Rosie help

Go down

Rosie help Empty Rosie help

Post by Two89w Tue Jul 19 2016, 02:47

OK, Rosie has developed a habit (Seems to be since Eddie has been with us, however she has always done it with bikes, scooters etc) of jumping at and barking at people. Not everyone just some people.

We were at the shops sitting on the seats out the front and a 50 something year old lady stops and says how cute is it ok to pat her. I said yes and let the lead go lose so Rosie could go to her. Rosie jumps up to her and she starts to pat Rosie then Rosie starts barking and jumps at her face.

Previous day…We were just walking to a crossing and she turns around and jumps/barks madly at a lady in her 60’s. I walk another 20 meters to stop at the crossing and the poor lady was standing way behind me with a scared look on her face. 5 mins later I stop to talk to the chiro in his 40’s on his way to get a coffee and Rosie is nice at the start then jumps at him and starts going off.

6 am out for walk this morning and 4 times it happened with different people.

Is it a protective thing towards me ? or Eddie? Or ? Advise on how to stop it?
Two89w
Two89w
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rosie
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Rosie help Empty Re: Rosie help

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2016, 07:14

There are various reasons why this could start - a hit of the nerves, excitement - but you obviously do want to stop it. For the time being, I'd work on having Rosie sitting still facing you when YOU greet people, and her ignoring them (and them her), so that she learns to just sit and be quiet. Then build up to a brief hello. For now, keep your interactions with people very brief so she doesn't have the chance to go into ping mode and always reward her with lots of treats for being good.

Once the habit is broken and she's got the hang of quiet, then build up.

It's worth explaining to people that she's in training as she gets too excited meeting people, so that they understand why they can't talk to her. And make sure that the 'but dogs are fine with me' people are kept at bay. That's why having Rosie facing you sitting works better, as they are less likely to pat her bum on the floor.

Back to top Go down