T minus 4 days till puppy arrival - final checks

4 posters

Go down

T minus 4 days till puppy arrival - final checks Empty T minus 4 days till puppy arrival - final checks

Post by Skimsa Mon Jun 06 2011, 21:35

Well Kayla arrives on Friday YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Just want to check a couple of things:

Got her a crate, the bed fill 3/4 of it. Should I;
a) Try and block it with something
b) put her food and water bowl in there to fill the space and get her attached to her crate

She has her second jab on Friday, should I leave her a week before walking her? This is what vet advised.

When does she have her third jab? Vet said just the yearly but I thought it was 10 weeks.

When leaving her for a week, i have a litter tray i will put newspaper in as she is newspaper trained. Should i put this in the front 3/4 of her crate or outside?

Any tips of hints for the first stages of puppyness would be appreciated. I have her booked into a puppy training class Big Grin
Skimsa
Skimsa
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Kayla
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

T minus 4 days till puppy arrival - final checks Empty Re: T minus 4 days till puppy arrival - final checks

Post by gem Mon Jun 06 2011, 21:48

Excited excited excited ive not had a puppy for so long so dont know the proceedure now but loads of cuddling a must and pics of course Big Grin
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

T minus 4 days till puppy arrival - final checks Empty Re: T minus 4 days till puppy arrival - final checks

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 22:17

Firstly is it a big crate if so i would section it off to make it puppy size as she will be eaiser to house train that way and she wont want to mess her bed. Yes leave her a week before taking her out follow vets advice. There isnt a third jab, She should of had her first jab then 2 weeks ish later have a second then thats her done till this time next year when she will have her booster. With the toliet training do u have to use the newspaper? When kaos was a baby i just taught him straight away to go outside. Every 1/2 hour to an hour i took him out and treated him like mad when he went. You could still put the paper in the crate at night for a while till he starts to get the hang of holding it x

Back to top Go down

Post by Skimsa Mon Jun 06 2011, 22:20

blaze wrote:Firstly is it a big crate if so i would section it off to make it puppy size as she will be eaiser to house train that way and she wont want to mess her bed. Yes leave her a week before taking her out follow vets advice. There isnt a third jab, She should of had her first jab then 2 weeks ish later have a second then thats her done till this time next year when she will have her booster. With the toliet training do u have to use the newspaper? When kaos was a baby i just taught him straight away to go outside. Every 1/2 hour to an hour i took him out and treated him like mad when he went. You could still put the paper in the crate at night for a while till he starts to get the hang of holding it x
Its a small crate so when she grows she will fill it, at the moment though she wont.
Will definitely leave her for a week.
Ive confirmed its the 2 jabs.
I only will use the newspaper for the week she has to stay indoors.
I will try and block the crate off after she gets used to not going in the crate.
Skimsa
Skimsa

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 08:36

oh you must be so excited Smile

we took billy out every hour during the day for toilet training then at night put some newspaper down in a section of his crate, it worked well

good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jun 07 2011, 09:08

T minus 3 days Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 11:46

Skimsa wrote:Its a small crate so when she grows she will fill it, at the moment though she wont.
I will try and block the crate off after she gets used to not going in the crate.

Do you have access to a garden? It's just that it's often difficult to stop a pup using paper once it's got used to it! If you have a garden, she can go out in that straight away, you don't have to wait a week after the vaccinations, it's just outside walks you have to avoid.

When I got Dempsey he looked lost in his crate so I put the bottom half of a pet carrier in there with some bedding and then put toys in the other half in case he got bored in the night. I wouldn't put food & water in there as they could well get spilt & then she'll have wet bedding to sleep on - not a good idea for a pup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skimsa Tue Jun 07 2011, 12:37

Caryll wrote:
Skimsa wrote:Its a small crate so when she grows she will fill it, at the moment though she wont.

Do you have access to a garden? It's just that it's often difficult to stop a pup using paper once it's got used to it! If you have a garden, she can go out in that straight away, you don't have to wait a week after the vaccinations, it's just outside walks you have to avoid.

When I got Dempsey he looked lost in his crate so I put the bottom half of a pet carrier in there with some bedding and then put toys in the other half in case he got bored in the night. I wouldn't put food & water in there as they could well get spilt & then she'll have wet bedding to sleep on - not a good idea for a pup.
No garden im afriad but do have a car park area. Is it worth trying to get her to go out there? I dont want to take her on the streets as I know dogs are around.

I think i will put the litter tray and paper in the other half, then at least if there is any accidents its clean
Skimsa
Skimsa

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 12:39

It depends who else has access to the car park area. If a lot of other dogs go on there, then you should keep her away until the vet says she can go out. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Skimsa Tue Jun 07 2011, 15:41

Caryll wrote:It depends who else has access to the car park area. If a lot of other dogs go on there, then you should keep her away until the vet says she can go out. Sad
I think there are. At the very least I cant be 100% - looks like the little tyke's going to have to stay indoors for a week Sad
Skimsa
Skimsa

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 19:36

Awww you will find a week is no time with a new pup! she will keep you very busy haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skimsa Tue Jun 07 2011, 23:17

staffy-lover89 wrote:Awww you will find a week is no time with a new pup! she will keep you very busy haha.

I know it will be great fun - I was going to take her down the pub on Saturday lol, break her in properly
Skimsa
Skimsa

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jun 07 2011, 23:26

Skimsa wrote:
staffy-lover89 wrote:Awww you will find a week is no time with a new pup! she will keep you very busy haha.

I know it will be great fun - I was going to take her down the pub on Saturday lol, break her in properly

what a great idea Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 08:48

billy loves it when we take him to the pub, everyone fusses over him

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jun 08 2011, 09:21

lynne wrote:billy loves it when we take him to the pub, everyone fusses over him

Smile

I love it when Moo drags me there Big Grin all that fuss!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 09:23

Awww! Smile we took vinnie loads of places and in the car too to get used to all the new things before he was able to go out for walks, we do it w. Skye too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Skimsa Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:00

She's visiting my Moms house on Sunday as I know no dogs will be there. Then over to a friends flat on Friday before being unleashed on the world!!!!
Skimsa
Skimsa

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:11

Not long to go, now!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:12

Don't forget a camera, they sleep loads at that age so no excuse Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:31

janey wrote:Don't forget a camera, they sleep loads at that age so no excuse Big Grin

Yes Piccy's are a must on here Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 08:26

not long now, tomorrow will son be here

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down