How to Stop the Biting

Go down

How to Stop the Biting Empty How to Stop the Biting

Post by rascal_dog Tue Jun 21 2011, 09:34

We are learning the painful way why puppies should be left with their mothers until they are eight weeks. Rascal has taken to biting us, in some cases quite hard.

What are some effective ways to address this behaviour please?

At the moment we are taking to putting her outside if she 'crosses the line'. It's a bit hard to just do the whole walk away and ignore her thing as there are four of us, our place is quite small, and often she will just chase after us and start biting at our ankles and feet.

We do have a crate for her but don't want to use that as a form of punishment.

It's not all the time but it seems to come out of nowhere. Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.
rascal_dog
rascal_dog
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rascal
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

How to Stop the Biting Empty Re: How to Stop the Biting

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 13:46

She may be trying to iniate play. If she chases after you turn your back it is likely the prey instinct. I agree that using a crate as a punishment is a bad idea. You can try owning the space and giving a firm no but that can be painfull. Have you tried telling her no and then giving her something that she is allowed to chew on? While this does condition her to getting a response if she nips it does redirect the behaviour. She is also teething so she may just be trying to alleviate the pain. Take it all in stride because it will pass.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 14:02

I think the old tried & tested "no!" may work best here. I always use a low, long drawn out "Noooooooo!" and then stop all play & all interraction. If necessary put her in her crate, but not as a punishment, ie don't get angry or rough with her. If she won't stop biting just pick her up, put her gently in her crate & shut the door until she is calm again.

She really won't see it as a punishment, just a place to quieten down.

I know it's a pain (literally), but with firm & consistent training she will get through it (and through your hands/arms/ankles/feet...........!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down