, I'm paranoid about it. Dempsey was lucky - I recognised the symptoms & the vet was very quick to act. But he still needed a stomach operation & his stomach's never really been the same since. He lost a lot of muscle tone & now has a pot belly, even though you can see the last 2 ribs so he isn't fat.

The problem is made worse by the fact that any stomach operation is thought of as 'dirty' surgery - they have to be so careful that none of the stomach's contents contaminate the bloodstream, causing peritonitis.

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Mon Feb 13 2012, 12:14

Thanks for posting this information Hayley, I'd not heard of this before.
It's a bit scary!
We often go for a walk after Dora has eaten her breakfast. I guess it is normally an hour or so after so maybe not too bad. But I shall definitely keep it in mind in future.
I'd read in a book somewhere not to feed before or straight after exercise, but the book didn't say why. I guess this explains why not to feed before. Doesn't explain why not to feed straight after exercise though...
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bloat Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 12:16

alexiastra wrote: Doesn't explain why not to feed straight after exercise though...

Exactly the same reason. The body hasn't calmed down enough to cope with food until the heart rate has been normal for at least 45 minutes, and preferably an hour. It doesn't necessarily mean that your dog will get bloat, but it increases the chances.

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Mon Feb 13 2012, 12:25

Ah I see, thanks Caryll star
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bloat Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by i_am_the_scruff Fri Mar 02 2012, 22:32

Since learning about this at college I have been so paranoid about it! If I notice anyway slightly out of the ordinary I keep a very close eye on Chelsea.
i_am_the_scruff
i_am_the_scruff
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chelsea
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down