some advice

+2
Staffy
Buster
6 posters

Go down

some advice Empty some advice

Post by Buster Mon Jun 13 2011, 12:52

hi, i have read through some other topics and i dont want to exactly, "hijack" somebody else's post, but anyways
buster is now in his crate, mainly got it for a bed for him, his own little place.
he gets locked in when were cleaning around him etc etc, and let him loose at bed time, and when were not in the house, but should he be locked in when were in bed and at work? obviously with water, and after hes had a feed. Only problem is were out for 8 hours at work, but hes good at going to the toilet when we go outside, any help would be great doh
Buster
Buster
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

some advice Empty Re: some advice

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13 2011, 12:57

At 12 weeks, he's very young to be locked in a crate for 8 hours at a time. is there anyone who can pop in at lunchtime and let him out for a wee and a little walk maybe? There is nothing wrong with crating him when you are in bed and at work, but at his age, I think it's best if someone could let him out for a bit halfway through if at all possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster Mon Jun 13 2011, 12:59

shontelle wrote:At 12 weeks, he's very young to be locked in a crate for 8 hours at a time. is there anyone who can pop in at lunchtime and let him out for a wee and a little walk maybe? There is nothing wrong with crating him when you are in bed and at work, but at his age, I think it's best if someone could let him out for a bit halfway through if at all possible.

i could come home at lunch, so it would be like, 4 hours a time, but i wanted some proper adivce before i attempted it, i know he's a bit young, but there is only so many times i can replace my carpet on my stairs Laughing
Buster
Buster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13 2011, 12:59

maybe have a look around for a dog walker, they will pop in and make sure everything is ok and take him out for a bit, i agree with shontelle its a bit too long for 8 hours during the day and all night as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13 2011, 13:00

sorry crossed posts, coming home at lunch time would be great

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy Mon Jun 13 2011, 13:00

You could section off the crate and have half as a toilet and half as a bed.
Could he not have a kennel out in the garden for nice days when your at work?

Another thing is would it not be possible for you to come back home and walk him quickly when your having your lunch break?
Staffy
Staffy
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
some advice Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tilly.
Dog Gender(s) : Female.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13 2011, 13:01

yea 8 hours is too long for any dog to be locked in a crate let alone a pup, if someone could pop in half way through the day and walk him that would be perfect x

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster Mon Jun 13 2011, 13:15

yeah i could that during the day then, does anybody think it would be ok for night time ?
Buster
Buster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13 2011, 13:18

we left billy all night from being about 8 weeks old, he went in his crate about 11.00pm and he was let out at 6.00am.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster Mon Jun 13 2011, 13:20

hmm.. well what would you say the maximum hours he could be left in his crate, ?
Buster
Buster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13 2011, 13:22

At his age, if you're gonna be leaving him in the crate for any longer that 3-5 hours, he needs to be let out briefly sometime in between I'd think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13 2011, 16:18

Dempsey was shut in his crate from about 11pm (after a last visit to the garden for a wee) until about 4am when my oh goes to work, then, after another toilet visit to the garden, he'd be shut back in until I got up at about 7am. I would say that 5 or 6 hours at night is maximum for a really young pup, and about 4 hours during the day.

But don't forget that a pup will get terribly bored stuck in a crate for hours on end, and could resort to detructive behaviour such as eating his bedding. If it's going to be 5 days a week, then you could get some serious problems with boredom! A couple of times a week would be fine, but I don't know about every day.

It would be better if you could shut him in a safe room - one that doesn't have wires/things he can chew. Not easy, but at least he'd be able to roam around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster Wed Jun 15 2011, 08:40

well he had his own wee room, and he destoryed the carpet, and started chewing the corners of the walls etc, i'm putting flooring down in the room and that now - mistake on my part for putting him in there in the first place lol, but i was thinking of putting him back in the room with his crate, as a bed, and let him roam about there again.. yes / no ? Sad
Buster
Buster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15 2011, 11:12

That would be fine, although I still think that leaving a breed like the stafford alone for such long periods without any human company is a bad idea.

