Laws & dog bites anyone know?

4 posters

Go down

Laws & dog bites anyone know? Empty Laws & dog bites anyone know?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 19:43

Hi all

Right Im having a few probs at the moment im trying to move but until I can were stuck on this bl**dy estate!
Kids climbing the garden fences at wits end normally to retreve footballs (dont know what ever happened to knocking and asking for it!), but basically Mazda wil bark growl and look scarey but never bite if someone came in her garden which has suited me fine, Problem I now have is one boy (funny enough a friends boy but trust me this is a wild animal not a child Surprised ) whilst I was eating lunch with a a friend in my kitchen, got to the top of my fence (6ft all round) Zero flew teeth baring, gremlin noises the full works and hit the fence so hard the boy went flying and Zero's head went through the fence, still trying to attack!! Sad and boy o boy did he mean it, he was sitting by my 2yr old at the time so I and my friend believe he was protecting her. Lucky the boy and Zero wernt hurt just a few grazes (his mums just been for a coffee and said its his own fault, even had her baby crawling round with the dogs so clearly wasnt phased) my worry as as you can imagine is where do I stand if he does bite even though its HIS property?

I have proper kennel and run but the kids could easily land in there if the climb the wrong part of my fence as it runs along side, I have 2 signs up one on the outside of the gate saying "caution dogs running free" and one on the kennel/run gate saying "staffies live here", my fences are 6ft all round, I feel ive got as much as possible to "keep them contained safely" but after today its worrying me as they (or Zero) isnt nasty at all so this was a shocker.

Any help/links or advice would be great before Zero ends up on a tagging I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Laws & dog bites anyone know? Empty Re: Laws & dog bites anyone know?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 19:53

The law as it stands now will be on your side where a burglar or trespasser is concerned. But a child? I doubt it. I think you're going to have to put razor wire around the top of your fence. If you do that, you will have to put warning signs at specific intervals around it.

If you do go down that road, buy it from a reputable company and tell them exactly what you need it for, and what the regulations call for. They'll advise you as to what you can have, and what you need to put up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 19:55

Sorry i would tack barbed wire along the top of my fence. why take the risk it may hurt the kids hands but its better than something terrible happening to them and your dogs.
But anyway about the laws all i have heard lately is that no aggression is tolerated at all when it comes to children, sure enough if an adult was to do it. it could be classed as protection but when it involves children one bite is all that is needed to stire up a riot with the police and warden.
If it happens again i would report it. have awarden come out and let them see just how careful you are beig with the warnings/kennels and let them see that in total your ogs are not aggressive so that can be on record.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 19:56

Even with barbed wire, you'll need to put warnings - ridiculous, I know, but it's the law!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 20:01

Of course have warnings up but at the moment they don't seem to be doing the trick but you still have too,
My step dad had a camera out his back garden watching the ice cream van he was told to remove it because he gave no notice it was there, he was not allowed to have it there until he had a notice.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 01 2011, 20:06

I really wouldn't know, but didn't realise the law was that lax! Great idea on reporting it (well I think anyway). Must have been a bit of a shock. Lets hope you get to move soon Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Jul 01 2011, 20:08

I dont think you are allowed to use barbed wire unless the fencing is of a certain height they recomend anti vandal paint because it doesnt dry therefore discourages anyone climbing on it. If your property is clearly labelled with dogs running free and enter at your own risk its a tresspass whatever the age of the child as long as the child can read of course. Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Fri Jul 01 2011, 21:04

I would report it to the police and get them to go round to the boys house to warn the parents of the dangers of climbing your fence. That way you will be seen to be trying to avoid any mishap to anyone foolish enough to try to climb over the fence. They might be able to offer some advice aswell
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02 2011, 08:02

Thank u all for ur advice I think I will give the police a quick ring today and as said cover myself a bit, it may have been a one off for Zero but if it isnt I really dont want to see a child bitten, I have 2 daughters of my own and know i'd never forgive an owner if a dog bit them, even though these kids drive me mad! I did last night have a word with one of the other parents and she has a staffie/boxer cross so knows how annoying kids can b too dogs so with any luck them ones shouldnt be a problem now, but the boy it happened too I know is out of control (hes only 9 Straight Face ) but my best mate had problems with him & her daughter fighting (involving nose bleeds) and my other neighbour got her new car damaged cos he jumped all over it!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Jul 05 2011, 12:54

If you have a sign warning people to beware of the dog and they enter your property and are bitten then there is nothing the law can do. Similarly if someone enters your property without your permission and is bitten by the dog then it is seen as their fault.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:58

I spoke to someone at the station (didnt really know his own name let alone the law, bit err useless) but did say all angles that can be entered need a sign in view ( as mines a end house with a carpark at the side (never used except kids playing) and a alley running along the bottom fence ive now got a sign on back & side fences, 1 on the gate, 1 on the keenel door/gate and one on the front door. now if that aint enough warning I dont know what is!! Laughing (all signs are diff, caution, warning, I can clear the gate etc)
But lucky I think speaking to the parents has worked cos ive had no probs for a few days now, think the boy was frightened enough and as a few other kids see its prob scared them enough too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down