Taking Jemma out tonite, off the lead?

4 posters

Go down

Taking Jemma out tonite, off the lead? Empty Taking Jemma out tonite, off the lead?

Post by laineybell Wed Jul 13 2011, 10:43

hiya,
after Jemma's escape the other day, my OH has made the decision to meet up with a friend from his wrk tonite, with Jemma and let her off the lead with him.
i am obv a bit nervous, but if the worst happens, she is micro chipped and has a collar if she does run off.
she knows her name, and her recall is gd, i jus hope she doesnt become more interested in summit other thn me!!
laineybell
laineybell
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jemma
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Taking Jemma out tonite, off the lead? Empty Re: Taking Jemma out tonite, off the lead?

Post by gem Wed Jul 13 2011, 10:47

You are braver than me id never let mine off if there was a chance they could run away and be in danger Sad
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Taking Jemma out tonite, off the lead? Empty Re: Taking Jemma out tonite, off the lead?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 10:48

gem wrote:You are braver than me id never let mine off if there was a chance they could run away and be in danger Sad

Same here!

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Wed Jul 13 2011, 10:49

as i sed, i am a bit nervous, but whenever i call her she does come back, so i dnt think there will b a problem
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Wed Jul 13 2011, 11:29

i may chicken out of this tonite..................
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 11:35

As long as she has good recall then theres not much else u can do in preparation for her to be let off the lead......i wouldnt worry. My advice take lots of little chunks of cheese and a squeaky toy, dont let her roam to far, to start with just keep her as close as poss and give her praise and some cheese every time she comes back to you. If she does go a little to far away and shes not listening squeak the toy to get her attention then be as exciting as u can jump around and squeal like a looney and run the opposite way she wont be able to resist you lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 11:38

blaze wrote:As long as she has good recall then theres not much else u can do in preparation for her to be let off the lead......i wouldnt worry. My advice take lots of little chunks of cheese and a squeaky toy, dont let her roam to far, to start with just keep her as close as poss and give her praise and some cheese every time she comes back to you. If she does go a little to far away and shes not listening squeak the toy to get her attention then be as exciting as u can jump around and squeal like a looney and run the opposite way she wont be able to resist you lol x

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 13 2011, 11:41

Fab advice and good luck, I'm sure she will be fine, your never going to know if you don't try Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 11:56

blaze wrote:squeal like a looney and run the opposite way she wont be able to resist you lol x

thats what I do if I'm walking along the road and see a car coming - run into the bush doing that and it works every time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 11:57

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 11:59

russdogmum wrote:thats what I do if I'm walking along the road and see a car coming - run into the bush doing that and it works every time!

You walk your dog off lead along a road?

I wouldn't!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 13:08

I live in the bush, the track i walk on ends where I need to walk about 200 metres along the road, and they are rarely used roads, I can always see a car coming from ages away so its pretty safe! my dogs are always good with coming to my excited calls!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13 2011, 16:40

russdogmum wrote:I live in the bush, the track i walk on ends where I need to walk about 200 metres along the road, and they are rarely used roads, I can always see a car coming from ages away so its pretty safe! my dogs are always good with coming to my excited calls!

I live on a quiet road too Meg. I can see or hear cars coming for ages and with Jethro as a baby I would say " off the road" if a car was coming and we would go up into the bush on the side of the road.. if I hear a car coming now I just have to say it and he goes off the road.. I am doing the same with Winston, although I am walking him on a lead at the moment, . certainly don't trust him yet !! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Wed Jul 13 2011, 21:17

all went well!!
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 13 2011, 21:18

Great, you pleased? Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14 2011, 01:34

Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Thu Jul 14 2011, 10:21

i am very pleased!!
Bailey is a boxer, they were running about for 2 hours!! n im sure she cudda gone longer!!
i wont let her off on her own, as she was learning from bailey, but she will get there!
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 14 2011, 10:24

She will, and the more you do it the better, better trust learnt all round, as long as your aware of other silly owners around you Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Thu Jul 14 2011, 10:47

the only problem i had with her last nite is tht she played a lil rough, the boxer ended up with a scratch on his head, but the owner was fine about it, Jemma had a lil scratch on her belly.
i had trouble calling her back as she was so intent on playing she ignored me and my OH, although she did respond to me eventually.
When bailey was called back Jemma followed.
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14 2011, 12:01

good girl Jemma you are a star

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Thu Jul 14 2011, 15:03

Good Luck, it is nerve racking the first time you let them off the lead but it is also quite exciting Smile

But for us,we let bruno off a few times ,but one time he decided he was going to jump at a man in his 60's and the man wasn't too pleased at having a puppy jump at him and we were calling Bruno but Bruno was in deaf mode and didn't respond to us like he usually did and the man said something like put him on a lead and i thought omg that's what we are trying to do but the puppy isn't listening but eventually we got bruno on his lead and we walked off. So now he is on a 15 ft training lead and he can go for a wonder and if we seeing anyone coming then we can draw him in Smile plus having him on the lead we have more control of what goes in his mouth too Laughing as he loves horse poo.

Good luck again for tonight, i am sure she will be fine Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down