Introducing Beau to Ruby :-/

3 posters

Go down

Introducing Beau to Ruby :-/ Empty Introducing Beau to Ruby :-/

Post by Ruby&Me Wed Aug 31 2011, 16:57

Ok, so I know I don't get him till October, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on introducing Beau (who will be 8 weeks old) and Ruby ( who will be 1 year and 8 months) to each other?

It's stressing me out. That it might stress her out and stress him out at wits end so any guidance will be AWESOME!!!

Ruby is pretty placid.........until she meets another dog, she just gets so excited and she is a little too dominant for my liking (something else I need to post for) x
Xxxxxxxxxxxx
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Introducing Beau to Ruby :-/ Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down

Introducing Beau to Ruby :-/ Empty Re: Introducing Beau to Ruby :-/

Post by sarahstaff Wed Aug 31 2011, 17:57

Don't stress too much!! Introduce them on neutral ground... ie briefly in the garden. Keep her on leash and let her have a good sniff.
You will probably find it helps to calm her down a bit, she will have a pal to investigate that will help her learn acceptable behaviours.
Obviously just keep a close eye for the first few weeks
sarahstaff
sarahstaff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Franko
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 19:09

When introducing my skye to vinnie i was planning on doing it in the back garden like most people suggest, with leads on etc BUT my mom let vinnie in while skye was in the living room so was too late!!
LUCKILY vinnie was fine .. he came in and saw her and he let out a tiny growl at first and went to check her out, he then followed her all over the place trying to get her to play, but all she wanted to do was sleep! lol.
i am not going to say the first few days/weeks are easy, because i'd be lying! lol .. you are on edge because they are still adjusting to each other and are scared that if you leave them alone something may happen lol.
they older one is always rough, you can say "careful shes only little" till your blue in the face, but thats how they play! lol.

Just watch the body language, dont ignore your older one when your pup is around (im sure you wont) .. and also, when your pup is not around i.e sleeping or in crate or whatever, dont make an overly fuss of your older one, purely because she will then associate with the puppy been out the way she gets more attention and will pick up on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Sep 01 2011, 15:33

Great advice from Kelly!
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby&Me Thu Sep 01 2011, 16:07

Thank you so much, in my heart I know she will be fine with him, I'm just a frikkin worrier!!! I'm so damn excited to have him, mostly so Ruby will have someone to play with xxx your all the bestest love you all (guess who's happy?!?!?!) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Introducing Beau to Ruby :-/ Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 23:08

Nosipho wrote:Great advice from Kelly!
Thankyou =)

awww!! Smile its the best thing seeing them playing with each other!, i love watching my two play around, they're always so comical when they play haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02 2011, 01:07

If you aren't getting the new pup until October and assuing the breeder is close enough and allows it you could introduce them sooner on neutral ground. This way the first meeting isn't in either dogs home. Also if possible a walk together before going into the home is a good idea but don't know if the new pup will be up to it. The only other thing I could think if is getting a shirt or something with the new pups scent on it and bring it home so your older one can be used to the smell of the new pup in the house.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down