We've enrolled in a clicker based puppy class

2 posters

Go down

We've enrolled in a clicker based puppy class Empty We've enrolled in a clicker based puppy class

Post by Aniemother Sun Jul 24 2011, 11:20

Big Grin I'm pretty excited! Rather than signing up for puppy class in our local dog club, like I initially planned, I've signed us up for puppy classes at a clicker training based dog school. I thought that since he's taken to the shaping sessions so quickly it might be good to keep at it. I've used the clicker before, but never with a puppy and never for all my training. Bajas is my "crossover dog", who started with traditional methods (but only positive reinforcement and negative punishment) and although we used a clicker both as a conditioned reinforcer and a bit of shaping it's clear that Gummi gets it so much easier since we started when he was so much younger.

Now I can hardly wait until August 17... Laughing
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

We've enrolled in a clicker based puppy class Empty Re: We've enrolled in a clicker based puppy class

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 11:23

I will be interested to find out more when you start. I bought a clicker off ebay.. and it has been in the cupboard ever since.!! Winston picks up things pretty quick.. thought I could use it with him..

Back to top Go down

We've enrolled in a clicker based puppy class Empty Re: We've enrolled in a clicker based puppy class

Post by janey Sun Jul 24 2011, 11:26

Good luck, its always exciting trying new things, Gummi will be a star I'm sure Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun Jul 24 2011, 11:30

vanessa wrote:

I will be interested to find out more when you start. I bought a clicker off ebay.. and it has been in the cupboard ever since.!! Winston picks up things pretty quick.. thought I could use it with him..
LOL.. yes it can be hard to get started sometimes.. Why don't you try these free online "classes" and see what you both think of it? http://www.clickerlessons.com/clicker.htm Gummi caught on so fast, it was just amazing. And it's really fun, too, once you get the hang of it. Did you see the videos in Gummi's diary thread?

It might not be very useful, but didn't take more than a few minutes to teach him to get into the tire. Big Grin
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 11:32

I thought about the clicker for enacting a conditioned response but the old fashioned positive renforcement worked with Suki. I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. Best of luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun Jul 24 2011, 11:50

jstaff wrote:I thought about the clicker for enacting a conditioned response but the old fashioned positive renforcement worked with Suki. I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. Best of luck.
Yeah, the regular positive reenforcement works great! It's not very different at all, you just get a bit more precision. I'm really enjoying the possibility of shaping sessions, though, which is the only main difference.

I just discovered that the online class we've taken the last week is available in English!
http://www.canisclickertraining.com/
I recommend it to anyone who are interested, as it's quick and easy and very fun way to find out if clicker training is for you.

This is the people behind the school we'll be attending come August. Wink

Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 14:12

wow that was very impressive of your super Gummi in the tyre. Clever doggie!

Yes I will have a look at the link you sent me.....thanks for that ! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 15:03

lovely video good luck with the clicker training, love the bandana

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down