Could you not arrange for someone to come in & give him a walk half way through the day? You risk quite serious mental issues otherwise, caused by boredom and loneliness.

Back to top Go down

Post by fourstaffs Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:11

can i just ask why do ppl put dogs in crates no sure i understand as i never done it ?

fourstaffs
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : william,harry,gorgie,bella
Dog Gender(s) : malex3,female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:39

Bruno goes in a crate, when i go on a school run, go upstairs to do something or put ironing away and he often goes in there , for a sleep during day/early evening for some peace and quiet, some me time i think. But he is crated for our choice of not wanting to lose anymore stuff ie tv as it is new and not paid for yet............. and of course for his safety of not losing his life as monday he chewed through our sky+ box lead.......... he just made us cancel sky quicker :lol:as we were going to cancel it anyways, But he was very lucky that he didn't lose his life through doing it, so i feel it is the best thing for him Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:54

Caryll wrote:That would be fine, although I still think that leaving a breed like the stafford alone for such long periods without any human company is a bad idea.

Could you not arrange for someone to come in & give him a walk half way through the day? You risk quite serious mental issues otherwise, caused by boredom and loneliness.

yeah i can and do sometimes come home to see him halfway during the day, spend a good 45 mins of just constant running around playing with him, so hes not on his own all day, just wanting really whats best for the wee guy Rolling Eyes
Buster
Buster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cmt Wed Jun 15 2011, 14:10

Hi, we've used a crate for Nala since she was 9 weeks old, her toilet training has come on really well. However, we both work, and when having her my husband was shifts which worked well, however at the moment we are both day based which is not ideal for her. We crate her overnight, from 10.30/11.00-7.00 which she is fine with. However, Nala is 6 months now so older than your puppy. She is left in the daytime but as she is left for about 7 hours I don't think it's fair to crate her, no. 1 she couldn't always hold on until we get in to go to the toilet and no 2 I feel it would be really boring for her to be locked in a cage for all that time, however, boredom does set in, and I had done the research before having her and she has chewed my door frames and my skurting boards so be aware, however, from reading I have found that Staffs tend to be chewers, especially as pups, and I guess when bored, I have to say when I'm there with her she isn't too bad. I have to say I would not let her have the run of the house by any means and I do use the crate if I'm popping out for an hour or so, and again if I'm cleaning etc. Of an evening she is with us in our lounge, but again I would not let her be in a room alone because I think she would do a lot of damage, however she is only 6 months, and I'm hoping, fingers crossed she will eventually grow out of it!
cmt
cmt

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15 2011, 16:02

Buster wrote:
Caryll wrote:That would be fine, although I still think that leaving a breed like the stafford alone for such long periods without any human company is a bad idea.

yeah i can and do sometimes come home to see him halfway during the day, spend a good 45 mins of just constant running around playing with him, so hes not on his own all day, just wanting really whats best for the wee guy Rolling Eyes

If you can give him a break half way through, then he should be ok, but I think he may be a little slower to house train because you won't be there to catch him when he needs to go! As he gets bigger, you'll need to judge when you can leave the crate door open so that he can stretch his legs - otherwise he'll go stir-crazy!

Back to top Go down

Post by fourstaffs Wed Jun 15 2011, 21:46

mine have taken over the front room had to pup prof it but they go in ther at nite and if we go out got some pics of them i be put up soon

fourstaffs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jun 15 2011, 21:52

fourstaffs wrote:mine have taken over the front room had to pup prof it but they go in ther at nite and if we go out got some pics of them i be put up soon

Pics?? Can't wait Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by fourstaffs Wed Jun 15 2011, 21:57

janey wrote:
fourstaffs wrote:mine have taken over the front room had to pup prof it but they go in ther at nite and if we go out got some pics of them i be put up soon

Pics?? Can't wait Big Grin
got lots of all four just load up photobuket at a sanil pace

fourstaffs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jun 15 2011, 22:03

No the feeling !! hurry up!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15 2011, 22:04

Yes, I've been having trouble with photobucket as well - it's been taking hours, literally! coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jun 15 2011, 22:06

Does that mean we're due some Dempsy pics too Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female