Are we too old to get a Staffie pup?

2 posters

Go down

Are we too old to get a Staffie pup? Empty Are we too old to get a Staffie pup?

Post by brindisiboy Sat Mar 30 2024, 16:19

Hi all, I’m a newbie.
My husband and I very much want a dog. I have always wanted a Staffie as I just love them and it’s only now that I have the opportunity to actually have a dog. I’ve been soft on Staffies for as long as I can remember and every time I’m out I hope I will see one!
I would just like to check that people think we would be ok getting a pup? We are in our early seventies but both (touch wood) sporty, lean and fit. We live in a rural area in a medium sized house, with lots of access to open fields.
I have read lots about the breed and varying reports about training and behaviour. Does everyone think that we should go ahead? I don’t want to let the dog down by making the wrong decision!

brindisiboy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Are we too old to get a Staffie pup? Empty Re: Are we too old to get a Staffie pup?

Post by goldie87 Tue Apr 30 2024, 15:49

brindisiboy wrote:Hi all, I’m a newbie.
My husband and I very much want a dog.  I have always wanted a Staffie as I just love them and it’s only now that I have the opportunity to actually have a dog. I’ve been soft on Staffies for as long as I can remember and every time I’m out I hope I will see one!
I would just like to check that people think we would be ok getting a pup? We are in our early seventies but both (touch wood) sporty, lean and fit.  We live in a rural area in a medium sized house, with lots of access to open fields.
I have read lots about the breed and varying reports about training and behaviour.  Does everyone think that we should go ahead? I don’t want to let the dog down by making the wrong decision!

Staffies (especially pups) have a lot of energy and definitely need to be exercised a lot but if you have an abundance of open fields in your area then that's perfect. They are brilliant dogs and if you have a passion for them, then even better. However, I think the only thing you have to ask yourself is if getting a pup is the right thing to do due to your age, I mean no offence by this but what if the pup outlives you and you have to leave it? Would you ever consider getting a rescue Staffie? There are so many Staffies in rescue centres which would hugely benefit from someone as passionate as you are about the breed.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down