Vomiting issues

2 posters

Go down

Vomiting issues Empty Vomiting issues

Post by Apollos Pappy Mon Oct 09 2023, 22:37

Hello all,new here. I own a beautiful 11 month old male Staffy. His name is Apollo.  He has been having stomach issues since he was a puppy.  We have tried multiple visits to the vet and multiple types of dog food. We think we may have figured it out. My wife thinks it's the medicine called "Simparica", it's a flea,tick and heartworm pill. We have stopped giving it to him and are waiting for it to clear his system. Right now he is on a rice and baby food diet. We are waiting for him to stop vomiting for a extended period before introducing kibble again. Does anyone have any other suggestions.  Vomiting issues Screen10
Vomiting issues Screen10

Apollos Pappy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Vomiting issues Empty Re: Vomiting issues

Post by Caryll2 Tue Oct 10 2023, 05:55

Hi & welcome.

What, if anything, has your vet suggested it could be?

I take it you're not in the UK (I only say that because we don't routinely treat for heartworm here)?

Some of the flea/tick treatments here in the UK have tentatively been linked to digestive problems and even fits, although nothing has been 'proved' as yet.

What type of food is he on & how many meals a day? Does he eat quickly or take his time?
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Vomiting issues Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Apollos Pappy Wed Oct 11 2023, 21:31

Vets have said, Allergies so we put him on a prescription dog food, no change. Than she said he may have swallowed something, and said she could x-rays in 2 weeks. I didn't like that so I switched vets. New vet did bloodwork and x-rays, all good. So my wife read about side effects of the Simparica, and he was going through all of those. The new vet said that it shouldn't be on the market because of the issues it causes. The medication stays in the system for 35 days so we are waiting a couple months before introducing new food. I'm hoping it was just the medication. We are in Upstate NY,USA

Apollos Pappy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Thu Oct 12 2023, 06:44

When you say he's on 'baby food', what do you mean?
Caryll2
Caryll2
Vomiting issues Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Apollos Pappy Fri Oct 13 2023, 02:32

sounds weird I know, plain white rice mixed with beef baby food and some fresh vegetables. He's also on Diatomaceous Earth, to help flush out toxins. He hasn't thrown up on this diet.

Apollos Pappy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Fri Oct 13 2023, 07:02

I would try and get him off that if you can. Depending on the brand of baby food, it could be quite high in fat & salt. Have you considered either a raw diet or a 'home cooked' diet? With either of them, I would look at a commercially prepared food - in the UK there are several companies who do frozen ready-made meals, I don't know about the US?

My last boy (a Bull Terrier) had awful problems with his food. He had the runs & was sick on kibble so we switched him to puppy raw. That was great,but when he went on to adult raw he went 'off' it. Eventually we introduced Butternut Box which is a frozen lightly cooked food. It suited him really well. I'd buy about a month's worth & just defrost daily.

The longer you keep Apollo on the diet he's on the harder it will be to transition off it! I know you want to wait for the drug to leave his system, but I don't think it would hurt to start gradually switching.

I know you won't get this in the US, but this is the sort of thing I mean...

https://butternutbox.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GB_GSN_FIRS_BRND_EXT_Butternut%20Box&adgroup={BB_Pure}&gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsp6pBhCfARIsAD3GZuYopQPAmyZeTBJl6xDi_PX-EqGY80F_UYwZTNKUtwyQqg0o8062WYoaAr5XEALw_wcB
Caryll2
Caryll2
Vomiting issues Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down