Pup and Cat

3 posters

Go down

Pup and Cat Empty Pup and Cat

Post by KerryAnn Fri Oct 21 2011, 04:59

Our cat was brought up with a Staffie. But our Staff was relatively elderly and there was never too many problems between them

Now, we have a pup. Paddy. Who Oscar (our cat) pretty much trusts due to being brought up with another dog

However, our pup is a pain in the bottom and chases the cat at any given moment. We shout "NO!" and try and catch him but any other tips? Paddy sometimes goes for Oscar and it's scaring me Sad Especially as Pads will get stronger
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Pup and Cat Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paddy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Pup and Cat Empty Re: Pup and Cat

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21 2011, 05:08

I've only had a large breed with a cat once and we had the cat first as well. Our dog of course chased the cat all over the house. She caught him a number of times but never bit him so we just let them play.

Not sure what to advise but there are a few members on here that have both so maybe they have some advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Fri Oct 21 2011, 05:32

Thankyou Smile
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Pup and Cat Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21 2011, 08:30

sorry i have not got a cat, but catsina has, hopefully she will be able to help

just read she is away for the weekend

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21 2011, 09:46

With my dogs it took a couple of scratches from the cats to realise that catching them wasnt a great idea. I've got 2 cats and I did used to worry abotu them when Millie chased them, would shout no, run after her and she didnt listen, eventually the cats got fed up with it and scratched her. She does respond now when I shout no at her but it took a little while and a couple of scratches on the nose. With Bella only being 9 weeks old she is still learning. She isnt great with a stern no and she has already had one pretty nasty scratch on her ear. She still chases them but with the older cat she stops near her, barks and jumps towards her, but not too near. I went from worrying about the cats getting hurt to worrying about the dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Fri Oct 21 2011, 12:18

I have ten cats. When the dogs were pups i told them off anytime they thought about chasing the cats.My cats grew up with dogs so they were quick to stab any pup that tried it on. You need to make sure the pup really understands that you mean it!! Also i used "leave it" and once they understood to leave food or toys or cats they got the message. People often say you should keep the cat in the dog crate or in it's carrier for lessons , this stops the cats running away from the annoying mutt and so doesn't trigger a chase?. They probably will settle as they get used to each other, mine have always ended up being pals.
stiofan
stiofan
Pup and Cat Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlene_Frank Fri Oct 21 2011, 13:29

I have a cat FeeFee who we have had for around 13 years now, and boy is she set in her ways!! When Frank first come home she didn’t really speak to us for about a week but we just kept given her treats and buy new things with her so she didn’t feel left out.
As Frank started getting bigger he started getting braver and braver and getting closer and closer to her and she would warn him away … however one day they were in the bedroom and she swiped for him caught him on the nose (no damage done) but boy did he learn his lesson! He barely even lifts his head when he sees her now. He knows that she’s top “dog” in the house ha!!

x
Charlene_Frank
Charlene_Frank
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Frank and Tara
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Months and 21 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Sat Oct 22 2011, 04:50

Oh it's a relief to read it might get better. Both are very highly strung! I think one problem is Oscar is a house cat, so it's a battle for territory right now :/

Oscar gives as good as he gets. I'm just terrified that Paddy, once grown, will do him serious harm Sad
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Pup and Cat Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22 2011, 06:12

Vlad chases Dita (our cat) all the time! She is starting to get better and come out and hiss at him. He doesn't attack, he is trying to play. We think when he chased her under the bed, she may have swiped him, because he started crying. She is very timid and scared due to being a rescue cat and we believe was mistreated. She hides from most people. She is very loving and loves nothing more than a cuddle and a good fuss... she is more like a dog than a cat! Vlad is just a naughty puppy Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum