i love leah and lois
milliemoosmum
johneva
Nosipho
debbiewaterhouse
flounder
11 posters

Go down

Are all staffies a bit dim? Empty Are all staffies a bit dim?

Post by flounder Wed Sep 28 2011, 13:51

Hi all,
are all staffies a bit dim or is just me that picked a thick one?
I know Summer isnt the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but she really is a stupid! Because the weather is so fab here at the moment Summer has been loving being outside with the back door wide open and coming and going as she pleases, she was out for a good 10 minutes and was a little quiet for my liking, so went out to investigate and there she was flat on her back chewing the gas bbq pipe!!!! Surprised I nearly bloody died!!! Ran straight over to her with everything crossed that it has been turned off at the gas bottle after being used at the weekend, and thankfully it had! There I was in the garden telling her she was stupid and she just upped and walked past me looking at me as if to say 'Dont know what all the fuss is about and that pipe tastes bloody lovely'
That dog is gonna give me a heartattack very soon lol
flounder
flounder
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Summer
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Are all staffies a bit dim? Empty Re: Are all staffies a bit dim?

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 13:53

They are a bit of a handfull. We make sure to puppy proff everything and Suki still manages to give us a scare.

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Wed Sep 28 2011, 14:25

Lol I can't have plants in my garden cos Hollie chews them all, I have to have hanging baskets and wall baskets instead, she even chews the rubber doormat !!!
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Sep 28 2011, 14:29

Oh dear, I hate those heart-in-your-mouth moments!
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Wed Sep 28 2011, 14:57

Erm no both ours our very cleaver and learn things very quickly, but you gotta expect them to chew things you have not taught them not to.

An to be honest if that age is correct an she is still 7 weeks old I would not let her out my sight unless in a secure safe place where there is nothing she can chew that could kill or harm her.

Noway I would leave a gas bottle and pipe where I know any age dog would be left unattended, let alone such a young pup who wants to chew everything in sight unless taught its not allowed.

When outside even what seems silly things like eating plants can be deadly as there are quite a few that are highly toxic.

johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 15:01

To be honest all puppies of 7 weeks, whatever breed, would chew anything they can get their teeth in to!

Back to top Go down

Post by flounder Wed Sep 28 2011, 16:36

Have updated my profile with Summers dob and she is 13 weeks now. I would never intentionally leave Summer where she could harm herself and it was a genuine mistake that the bbq had been left out and not been locked away in the shed where it normally is, there is nothing else in the garden that she could hurt herself on, even my pot plants are on a 3ft high wall so she cannot get them at present, but am sure that in time these plants will have to be rehomed.
I know that puppies chew anything and everything, hence the house being puppy proof. I am sorry that it seemed that I wasnt watching her properly, but it was a genuine mistake and i have learnt a very serious lesson.
flounder
flounder

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 16:53

with puppies we need to have eyes in the back of our heads!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by milliemoosmum Wed Sep 28 2011, 16:59

puppies are very trying millie been very good but my other dog was a nightmare , wall paper, lino a bra lol not to mention time i lost her in garden and she was asleep under a plant!

milliemoosmum
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : millie
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 17:19

it happens to all of us unintentionallyim sure. i fell asleep one night when woody was really young and he had chewed through live wires in the living room, luckily he wasnt eletrocuted but they will seek and chew!

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Wed Sep 28 2011, 18:36

Milly is the same we have to make sure we unplug everything before we leave her shes a bugger for wires.Today i walked in to the dining room and she had a bra of hedge of radiator round her head.she is so mischeivous at the moment its like having a toddler again
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Sep 28 2011, 18:52

What a shock for you and yes, just remember to clear things away, as they get older, and more determined they can/will get into anything!

Moo is pretty smart, but still a little bit of a muppet at times! She was trying to get under the bench today to give me her stick, but it didn't fit through, so instead of walking round she just kept trying and trying to get it through the gap. Made me giggle a bit, proper doughnut at times Smile

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 20:34

well it seems to me that i have one angel of a puppy then. lemmy chewed the walls and skirting boards and banister but that was while he was teething. he hasnt chewed anything since he got his BIG teeth. doesnt bother my plants any more doesnt dig my garden he just goes out and relaxes either on the bench or the table and rolls on the grass if he wants to play he comes and gets someone to play with him. he is taken for lots of walks and the only issue we have is him pulling on the lead but we have just got an anti pull harness for that. we can leave anything and he will not chew it. we have never had a cage for him he sleeps in the living room on the couch with his fury blanket (not on my knee any more thank god) or he goes to his bed in the kitchen. if he does do anything wrong a strong no with a point of the finger and he gets the message. he still tries the boundaries of discapline but not to the extent of wecking my house and garden any more. he is still a bit of a muppet but thats usualy through play or sheer giddiness. like the other dya he was too busy looking to see i was chasing him that he ran into the wall. dogs get better as they go on but the training is a full time forever job and we will all have the odd mishap on the way but we all learn not just the dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 21:05

the one thing i just thought of after reading my back my comment is that i dont have an angel i jut have a dog that is never left alone. thereis always someone there to occupy him when he's awake. i wonder if i will be saying thesame when ig o back to work.

