"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
(please delete) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: (please delete)

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 00:03

we rescued Lottie about amonth ago now. She was neglected and then abandoned very scared and skinny. She was picked up by the pound and because no one claimed her in 7 days she was going to put to sleep. she was taken by a rescue centre and put into their kennels to save her. from there she was moved to foster care where they already had a mastiff who took a dislike to her and bit her face (she has a couple of scars) she was taken away from there and put back in the kennels untill another foster home could be found and she was there for about 5 months. the foster carer really loved her but she knew she had to let her go so she could take in another needy soul.

we took lottie to a behaviourist who said she was living on fear and adrenalin and told us how to help her over come these fears and turn her behaviour around so that she will eventualy live a normal happy sociable life. with love and perceverence we will get here but it will be a long road and any one rescueing will have to understand and accept that you must be 100% committed to the dog. it is not to be taken lightly becaue these dogs need help and its up to you to help them and spend the time on them. you must let their passed go and stay in the past and build a new future for the dog where it will be happy loved and content.

a month into her training and things Lottie wagged her tail at another dog to day and wanted to play and she wagged ger tail at another person. she has never done this before so you can imagine how pleased we were with her. the rewards you get when you see the dog you are helping start to come out of their shell and be happy makes it all worth while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Sun Nov 20 2011, 00:06

Woah, what a story :3 and seriously, I admire you for this, I'm loving this idea. And hopefully, I will be able to give another Staffie a good life!
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
(please delete) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 00:20

Skullkandi wrote: Weight-pull, Showing & LOVE are what he does best and that is how it is going to stay =3
Skull

You can't show him, he's been neutered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Nov 20 2011, 05:10

That is great news! Is the showing part fun shows or obedience or something else?
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Sun Nov 20 2011, 12:46

Just fun shows :3 Little competitions that happen around my area. Anyway, this isn't about Ju-bear x3 But about the stories that other have and advice =3
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
(please delete) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 20 2011, 19:22

We adopted Rocky from WoodGreen Animal Shelter about a year ago. He was said to be 12 months old then but we thought he was a little younger (maybe 9 months). Rocky is a Staffy Border Collie Cross.

We have a large park very close to where we live (we only have a small courtyard garden) this is where Rocky has made some very good friends. These include a Dobermann, 2 Springer Spaniels, several Beagles and a Labradoodle.

We do hope that we can soon get a transfer with our housing association and will then definately have a larger garden (until then we keep doing the lottery when a house will be attached to an extremely large garden). We will then also consider returning to WoodGreen with another adoption in mind of a Staffy/ Staffy x.

He had some basic training before he chose to come and live with us. My husband and I are both currently unable to work and have therefore been able to spend the last year with him, giving him the time he needed, and it has been extemely well worthwhile.

Any time spent with him can be turned into a training session including mealtime, on a walk, having some fuss or just giving a treat. Rocky is now a fairly well mannered Gent (always room for improvement) who is a very healthy, well balanced lad.

Sometimes it has been at wits end but most of the time just rolling on the floor with the things Rocky gets up to. He has a habit of finding things before they are lost e.g hubbys socks or any underwear for that matter.

If you are willing to put the time in you will reap the rewards. They are worth waiting for. Have fun. Big Grin
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by crippingale Tue Nov 22 2011, 17:22

I adopted a staff and have had her for a year now. She was about 7 months old at the time. She is cross with a German Shep. She was so unresponsive to start with and clearly was used to doing her own thing. I believe she was a stray and then had two owners who gave up on her. So our journey started with her running riot round the house, chewing everything from money to clothes to bedding. I could not let her off as she would be off like a shot. So with a lot of patience and consistent messages we are getting there. I enlisted a dog behaviourist who helped me and her advice was an hours lead walk will let the dog know that you are the pack leader. I totally believe that this was my saviour. Eden now two in January is a great dog she has her problems but is so much better than the start. She does still go AWOL she would never come back but now she does eventually and I do not get angry at her. To her its all about doing things interesting and she will quite happily play with a ball and then a squirrel becomes much more fun so I do have to keep her very amused. I love her to bits. I would have another if I could but I think she is quite a handful.
Go for it!!
crippingale
crippingale
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Eden
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down