Training to walk off lead

Go down

Training to walk off lead Empty Training to walk off lead

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 15:22

I think Skye would be a good one to teach of lead, she focus's on me on her walks all the time etc, Vinnie i would love to teach to walk off lead but he has the attention span of a goldfish at times! haha.
Anybody have any tips on how i could go about this?
I hear doing it in the back garden practicing recall with treats etc is best thing to do .. only reason i havnt off lead walked them before is im worried they wont pay any attention to me and bolt! Straight Face
Even if i only use it encase they get of the lead or out of the house, or just at the park, its obviously always usefull

Back to top Go down

Training to walk off lead Empty Re: Training to walk off lead

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 15:35

to be honest I can't even remember how we taught Jethro to walk off lead but he has never wandered far from us... Winston is so different.. when we went up to the dam yesterday he trotted off when he saw kangaroos... after abit of enticing he came back to us. I am going to take treats with me next time and call him back at random to give him a treat so he learns not to go too far away from me..Sorry I am not much help am I !!

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Mon Jul 04 2011, 15:39

Molly is far from perfect and trustable at this so probley not the best person to give advise to be honest but...

We walked Molly round the garden from a very very young age and got her used to lead walking by our side without pulling to start with.

Then we also did alot of recall practise, firstly in the house, then in the garden then at the park. (She still aint great at this.)

Then in very quite places where there are no roads practised short periods of off lead walking, making sure got treats at all times (Sometimes toys work better for some dogs), oh or sticks Molly loves sticks and gives you her full attetion if you got a big stick.

Then started doing it at the park away from the roads but around more people, then we have got to a stage where we just about trust her on very quite roads. But have to be so on the ball still soon as she slightly thinks about being distracted correct her and get her walking perfectly by our side and treat her for doing well.

Of course before and during that process also trained her lots of other commands with treats and toys as rewards, so she can sit, down, off, leave, rollover, spin, back, jump, sit pretty.

I think having a general understanding of doing what you ask gets them good things so think these are also important even though its kinda not relevant to walking off lead.
johneva
johneva
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 19:59

I actually find Charlie much better off lead. When he's on the lead, he pulls constantly and won't listen. When he's off lead, he has a sniff and a wander but comes back when I call him. I think some dogs are better off the lead, you just have to trust them enough to try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 22:56

Thanks guys =) .. yhh thats my trouble, having the confidence to try and trust they'll recall lol il see how it goes Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 23:02

I would recommend getting a very long lead to practice away from home. This lets the dog have the feeling of more freedom and you can still reel the leash back in if there is a situation that you are not comfortable with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 23:21

Well .. I did do this with vinnie .. BUT i left him alone for 2mins and he chewed it to bits!! lol so have to replace that! lol
But when i had him on that at the beach he was great, seeing dogs took a few times but obv his first time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down