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Sat Oct 01 2011, 20:18

Unfortunately, Violet is as thick as mince. When we hear her dad coming home, I open the door and let her run downstairs to see him. Last week (because we are so mature and sensible) he stood in the hall with his coat on his head like a hatstand. Violet ran by him 3 times without even looking at him, and it wasn't until he called her name that she even thought about looking at him, before running by another few times, still not clicking that it was him Sad
linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 08:46

flounder wrote:Have updated my profile with Summers dob and she is 13 weeks now. I would never intentionally leave Summer where she could harm herself and it was a genuine mistake that the bbq had been left out and not been locked away in the shed where it normally is, there is nothing else in the garden that she could hurt herself on, even my pot plants are on a 3ft high wall so she cannot get them at present, but am sure that in time these plants will have to be rehomed.
I know that puppies chew anything and everything, hence the house being puppy proof. I am sorry that it seemed that I wasnt watching her properly, but it was a genuine mistake and i have learnt a very serious lesson.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the headmaster / headmistress responses some people love to reply with to what is essentially a humorous post with a little bit of lesson learning . Tilly is 15months old now and if left to her own devices in the garden she will chew anything she thinks looks interesting , when I pull out the hosepipe there are so many holes in it I don't need a sprinkler. She is absolutely no problem in the house whatsoever but sees the garden as her play area. Maybe you could try armour plating everything in the garden and teaching her she is not allowed to play Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 08:47

linzy wrote:Unfortunately, Violet is as thick as mince. When we hear her dad coming home, I open the door and let her run downstairs to see him. Last week (because we are so mature and sensible) he stood in the hall with his coat on his head like a hatstand. Violet ran by him 3 times without even looking at him, and it wasn't until he called her name that she even thought about looking at him, before running by another few times, still not clicking that it was him Sad

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Sun Oct 02 2011, 11:02

vanessa wrote:

with puppies we need to have eyes in the back of our heads!! Laughing

Indeed we do!

Just like babies, as soon as they start crawling your life is doomed Laughing They get into EVERYTHING. DVD players, TV remotes, buttons on the TV, tiny fiers in tiny hles you didn;t even know existed. We baby proof our homes but there are always hazards about that we fail to see, it doesn't mean we don't care or have been careless, it just means we didn't expect it or didn't see it.

I'm currently trying to puppy proof my garden and I KNOW there will be something that i missed, i just have to keep my eye open for them.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 11:13

LOL, this post made me giggle, because we have asked this too! Vlad will go skidding around the house just running like a nut job (this is usually at night and we refer to it as idiot hour) and he will run into a wall or a bit of furniture! Lucky he has a big head. He doesn't even notice... just keeps running. He chews everything. We had our gas BBQ out the other day and he tried the same thing... We bought a new esky and he has chewed one of the handles. I used to have throw rugs, but they only come out when he's outside and people come over Tongues Don't worry. We've heard it's normal, it's just a case of always knowing where they are and what they're up to... not easy I know. We have a baby gate that blocks off the rest of the house that has carpet, so at least we don't have to worry about cleaning up wee and poo and other assorted puppy mess, we can keep it contained to the tiled areas where it is easy to clean. He has chewed through, then proceeded to pull down completely a sliding flyscreen door (this at 9.5 weeks) and chew to pieces his outside bed (we found it thrown all over the back yard... foam, material, the lot Tongues ) You're definitely not alone Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 12:13

flounder wrote: I am sorry that it seemed that I wasnt watching her properly, but it was a genuine mistake and i have learnt a very serious lesson.

I'm sure nobody's criticizing you for not looking after her properly! I'm certainly not - you need eyes in the back of your head with pups!

