Metal

3 posters

Go down

Metal Empty Metal

Post by KerryAnn Fri Oct 07 2011, 04:45

My pup (10/11 weeks) is teething. Well I presume so. He's going mad for metal. The fan foot gets chewed. The PC desk legs get chewed. None of his toys at all are calming it Sad

The main problem I have is he's also having crafty chews at the wires. We've boxed them in, we've watched him 24/7 and told him off.... ugh, alsorts. He's a mischeif.

I'm mainly just blowing off steam but any help also appreciated!
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Metal Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paddy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Metal Empty Re: Metal

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07 2011, 05:41

There are numerous products out there such as Bitter Apple to help with this. You simply apply the product to the things you don't want chewed.

Frozed sweet potatos or other vegetables placed inside a frozen Kong should also help to lessen the pain of teething.

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Fri Oct 07 2011, 05:48

jstaff wrote:There are numerous products out there such as Bitter Apple to help with this. You simply apply the product to the things you don't want chewed.

Frozed sweet potatos or other vegetables placed inside a frozen Kong should also help to lessen the pain of teething.

We're picking up a Kong. I hope he takes to it. Our last Staffie just wasn't interested!
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Metal Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07 2011, 05:50

If you put food inside of it he should get interested pretty quickly. Good luck with the teething it can try your patience. Also hide anything you are really attached to because they get into everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Fri Oct 07 2011, 05:56

jstaff wrote:If you put food inside of it he should get interested pretty quickly. Good luck with the teething it can try your patience. Also hide anything you are really attached to because they get into everything.

Yeah, quick lesson. Headset got eaten within a week I think! He goes for wires (which is what petrifies us as many will be live downstairs Sad )

KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Metal Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07 2011, 05:58

The Green Apple or similar product works great. It tastes terrible for them and once they have had a taste they most often won't chew something that has the scent on it. A quick Google search should provide a similar product and help out some.

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Fri Oct 07 2011, 06:03

jstaff wrote:The Green Apple or similar product works great. It tastes terrible for them and once they have had a taste they most often won't chew something that has the scent on it. A quick Google search should provide a similar product and help out some.

Brilliant

Might smother the cat in it. Get some peace Laughing
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Metal Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07 2011, 06:07

That's just the prey instinct and I don't have any advice on overcoming that one, would be nice though. You will have to reapply the product every few days because it is liquid based and will evaporate.

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Fri Oct 07 2011, 06:14

The cats doing fine. They're like naughty siblings hehe Smile
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Metal Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07 2011, 06:38

Vlad loves his Kong! He chews EVERYTHING! His kennel outside has even been chewed all around the little doorway! We also bought this awesome tyre. It's just like a real tyre, only small, so they can get their mouths around it! He has loads of balls and his fave toy is, believe it or not, empty soft drink bottles! LOVES them! He brings in all the bark chips from the garden edge, eats the pebbles and some of the bricks, chews on the metal verandah pole and the sling door that he ate a hole through and then pulled down altogether was his best effort... that was at 9 or 10 weeks! We just encourage (hehehehehe) him to chew appropriate things... easier said than done, I know! Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07 2011, 08:36

if Paddy likes the bitter apple - woody did - try vicks vapour rrub which will be easy to apply to most objects (apart from the cat!) it was the only thing that sttopped woody in his tracks

Back to top Go down

Post by lhause07 Fri Oct 07 2011, 12:27

To be honest, I've had my baby Rae for 5 months and I've never had an issue with chewing. The reason is because we give her athletics every day (or at least 5 days a weeks). When my boyfriend noticed a while back that she may be starting her teething phase, he began to take her out every morning and evening and we would throw the stick and teach her fetch, or take her on long walks/short jogs, or take her to the dog park. When they have exercise, there is less pent up energy to be put towards destroying the house. This also improved her mood and ours, as she is very calm and lovey with us. She has also gained beautiful muscle definition and sharp wit. I am surprised no one has mentioned exercise as a solution before. I never had to buy those bitter sprays! Big Grin
lhause07
lhause07
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rae
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Fri Oct 07 2011, 13:36

Lots of nice raw meaty bones was what got me through most of Gummi's main chewing phase (he still likes to chew of course, but not as bad). With Bajas I used (stick) deodorant on the wires - it was the only thing that kept him from chewing them. LOL! Not sure why I tried that, but he drove me pretty much insane so that might have been why!
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07 2011, 16:01

frozen stuff are good they cool the gums and ease them a bit. icepops icecubes

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Sat Oct 08 2011, 05:33

Can't wait to take him out but he's not had his second jab yet (next week). Needless to say, he'll be getting plenty of exercise though

Got him some more toys today. A solid rubber ball (won't last) and a bone thing. We put the bone in the freezer but he just licked it then ran off. The ball got barked at LOL!! But eventually he had a good old chew. Smile
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Metal Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 08 2011, 11:25

A good game of tug will usually help to tire them out, espically if they can't go outside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 08 2011, 11:30

nicolalouises wrote:if Paddy likes the bitter apple - woody did - try vicks vapour rrub which will be easy to apply to most objects (apart from the cat!) it was the only thing that sttopped woody in his tracks

Vicks often works, although it'll stink your house out! Laughing

lhause07 wrote:To be honest, I've had my baby Rae for 5 months and I've never had an issue with chewing. The reason is because we give her athletics every day (or at least 5 days a weeks). When my boyfriend noticed a while back that she may be starting her teething phase, he began to take her out every morning and evening and we would throw the stick and teach her fetch, or take her on long walks/short jogs, or take her to the dog park. When they have exercise, there is less pent up energy to be put towards destroying the house. This also improved her mood and ours, as she is very calm and lovey with us. She has also gained beautiful muscle definition and sharp wit. I am surprised no one has mentioned exercise as a solution before. I never had to buy those bitter sprays! Big Grin

Take care. Too much high impact exercise with a young pup can damage its growth plates/tendons. The rough rule is 5 minutes for every month of age. Also, this pup isn't yet allowed out, so exercise is not an option.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down