dog in the back of the car

2 posters

Go down

dog in the back of the car Empty dog in the back of the car

Post by Rocko2011 Sun Aug 21 2011, 20:10

got my 8 week old pup rocko a harness seat belt for car last week, before we got him that he was always at my feet in the passenger side. Now when he goes in back of car in his harness he cries and makes noises that I've never heard in my life lol we have tried everything giving him a toy and a pig ear to chew on and I even sit in the back with him aswell and he still makes the same noises.would be thankful for any advice as me and my partner dread taking him anywhere in the car now.
Rocko2011
Rocko2011
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Rocko
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

dog in the back of the car Empty Re: dog in the back of the car

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21 2011, 20:13

ignore the crying. he will make lots of noises. staffies have a wider vocal range than other dogs and are great at telling a tale too. they will talk to you and moan and grown. we call our lemmy a STAFFORDSHIRE PIG PUPPY CAT he sounds like a pig at times plays on his back like a cat and cries like a baby. he even coos and sometimes sounds like a pigeon. anyway the crying is to get you to feel sorry for him and let him back in the front of the car with you. ignore it. lemmy moans and i sometimes just put my arm back and tap his foot to reassure him we are still there.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Aug 21 2011, 20:26

Totally agree with Julie, don't pander to his whims, a belt is there for safety. If your concerned and have the room get a crate. Other than that, its safety first and a car harness is great.

Maybe try letting him wear it normally as to get used to the feeling Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21 2011, 20:27

jaleeson wrote:ignore the crying. he will make lots of noises. staffies have a wider vocal range than other dogs and are great at telling a tale too. they will talk to you and moan and grown. we call our lemmy a STAFFORDSHIRE PIG PUPPY CAT he sounds like a pig at times plays on his back like a cat and cries like a baby. he even coos and sometimes sounds like a pigeon. anyway the crying is to get you to feel sorry for him and let him back in the front of the car with you. ignore it. lemmy moans and i sometimes just put my arm back and tap his foot to reassure him we are still there.

Excleent advice thumbs up If you react to the noises he will take it as positve reinforcement and make even more noises. We have a traveling crate we put Suki in and without fail she will make a ton of noises to get attention. We completly ignore her and she settles down in about 5 minutes. I know it's hard but ignore him and he will give in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocko2011 Sun Aug 21 2011, 21:22

we put harness on 10 mins before journey hes fine with him and hes fine but the minute we put him in car he starts his crying.
we went on a 40 min drive and he cried all the way there xx
he only cries when the car is moving if we are parked he is fine.
Rocko2011
Rocko2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21 2011, 21:24

Perhaps he has an aversion to motion? If so I'm not sure how to best handle it. Perhaps short trips to get him used to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21 2011, 21:29

i agree with the short trip bit. when we first got lemmy he cried in the car but would shut up if there was someone in the back with him. we started taking him with us every where we went to get him used to it. we drive to training once a week, when we go to the supermakret i do the shopping the other half stays with the dog a quick walk round the car park and then back in the car. any short trip you are doing take the dog. he will get used to it and he will shut up eventualy you just need to percevere (dont know how to spell that word LOL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocko2011 Sun Aug 21 2011, 22:36

yeah well ive always been in the back with him so will just need to bear it and let him get used to the car as we take him everywhere we go as i don't like leaving him in the house on his own.
hopefully he'll start getting used to it the more we take him out.
Rocko2011
Rocko2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21 2011, 22:57

dont they cause us some worries and hassles the little darlings LOL i think thats where you and me have gone wrong. we never leave them on their own so we made a rod for our own backs now we cant get any peace.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down