Your views on the dog whisperer (ceaser millan)

+4
Ben
janey
Kathy
Tom0909
8 posters

Go down

Your views on the dog whisperer (ceaser millan) Empty Your views on the dog whisperer (ceaser millan)

Post by Tom0909 Wed Sep 28 2011, 17:14

Just thought id ask what people think of his techniques and his training style ?

I think a lot of his stuff is quite good advice but there is certain things like kicking them in the back wen they misbehave I think is sooo wrong. I prefer reward based training and I think it is very effective, and as staffs are so happy to please their owners they are a joy to train

On another note in the paper yesterday I read about the one shows dog trainer who put his feet in the dogs mouth to show who's boss WTF was that about I missed the show ?
Tom0909
Tom0909
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Trixie
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Your views on the dog whisperer (ceaser millan) Empty Re: Your views on the dog whisperer (ceaser millan)

Post by Kathy Wed Sep 28 2011, 18:30

No, I do not like his methods of training. Would not like him to be within one hundred miles of our dog.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Your views on the dog whisperer (ceaser millan) Empty Re: Your views on the dog whisperer (ceaser millan)

Post by janey Wed Sep 28 2011, 18:33

Haven't watched him but I get a general feeling that he isn't that well admired!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 18:34

Not a fan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom0909 Wed Sep 28 2011, 19:01

The only things he says that I agree with are about the handler being calm and assertive and how being confident and understanding can help build a better realationship with your pet other than that he's an abbusive trainer who installs fear to get the results he wants. Just thought I'd start a little debate up and get some different opinions
Tom0909
Tom0909

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Trixie
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Sep 28 2011, 19:27

I don't have it in me to even begin to like his strategy. There is a trainer I really like with lots of free videos at www.leerburg.com. I don't agree with everything, but overall I think a good method.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 20:22

ceaser doesnt kick the dog as much as touches. a lot of people dont like him but i have nothing against him. he knows what hge is talking about with animals and trains the humans to know their own dogs and how to handle them in the most humane way possible by persuation not attacking them. he touches never attacks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 20:52

I'm not a fan either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 22:55

Oh dear, I probably shouldn't get started on this, but....

_julie_ wrote:ceaser doesnt kick the dog as much as touches. a lot of people dont like him but i have nothing against him. he knows what hge is talking about with animals and trains the humans to know their own dogs and how to handle them in the most humane way possible by persuation not attacking them. he touches never attacks.

I'm afraid he does kick. And strangle. And 'pin down'. And lift in the air by the neck skin. And use shock & prong/pinch collars. Have a look at this video, and especially read the bit at the end - it makes much more sense than Cesar Milan's 'training'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCGtatpCwI&feature=player_embedded#at=110

I personally think that, although he does sometimes appear to have a 'way' with certain dogs, his training methods are almost antiquated and could well be dangerous. If you train a dog by fear/violence, you run the risk of that dog overcoming its fear at some point & retaliating viciously, with terrible consequences. I also think that he is dishonest, as on tv he rarely admits to using shock collars for example, or other questionable methods.

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEJORELL Wed Sep 28 2011, 23:04

I enjoy his shows. I find most of the time he is training the owners and not the dogs. He seems to have a massive ego, but on the whole has done a lot for dogs.
BLAKEJORELL
BLAKEJORELL
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : DUDE
Dog Gender(s) : MALE
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 23:10

...........and even more for his own pocket!

I just think his methods are so outdated & WRONG! Reward-based training may take a little longer, especially with an older dog, but the results are far more long lasting & reliable. And let's face it, he's teaching the owners that it's ok to kick or strangle their dogs to gain 'control'.

Fear & violence.

Not a good way to train a dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 23:18

this debate could go on forever. like i say have nothing against the guy but its each to their own. i prefer to give treats for training. some treat some click some dominate.

i personaly think the dog is a part of the household and the family so i dont really treat any dog lower than my kids.

they all know i am the alpha female there is no alpha male LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 23:33

_julie_ wrote:they all know i am the alpha female there is no alpha male LOL

You see this is my point - the whole 'alpha' or 'pack leader' thing has been discredited. Even wolves don't always act that way! Dogs don't look at humans as part of their 'pack'. A good book which explains how these theories came about & why they are so wrong is "In defense of Dogs" by John Bradshaw - a thought provoking read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 23:50

caryll that alpha female remark was a joke.........see i told ya this ceaser millan thing gets everyone going. its not just ceaser there are a lot of trainers that people disagree with but we all have to keep it in context and choose what is right for you and your dog and not worry about what others may be doing. everyone has their opinion on every subject matter known to man and rightly so we are entitled to that opinion some like some dont

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29 2011, 00:02

_julie_ wrote: everyone has their opinion on every subject matter known to man and rightly so we are entitled to that opinion some like some dont

Absolutely, and I'm just voicing mine!

I just don't like to see animals kicked or strangled to make them do our bidding. There are better ways.

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Thu Sep 29 2011, 11:12

This is the problem with dog training, everybody has different veiws some greatly vary others are very simular with slight differences.

The other problem of course is what works for one dog and owner wont work for another dog and owner.

Though any abusive behaviour towards dogs I personally disagree with, though I suppose my level of abuse differs to others aswell.

From all I have seen on his TV programs I think he is brilliant, unfortunatly though I have heard some horror stories about him aswell.

Thing you also need to remember is he often works with very troubled, aggressive dogs with serious behaviour issues. Although posative training work great with pups from a young age trying to teach a dog who has attacked and will attack humans is not always the right answer.

He has rehabilitated many dogs most trainers in the world would not even go near let alone be able to rehab them.
johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Sep 29 2011, 11:13

Im half and half about him I think the tv puts him up there as a saviour and for that he has a duty to give them what they want a quick fix.
As for the physicological aspect of knowing a dog then I think hes a natural and very unique. If he doesnt need to put on a show then I think he will do his best to adjust both the dog and owner .
I think he works wonders with potentially dangerous dogs that not many can. Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29 2011, 11:38

I just think of the South Park episode whenever I see him Laughing Oprah Winfrey has a lot to answer for, Ceaser Mllan, Dr Phil, Rachel Ray etc LOL. I have learned a couple of things from him i.e.: I take Vlad for a walk not him take me and being confident and in control. I tend not to take any television shows too seriously. It's a lot like a lot of the websites and information on staffys and dogs that I have found... if I listened to it all and took it all as gospel I would be even more of a neurotic mess than I am now Tongues He's in it for the buckaroos.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Sep 29 2011, 13:18

Just a random thought, just finished reading a book and thought I would recommend it to others. Sean Ellis (the wolfman) has an autobiography. 'The man who live with wolves'. It was a good read and gave a great insight into pack theory and hierarchy Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29 2011, 18:27

Tyson and I have gained a great deal from Cesar's views on excercise, boundries and the affection. I learned that the aggression in my previous Staffie was mainly caused by my tension etc. I now practice being calm and assertive and follow the rules when walking. I have read Cesar's books and watched many episodes of his series and can agree about the ego thing and sometimes rough manhandling. I think one should gain knowledge from many sources and use what works for you.

Ty is growing into a lovely creature and I use several methods including praise and treats (although the little bugger is bright enough to 'act' dumb in anticipation of another treat) in conjunction with trying to see things from the dog's perspective (for example dogs living in the moments and not being as emotional as we tend to think). Ty gets many compliments on his behaviour when walking, at training and when running free and playing with all the other dogs at the dog park. He is not at all dog agressive and very gentle with smaller dogs.

He has never been kicked, slapped or manhandled in anyway and I will continue to work really hard to keep both of us 'balanced' and totally devoted to each other Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down