Staffs as a rule are very bright, but they'll chew on anything their jaws will go round. Laughing Bandit chewd up my oh's collection of scale model planes (VERY expensive ones) in about 3 weeks! He was THAT close to being sold! rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Dempsey, on the other hand, is THICK, THICK, THICK!! rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 12:16

when Winston goes berserk tearing around the house or lawn like a maniac we call it his mad minute!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by flounder Sun Oct 02 2011, 14:51

Thank you all, feel a bit better now, sometimes Summer is as bright as a button but other times I just look at her and think 'Is she serious' she can be such a muppet at times. I was warned that they are the worst chewers out there, but my god, she has opened my eyes god love her, and yes I do know it'll get worse before it gets better, the poor cats will be bald before she is a year old, she has permanently got fur in her mouth, these cats and me have got to run a bit quicker! She is a gem, am just hoping that my back door (council double glazed) survives, interior doors are cheap, but the back one will bancrupt me! lol
Summer has started the mad hour, she chases my 11 year old in and out of the house then he chases her, it seems that she likes taking it in turns lol
Thanks again all
Love Summer and the equally not so bright mommy lol
flounder
flounder

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Stace.and.Billy Sun Oct 02 2011, 15:44

our taz used to go out in the sun and the nutter wouldnt come back in so he would have to be carried back in when he was too hot lolz
Stace.and.Billy
Stace.and.Billy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Taz(R.I.P), Stanley, Colt
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 15:54

flounder wrote: I was warned that they are the worst chewers out there, but my god, she has opened my eyes god love her,

Just think yourself lucky she isn't like Dempsey - he will swallow anything that is small enough to get past his front teeth! If it isn't small enough, he'll chew it till it is! Surprised

And thick? I know I've said this before, but Dempsey is 2 & a half years old, we've had him since he was just over 7 weeks old, and he still doesn't know that our garden gate opens inwards! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 16:31

hahah Caryll.. I can just imagine Dempsey waiting at the gate..

Not bragging but Winston is a smarty pants. If we are out the back and he wants to come back into the backyard he runs to the gate and if it is closed he turns around and runs flat out through the shed, as the shed door is always open to the back yard. Show off!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Oct 02 2011, 17:12

These are all the reasons why we love our dogs so much Love Struck
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by flounder Sun Oct 02 2011, 18:12

Blimey it looks like they are all completely potty, but we wouldnt want them any other way I bet! Although they worry the life out of us, they give us so much pleasure and love and a giggle or two along the way Laughing
flounder
flounder

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 10:34

No matter how much we think we have puppy proofed the place, they like to point out things we have missed Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Oct 03 2011, 10:35

Millie&Bella wrote:No matter how much we think we have puppy proofed the place, they like to point out things we have missed Laughing

Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 11:17

That is sooooooo true!!!! We have a baby gate and a play pen and all the things to protect Vlad and protect all of our bits and pieces and the little bugger still finds things to chew (the dining room chairs,the window sill, the blinds {they're floor to ceiling so we can't do anything about it} and he tries the lounge chairs, but gets told pretty quick "NO!" ) He chews on anything that he can get... so he has loads of toys and suitable things to chew on in the back yard and he still chews our trees (which are animal friendly), the outdoor furniture, his kennel etc. Don't stress, they seem to find anything! I am neurotic, and I stress and panic over most things... but I am learning that as long as he's safe and happy, there is only so much puppy proofing I can do and, unfortunately, I do not have eyes everywhere to see what he is up to! Your pup and my Vlad are the same age, so probably equally as mischievous Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 12 2011, 23:23

i leave my boys inside when i go out.. lets face it who wants to rob me? ha HA AHAHAHAHA.. lol dun it loads of times .. never done anything wrong... one day i came home BAM rubbish bag pushed over rubbish every where... never done it before nor since... once i came home and pickle had chewed the corner off a hardcover book... WHAT? HUH? never done it since... my place is pretty staffy proof but they will surprise you. We all in bed one night Sarge is listning to his mp4 player,.... zzzz zzz zzzz zzz woke up next morning and pickle had chewed the little headphone thingys off WHAT! WHY YOU! DOH!....lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13 2011, 11:45

I remember when Bandit was a pup & we had to leave him for any time we'd put up a baby gate at the kitchen door. When he was about 5 months old, we came home & he greeted us at the door - he'd jumped the gate, destroyed a pair of slippers & chewed through an airlock on my home made wine kit! I should have realised - when we first went to see him, he was in a large playpen with his siblings & mum. The sides were about 4 foot high. Nancy, the breeder, said "would you like to see the mum?". We obviously said yes, please. So she whistled & from a standing start the bitch just leaped straight over the side of the pen! Laughing

Millie&Bella wrote:No matter how much we think we have puppy proofed the place, they like to point out things we have missed Laughing

So true! Laughing

iamsarge wrote:i leave my boys inside when i go out.. lets face it who wants to rob me? ha HA AHAHAHAHA.. lol dun it loads of times .. never done anything wrong... one day i came home BAM rubbish bag pushed over rubbish every where... never done it before nor since... once i came home and pickle had chewed the corner off a hardcover book... WHAT? HUH? never done it since... my place is pretty staffy proof but they will surprise you. We all in bed one night Sarge is listning to his mp4 player,.... zzzz zzz zzzz zzz woke up next morning and pickle had chewed the little headphone thingys off WHAT! WHY YOU! DOH!....lol

Love reading your posts - makes me smile!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down