Too friendly with everybody we meet outside

2 posters

Go down

Too friendly with everybody we meet outside Empty Too friendly with everybody we meet outside

Post by maria0077 Wed Aug 31 2011, 10:48

Hi there,
I know it's been discussed here recently...would you have any idea how to teach Stella not to run all excited towards every human we meet when outside?
She is 13 weeks now so she is really sweet and she runs towards people, then she shows her wee belly and does her funny noises and most of the people can't resist and are happy to see her Tongues but I'd like to tackle it somehow.
It's not only that it could annoy somebody especially when she is bigger, it's quite dangerous as well, cyclists going fast in parks, even cars sometimes...
At first I was just going to parks when there was nobody around but then I thought that avoidance is not the best way hypnotised
So now I rather go to places where there are people in a certain distance so she can see them but doesn't run away that far (she has a 'critical distance' some 40 meters) and/or keep her on lead when people are closer, praising her when she stays with me,
I talk to her when we walk and play, try to keep her attention, reward her when she comes, but then everytime when there is anybody closer she just runs to greet him/her.
Sometimes she even looks back at me like Oh-I-know-you-have-some-treats-for-me-but-I-have-better-things-here-wey-hey-look-everybody-loves-me-life-is-just-perfect Laughing
I guess she will grow out of it? A year or so? Smile
And maybe if I tried more types of treats, something more irresistable than just dried chicken breast pieces Wink
Thanks for any suggestions xx
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Too friendly with everybody we meet outside Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Too friendly with everybody we meet outside Empty Re: Too friendly with everybody we meet outside

Post by Maxien78 Wed Aug 31 2011, 10:56

I watched something on TV that worked wonders with adult dogs that would get over excited when seeing other dogs, people, bicycles etc. What they did was kept the dog on the lead and approached the other dog/person slowly from a distance, as soon as the dog starts pulling on the lead and getting excited they turned around walking thdog in the opposite direction, when the dog calmed down they would turn back around and head toward the dog/person again. They repeated this until the dog stopped pulling and getting excited and for the first time in the dogs life it was able to approach the dogs/persons and be stroked and fussed without the over excitedness.

Its worth a try Smile
Maxien78
Maxien78
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Too friendly with everybody we meet outside Empty Re: Too friendly with everybody we meet outside

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 11:09

Maxien78 wrote:I watched something on TV that worked wonders with adult dogs that would get over excited when seeing other dogs, people, bicycles etc. What they did was kept the dog on the lead and approached the other dog/person slowly from a distance, as soon as the dog starts pulling on the lead and getting excited they turned around walking thdog in the opposite direction, when the dog calmed down they would turn back around and head toward the dog/person again. They repeated this until the dog stopped pulling and getting excited and for the first time in the dogs life it was able to approach the dogs/persons and be stroked and fussed without the over excitedness.

Its worth a try Smile

Not at all a bad technique. Also try to have her sit and wait patiently before allowing her to meet a new person. It will help bulid her patience. It helps if you practice at the house as well espically before meal times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 13:42

i am teaching skye this too, she is over excited when it comes to meeting people and new dogs, she jumps and everything, she'll get in a dogs face and jump up it etc, so i pull her away while vinnie greets them to calm her down, she was growled at by one the other day because she does this.
We are working on this 1! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 13:52

billy was the same, he still does, but very rarely, we sort of tugged on the lead, when we saw his body language change to stop him focusing on a person or a dog and said no, that seemed to have worked, good luck

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Wed Aug 31 2011, 16:17

Hi,
Thanks a lot for all these suggestions, nice to know I'm not alone Smile
The problem for me is not that she would be over excited, she just runs to all humans, lays down on her back, shows her belly and wants to be stroked and rubbed, she doesn't jump - maybe she'll start doing this later Big Grin
When she comes to dogs she is not wild either, she greets them, lifts one of her front paws up and then lays down and shows her belly and only when the dog wants to play she starts to play.
She is wild only with Ben, the collie of my boyfriend, she can give him quite a hard time biting his tail and stuff...
I'll keep her on lead when there are people around and I will teach her to stay calm, rewarding her for not to run away to them and stay focused on myself instead.
I love people who don't give her any attention, if everybody was like this then she would forget about all strangers soon I'm sure Smile
She'll get there sooner or later Wink
Thanks!
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Too friendly with everybody we meet outside Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 16:23

Well, to be honest, I'd keep her on lead till I was certain of her! At such a young age, you can't expect her to respond to you every time, especially when there are other things that are more interesting!

Until you are 100% sure of her recall, keep her on lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 20:06

lemmy still is like that he thinks everyone is his friend. we make him sit and even ask people can we borrow them LOL. everyone that comes in the hosue is told to do the same. its going slow cos he is friendly but we will get there ventualy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Wed Aug 31 2011, 20:14

I suppose it's good to have a dog that is so happy and loving, but on the other hand we never know what the other person/dog might do. As sad as it may be some people out there still think Staffies are vicious animals, o will do everything they can to get that dog put down Sad

If your dog runs up to people that person may get defensive and hurt your dog. Fair enough it may not happen to a puppy because everyone loves puppies, but as the dog gets older it will become a problem.

Maybe more playdates for the pup will work, but make them playdates where everyone ignores the dog until the dog has done a simple comand like sit, or down. Everyone is to only fuss her then.

I know we shouldn't trat our dogs like children, but a lot of the time they act like them, so if you had a kid who was always fussing for attention you would take that child away from the situation and get them to sit quietly for a short while to calm them down. Maybe this wll work for the pup.

I hate seeing pups put in their place because they are sooo playful, but boundries have to be made.

Good luck!
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down