9 months and just starting to push the boundaries!

4 posters

Go down

9 months and just starting to push the boundaries! Empty 9 months and just starting to push the boundaries!

Post by claire Tue Aug 23 2011, 13:38

Hi everyone
Winnie is now 9 months old and up until now everything has been going like a dream. However the other day I took Winnie for a lovely walk (which she is brilliant at) and stopped off for a coffee with a friend. Whilst she started off quite content to lay there and lap up all the attention she was getting from passers by, she then started to get agitated and biting her lead. When I tried to stop her from doing this she started jumping up at me and biting my wrist - but 'really' biting at my wrist! There was nothing playful in it. I was very firm and told her "no" and didn't show any fear whatsoever but eventually it was becoming quite embarrassing so I left and once I started walking with her she was fine. Infact she went to the loo immediately so I gave her the benefit of the doubt and assumed she might have behaved like that because she was desperate for the loo. However, a couple of days later, my husband experienced exactly the same thing when he was taking her for a run out in the woods and it was time to go home. Of course my husband was firm with her and she stopped in her tracks, but she just doesn't seem to take me as seriously. I just don't know how much firmer I can be. At night, my husband gets upset because she will always want to lie on the sofa with me and never him. Also she does a similar thing in the garden. She barks and bites at your legs and gets very excited. I have tried standing still and turning my back on her but she just bites anyway and it kills! Other than that she's a diamond!!!! Anyone else out that experienced this?

claire
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

9 months and just starting to push the boundaries! Empty Re: 9 months and just starting to push the boundaries!

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23 2011, 13:50

Sounds alot like our house Laughing Suki never wants to leave the dog park and can be quite stubborn when it is time to go. She is well behaved most of the times but she does still nip on occasion and sometimes quite forcefully.

They go through an awkard teenage phase and sometimes it can fell as if all the hard work you put in earlier has been wiped out. We just stay patient and consistant in her training and wait for her to get over it.

Back to top Go down

9 months and just starting to push the boundaries! Empty Re: 9 months and just starting to push the boundaries!

Post by claire Tue Aug 23 2011, 13:53

Yes, I guess we will all just have to keep being consistent with her. Thanks

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 23 2011, 13:56

Which I had better advice to give. We always look at it as a difficult year or two of training will pay off with a loving companion for the next 12 years or longer if we are lucky.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Tue Aug 23 2011, 19:12

Sophie is going through that stage at the moment, when we're out walking her on lead she will suddenly start chewing her lead and tugging on it.
We were advised by a trainer friend to take a water spray and spray it in her face when she starts.
bobs
bobs
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Aug 24 2011, 00:30

I think winny has always been a dominant little lady even from being small.
Just keep doing what your doing it would be good idea to carry treats around and learn her sit, stay try to distract her when shes in that mood shes definatly telling you off , and you have to make her understand you are not putting up with it. With a dominant dog its slightly different you have to be more cautious dont let her jump up at you in that mood push her down wearing a collar will give you more control ignore her she wont love you less but she will respect you more
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Wed Aug 24 2011, 09:39

Hi Gem
Its nice that you remember me from previous "help" posts but I think you're right, Winnie's always been quite bossy. Last night I did something different with her and it actually worked!!! Winnie was in the garden and when I went out there she started doing her usual excitable barking and darting about and nipping at my legs. However, instead of trying to catch her (which I thinks she perceives as some sort of game), and instead of standing still and folding my arms and turning my back (which also doesn't work because she still bites and it bloody hurts), I got down low and then commanded her to sit. At first she ignored me and kept on barking but I was really really stern and commanded her again and miraculously she almost submitted to me with her ears back and sat almost cowardly. I couldn't believe it! I then calmly praised her for this and then walked off. Do you think I might have cracked it?

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by madeira264527 Thu Aug 25 2011, 08:06

Sounds like you may have cracked It, Just keep It up , Use treats as well could be very effective way! Your dog could be going threw period of trying challenge you to be alpha dog , All dogs do It 1 point or another In there lifes , They Just need telling whos boss , Remember a well trained dog Is a happy dog!
madeira264527
madeira264527

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down