Toy/pillow aggression

Go down

Toy/pillow aggression Empty Toy/pillow aggression

Post by PoaBoss Wed Jun 15 2011, 17:58

Boss typically has no aggression but when it comes to a toy or pillow some flip switchs and you cant get to close to him. He has never bit but has threatened. He very rarely plays with toys and hasnt in months but when he does you cant touch him or the toy without him growling. I find it was my old roommate who caused the problem, my room mate was very aggressive especially to Boss and I, would take the toys and hide them(no idea why), and so since then he will growl if you get close. Also if my new roommate or my OH drop a pillow or toss a pillow to the next couch he grabs it and starts ripping because the old roommate would throw pillows at him, once when trying to take it away he will snarl and bark and launch at me barking but wont bite. I am trying to figure out how to get him to calm down, any ideas? Luckily it rarely happens but hes very strong it wouldnt be good if he bit my new roomie my OH or myself
PoaBoss
PoaBoss
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Toy/pillow aggression Empty Re: Toy/pillow aggression

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15 2011, 23:12

To start with I would take away all cushions for a while & not let him on the bed where the pillow are! Once you've got him responding well, you can gradually reintroduce them.

With the toys, I would take them all away, and only let him play with whichever one you choose - only one toy at a time. Try to make it one that can't be ripped to start with, and one that you can safely hold without him nipping your fingers! You will need to have a strong 'leave' command for this to work, so you might want to brush up on that first!

Make him sit, and hold the toy in front of him, telling him to 'leave' it. Then let him take hold, but keep hold of the other end yourself. Keep talking calmly and quietly to him. After a short game, tell him to leave it, and when (hopefully) he does, you can give him lots of praise & throw the toy for him to have. After a few minutes, approach him but don't go too near. Tell him to leave the toy & take it from him. Once you have it, quiet & calm praise & then repeat the whole thing again.

That's what I'd try, but I'm sure others will have some good ideas for you.

Back to top Go down