naughty Russell :(

Go down

naughty Russell :( Empty naughty Russell :(

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 08:21

took Russell out to mum and dads for a play and didn't realise mum had left the chooks out...
well needless to say Russell got one while we were inside, saw all the dogs running excitedly so we went out to see what the ruccus was... (the other dogs are fine with the chooks, Russ just hasn't had enough time around them)

when we caught him we thought she was dead, feathers every where and one of her eyes was all white, dad picked her up to take her and bury her but she flapped her wings, so we put her in the chook box in their pen and I checked her a few mins ago she seems fine... just resting, hope she doesn't die mum loves her chooks! I feel so bad Sad

hope Russell learns his lesson, I got pretty angry with him.

Back to top Go down

naughty Russell :( Empty Re: naughty Russell :(

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 08:35

Hope the chook ok I am sure he will learn x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 08:39

Oh dear.....naughty Russell......but he's only a baby and does'nt know all the rules yet.

Hope your Mums chook is ok, and survives the ordeal

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Aug 06 2011, 09:09

Poor chook, lets hope it was just the shock and it will be ok. Naughty Russel, but as said he is just a pup and he wil learn! Must have been a shock Sad
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 09:28

yeah well when we got our lab I remember he got one of the chooks (as a pup) and he just carried it around didn't do it any harm, Russell was going for it ripping out feathers every where, but it would have run away from him thats why he tried to get it. lucky its ok so far

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 11:03

I am so sorry to hear this. I certainly hope the poor chook is up and running again soon. I had two of my own when I was younger and I will always have a soft spot in my heart for them.
russdogmum wrote:yeah well when we got our lab I remember he got one of the chooks (as a pup) and he just carried it around didn't do it any harm, Russell was going for it ripping out feathers every where, but it would have run away from him thats why he tried to get it. lucky its ok so far
Labs were bred to carry birds around softly in their mouths, Staffs were bred to tear at other dogs for human entertainment. You can't fault him for not carrying the chook about, he was just doing what he thought was right, just like the lab was doing what he thought was right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 11:13

We had the same trouble with Winston! Jethro could not care less about the chooks.. never has, and we really hoped Winston would pick up that vibe off him. But from day one Winston has chased our chooks... yes he caught one and tried to pull all her feathers out. She survived but now she has gone all weird on us, and when we let her out with the others late in the day, she hides in the shed! So every afternoon when we let the chooks out their yard, we have been putting Winston on his lead and letting them all file out past him. We yell BAH or NO at him if he tried to lunge at them, and this afternoon we had him off his lead, he went to chase them and we yelled NO and he stopped dead! We gave him alot of praise I can tell you, we are also working on our 3 sheep and goat as he likes to chase them too. But they are good with dogs and come up to him first.. drives him bonkers!! Laughing
Really hope the chook will be okay, it is often the shock that kills them..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 12:45

My lot where the same, its all curiousity so what i done i held the chicken while my lot had a good sniff, if they got to excited they got a correction etc, and now all is great they don't care about the chickens and the chickens couldn't care less about them, infact my two chooks have been getting annoyed with Blondy and chasing her around and trying to get at her when ever she walks past them...how am i supposed to correct a chicken!!!! Poor blondy she goes upto them and does the play bow trying to get them to play and they puff up and chase her to the point she is lying on her back, chooks won't do it to the adults just her because she is within eye contact and chooks tries to peck at her eyes, but Blondy is too quick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 17:57

oh dear :S poor thing :/ .. i hope she lives!! .. as said above russell is only a baby and didnt no he was doing wrong to him .. he will do the tearing apart etc with him as its the terrier in him.
fingers crossed for the chook!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07 2011, 01:48

yeah I don't blame Russell at all for this I know its just instinct and in the breed, I will call mum later today to see if the chook is still kicking, we only had two chooks so mum is pretty attatched to them (though they dont have names)
we've never had fox problems but we have lost one to a neighbours dog once, its all about supervision really!!!

Russell has been around a chicken at my OH's parents place and not even been phased by her, so I thought he was ok with them, our chook must have done a runner though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07 2011, 02:28

just spoke to mum, chicken is up and about today wandering around and she has even layed an egg... dont know if maybe Russell scared that one out of her!

but she still has her eye closed up and she is limping, so we'll see how she goes over the next couple of days, she's a resilient old girl! thought we would have lost her to shock if anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07 2011, 03:07

Glad to hear she is doing well! Do keep us updated!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07 2011, 12:14

yeah glad the chook is okay !! hope she continues that way!! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07 2011, 12:32

well seems you will paying lots more visits to your mums to get him used to them poor thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down