janey
gem
chloexxx
lauren19
8 posters

Go down

Holidays Empty Holidays

Post by lauren19 Wed Jul 06 2011, 10:53

When we first got Rhia we planned on going on a caravan holiday as usual (dont do holidays out of Britain with 3 young kids due to feeling like I needed a holiday when we got back from 2wks in Turkey with them) then discovered that most caravan owners are not keen on you taking dogs.
We then thought about going away and leaving Rhia with my aunt but decided it wasnt fair with her being so young and we'd miss her too much.
Now we have booked a big youth hostel in the Scottish Borders with about 20 friends (who are all dog lovers) and we are all taking our dogs and kids - this is ok for this year not sure if I'll be saying that when we get back confused
In future I might not be so keen on going with so many people but definitely need somewhere that we can take the dog - what is everyone else doing for their holidays with/without their dogs????
lauren19
lauren19
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rhia
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Holidays Empty Re: Holidays

Post by chloexxx Wed Jul 06 2011, 11:10

We have our own caravan, most sites welcome dogs even CC sites
chloexxx
chloexxx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Holidays Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chloe, Blake
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch/ Dog
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Jul 06 2011, 11:11

That sounds fab any spare beds for me I adore scotland im sure youll have a great time im hoping to visit there in september time just me and the hubby my girl is very travel sick Sad
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 06 2011, 11:29

Last year we went to Norfolk and stayed in a b&b above a pub that welcomed dogs, was right across the road from the beach too Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06 2011, 11:32

We take ours with our dogs. Once she is raised properly and we can find a trustworthy sitter we will go without her.

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren19 Wed Jul 06 2011, 14:04

@chloexxx - do you have a tourer caravan or is it on a campsite? It has mostly been holiday camps ie haven that I have enquired about and owners werent allowing dogs.
@Gem - where in Scotland do you plan on going to? We are just outside edinburgh. I'm looking forward to youth hostel have never done anything like that before so will be an experience.
also I see on alot of posts that you can quote the section you are replying to but cant work out how to do it??? hence having to do an @ before name to show who I am replying to...
lauren19
lauren19

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren19 Wed Jul 06 2011, 14:07

The longest car journey Rhia has had was about 30 mins on Sunday when we went to beach and she was sick - in father in laws car unfortunately -oops.
Does anyone have any advice on ways to prevent this??
lauren19
lauren19

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Wed Jul 06 2011, 14:55

Hi we have a tourer, which makes things easy I guess.. We have no problems taking then anywhere even abroad

Park resorts allow dogs in there bronze caravans, so do Haven.... Try Park dean they allow dogs and Stanwix park in Cumbria
chloexxx
chloexxx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Holidays Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chloe, Blake
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch/ Dog
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06 2011, 15:07

lauren19 wrote:The longest car journey Rhia has had was about 30 mins on Sunday when we went to beach and she was sick - in father in laws car unfortunately -oops.
Does anyone have any advice on ways to prevent this??

I have heard that it is best to limit the food you give your dog before you travel, but that a gingernut biscuit can help settle their tummy...
Also it is best if your dog faces forward and to wind the windows down a bit...

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Wed Jul 06 2011, 21:07

Well I'm saving the tokens in the sun and hopefully going to North Wales, Pwllheli on a Haven site where they allow dogs.
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06 2011, 21:16

We're going camping to Yorkshire - Wensleydale. There's a lovely little camp site that welcomes dogs as long as they're kept on lead whilst on site.

lauren19 wrote:@chloexxx - do you have a tourer caravan or is it on a campsite? It has mostly been holiday camps ie haven that I have enquired about and owners werent allowing dogs.
@Gem - where in Scotland do you plan on going to? We are just outside edinburgh. I'm looking forward to youth hostel have never done anything like that before so will be an experience.
also I see on alot of posts that you can quote the section you are replying to but cant work out how to do it??? hence having to do an @ before name to show who I am replying to...

Just click 'QUOTE' at the top of the post you want to quote & it'll come up in a text box for you. Then just type whatever you want to say underneath & click 'SEND' underneath.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Jul 07 2011, 00:00

Im hoping to go to stay at loc lomand and visit the trossacks and glasgow in september im very envious about the scotish people they have beautiful places to visit it sounds fab loads of you all staying together . Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Cody Thu Jul 07 2011, 08:46

The OHs parents have a caravan in Cornwall (permenantly on a site) and they allow dogs. They used to take their Retriever down whenever they went (she had to be PTS earlier this year, she was 12 though so not a bad age).

We're getting married in August and the plan is to go to the caravan for a week in Sep (can't afford to go abroad!) and take Cody and our bengal with us (He is a pain and hates other people, he's a house cat though and goes on walks so i'm sure he'll love it in cornwall!)
Cody
Cody
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Cody
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Sat Jul 09 2011, 09:48

When our kids were younger and hubby was working away, me and a friend took our kids and dogs to a site in Cornwall, we had a lab and a rottie cross then and we didn't have a problem renting a caravan for a couple of weeks at a holiday camp, although we had to have an old tatty one as they didn't let dogs in the nice posh ones. We didn't mind that as we were hardly in it anyway Laughing
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 09:55

we are booking a large cottage in Devon for next year for my mums 60th and sis's 40th - sleeps 16 so huge! you may want to look into those types as most allow dogs too.
for this year im off to Hong Kong Thailand and Dubai - not 3 seperate holidays its come as alittle tour package

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Jul 09 2011, 11:04

nicolalouises wrote:we are booking a large cottage in Devon for next year for my mums 60th and sis's 40th - sleeps 16 so huge! you may want to look into those types as most allow dogs too.
for this year im off to Hong Kong Thailand and Dubai - not 3 seperate holidays its come as alittle tour package
Im hoping to visit Thailand in the next few years my brother has 2 properties there and keeps asking me to go the trouble is flying I hate it and 5 hours has been my max up to now but I will go one day let us all know how you go it sounds fantastic Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 11:08

gem wrote:
nicolalouises wrote:we are booking a large cottage in Devon for next year for my mums 60th and sis's 40th - sleeps 16 so huge! you may want to look into those types as most allow dogs too.
Im hoping to visit Thailand in the next few years my brother has 2 properties there and keeps asking me to go the trouble is flying I hate it and 5 hours has been my max up to now but I will go one day let us all know how you go it sounds fantastic Big Grin

its 8 weeks tomorrow so getting real excited now! oh you'll all definitely find out how it goes -never been to those places before so its going to be an experience!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sat Jul 09 2011, 18:15

We took Sophie on holiday with us to the Park Resorts on the Isle of Wight. When we spoke to them about taking Sophie and they couldn't do enough for us. They upgraded us to a chalet from a caravan which was perfect, it had laminated floors poor Sophie kept running but getting nowhere fast. It did help that one of the receptionists was a staffie owner and couldn't wait to meet Sophie.

We are going up to the Peak District in September and booked through Sykes Holidays who were very good accommodating dogs.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 19:43

Try forest holidays we go to Keldy forest near Pickering but they have them all over depending on what part of the country you wish to visit

http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down