Puppy treats?

2 posters

Go down

Puppy treats? Empty Puppy treats?

Post by Gracie's Dad Sun Feb 10 2019, 22:13

Hello again to all.  wave

I have another question. I am wondering what kind of treats would be recommended for a puppy 8 weeks old? We were giving her Pedigree puppy treats along with Pedigree puppy food. This Pedigree is what the pup had been on since she stopped feeding from her mother so this is why we continued with the Pedigree. But 2 days ago, she started with very loose stools which got very bad yesterday morning to the stage it was brown water coming from her.

On speaking to a friend of mine and telling them the dogs diet I was told Pedigree is not good and in fact can be really bad for dogs. I was recommended to try Step Up puppy food. So, I went along to pets at home and asked in there about puppy food and was also told Pedigree is bad for dogs and also was told the same try Step up for puppy.

I bought the step up have removed immediately the Pedigree rather than weaning her off due to the severe Diarrhoea she was having. So yesterday I boiled rice and grilled breast of chicken to help try bind up her stomach. I gave her that in the morning and afternoon and slowly I have been giving her some Step Up puppy food. She seems to be almost back to normal now with her stools hopefully tomorrow she will be back completely to normal again. Another thing we noticed was when we gave her the Pedigree, she would gulp her food down which I was worried about. Now that we are slowly changing her diet, she will eat it all slowly sometimes even leaving some having a little time (5 to 10 mins) away from it going back and finishing it. Seems to me she is more relaxed as if her little stomach is fuller. Rather than acting if she was starving when on the Pedigree.

So what kind of treats would people recommend for puppy training? I was told carrot by someone she was given carrot piece that was cut to roughly the same size as the Pedigree puppy treats. But she only picked it up and spat it out after several times if she either did not like it or thought it was something to play with.

Gracie's Dad
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy treats? Empty Re: Puppy treats?

Post by gillybrent Mon Feb 11 2019, 10:23

Some dogs really don't like veg & she sounds like one of them!

Have you thought about making your own liver cake? It's really easy & I'll give you a recipe if you want to try it. Otherwise, get small treats that have mainly meat ingredients. Alpha Spirit are very good & they do a few different ones to choose from. I believe all the major pet stores sell them, or you can get them online.

By the way, if your pup walks away from her food, pick it up & either throw it away or refrigerate until the next meal time. You don't want her overeating! As she's still on 4 meals a day, missing a little bit from the odd meal won't matter at all.

How long have you had her?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Gracie's Dad Mon Feb 11 2019, 15:02

Hi gillybrent,

Can you give me recipe? But what I got to ask at 8 weeks will liver not be to strong a food for her? You ask how long have I had her just under a week now. She was released from her mum a few days early due to her mum starting to turn on pups, probably since her mum had 11 to deal with.

Gracie's Dad

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down