2 posters

Go down

New member Empty New member

Post by Nadine Mon Oct 26 2020, 10:22

Hi everyone I'm new to this site.. I've joined it to hopefully shed abit of light on a problem I have with my eldest staffy Roxy. Any advice is welcome.. She is 14 years old and we have recently been told she has cancer (mammary) the lump she has (the main one) had got infected and the fluid that came out of it smelt horrid, we took her to the vets and they said she had anywhere between a few weeks and 2 years to live.. I'm beyond devastated but semi expected it.. However they put her on some antibiotics after swabbing the fluid and it turns out that it was an infection as opposed to it being necrotic.. The antibiotics worked wonders and the size of the lump reduced about 10% the smell went and she stopped urinating randomly.. However she's had the maximum amount of antibiotics which is a course of 3 weeks and she's been off them now for a few days, the lump has grown and has started to leak fluid again although it's not smelly yet as it isn't infected. The vets as everyone knows is an expensive place but I doubt they would put her back on the antibiotics again.. She is fine in herself, eating, drinking, jumping etc no change in her at all.. I'm trying to keep it clean to prevent infection but was wondering if anyone else has been through this before? I'm desparate

Nadine
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New member Empty Re: New member

Post by gillybrent Mon Oct 26 2020, 13:36

Hi & welcome.

When it leaked fluid the first time, did they say why? I may be wrong, but I didn't think cancerous lumps leaked? Did they aspirate the lump to send for testing?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Nadine Mon Oct 26 2020, 14:14

Hi, it's basically pus filled soft pockets on top of the lump. The lump itself is very warm and red and the vet said he's about 95% sure it is cancerous as there's alot more tumours on her mammary. He only tested the fluid and had it put under a microscope to see if it was infected which is was, hence the antibiotics.

Nadine

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Oct 26 2020, 16:32

Without a fine needle aspiration you can't for certain way it's a malignant tumour. And without a proper diagnosis how can the vet offer best treatment?

Have you thought about the possibility of a second opinion?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down