Raw as a whole

4 posters

Go down

Raw as a whole  Empty Raw as a whole

Post by chrisoc96 Tue Jun 03 2014, 15:15

right after going to a show recently ive decided to get my bitch into a-frame ,weightpull etc at a competitive level so ive decided to swap to raw to just give her that bit of muscle yet get her leaner if that makes sence toned i suppose is the term just wondering what sort of diet you recommend preferably with kibble still linked in easier for the others to prepare when im not at home looking at chicken necks and the later on givin her kibble or something simple to prepare ??Raw as a whole  10394576_650802404973094_1667826391621517703_n_zpsa60c7e25

chrisoc96
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Raw as a whole  Empty Re: Raw as a whole

Post by jshrew Tue Jun 03 2014, 18:35

You would be best to drop the kibble all together to make it easier on their digestion. Plenty of info and links here into how to get started

For the first couple weeks it should be a simple diet with chicken or turkey only mince, wings, necks etc and then slowly introduce other meats and offal

As for ease of others feeding my parents were dead against feeding raw but I only have mince set aside for when he stops with them and I prepare the meals into individual old take away containers and keep them in a cheap lunch cool bag they actually commented how it's nicer than having to serve up their dogs tinned food

With kibble the dog walker would also on occasion feed Ledger for me but I won't ask her to feed now, we just vary up the diet and on those odd days instead of his usual two meals he will have one larger portion of chicken etc to feed on around midday and I have some small mince stuffed frozen hooves to leave as a treat
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisoc96 Tue Jun 03 2014, 19:35

so what your saying is try get the raw in large portions sort out the meals and then think of a way to store these meals and freeze um so it ????

chrisoc96

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Jun 03 2014, 19:51

You can do daily/weekly shops but i found it's cheaper to buy in bulk (I have a small chest freezer under the stairs that holds about 3 months food - you can pick them up on freecycle or cheap on eBay etc if you are lucky) and defrost a couple of days at a time. I also found when I started off that P@H only have a delivery once a week and would also be out of their frozen mince which just made it awkward and more expensive to get supplies from a supermarket.

Eg. I order from DAF (they deliver frozen) their mince is in 400-500g portions and that is a days food for Ledgers weight
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jun 03 2014, 20:17

Have a read of these  Smile 

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/raw_faq

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/barf_and_raw_diets

I wouldn't mix kibble and raw you can only feed them a different time it will be more hassle than just going full raw  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Fri Jun 06 2014, 22:58

I would changet to raw alone as well. We found that Bane really toned up after the change as he was a little scrawny to start with!

We too order in bulk online (from DAF) and keep everything in the freezer. When I am preparing meals, I defrost all the packs of mince and meat I need, seperate and weigh out the different meals, add offal and any extras and then bag the portions up, squeeze it all together into a sausage type shape and pop them back in the freezer. I ususally make up about 9 meals at a time and it takes about 15 minutes.
When I then need to feed I grab a frozen pack of meat/mince and then a boney something or an egg or a fish. There is no smell and no mess Smile
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down