Buster is booked in for the snip :-)

+3
janey
niff
rosie2011
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Buster is booked in for the snip :-) Empty Buster is booked in for the snip :-)

Post by rosie2011 Sat Jun 04 2011, 09:54

Morning folks

i have now booked buster in for the snip he is going next friday morning i know a few peeps think he is a little young at 9 months but i feel its best although i have only had him just under 2 weeks he is very highly sexed Surprised

walks are a nightmare he trys to bonk every female one actually sat on her bottom and refused to get up on our last walk the owner had to carry her home Blushing

and peoples legs are getting very unsafe too Blushing

i even caught him trying to sort himself out yesterday morning if u get me !! thankgod he can't bend that far Surprised

so all in all i do think its time Smile

im hoping his frustration will be done with then Big Grin
rosie2011
rosie2011
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Buster is booked in for the snip :-) Empty Re: Buster is booked in for the snip :-)

Post by niff Sat Jun 04 2011, 10:09

owner of one of my two's pups was on phone to me last night telling me mini had juust been and got dressed and was recovering well , she is 7 months .

good luck with op Big Grin
niff
niff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shady & Dakota
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Buster is booked in for the snip :-) Empty Re: Buster is booked in for the snip :-)

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 11:47

neutering will not fix these things you are talking about, neutering will stop the testosterone which is causing it which will make it easier for you to train him, but its not going to stop the mounting/humping you will have to train that out of him

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 11:50

It really is a hot topic here, everyone has different opinions. I personally wil not neuter Charlie til he is about 18 months but thats just my take on it. You know your dog best and if you feel it's the right time, thats all that matters. Good luck, hope he recovers well Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jun 04 2011, 11:54

Good luck with the op Buster will be fine x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 12:30

I had Samson snipped at 9 months it was fine best done early and if he's not going to be bred he doesn't them, and it has health benefits as well

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Sat Jun 04 2011, 13:08

MissRogue wrote:neutering will not fix these things you are talking about, neutering will stop the testosterone which is causing it which will make it easier for you to train him, but its not going to stop the mounting/humping you will have to train that out of him

i have to disagree with you here , there is every chance that it might stop the problems , but no garuntee that it will
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 13:22

niff wrote:
MissRogue wrote:neutering will not fix these things you are talking about, neutering will stop the testosterone which is causing it which will make it easier for you to train him, but its not going to stop the mounting/humping you will have to train that out of him

i have to disagree with you here , there is every chance that it might stop the problems , but no garuntee that it will

I have to agree with Niff here cos my nan had her dog done at 2yrs cos nothing was safe from his humping ways (including my kids if they sat down!!) and he stopped it a few weeks after pretty much over night so it sometimes can be a "quick fix"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 13:27

good luck with the op

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sat Jun 04 2011, 13:54

many thanks for your comments folks i knew a few would'nt agree and thats fair but for me i feel i am doing the correct thing i would hate buster to mount my 6 yr old and scare him to death ,

buster is my 3rd staff and i have a bit of experiance not as much as some tho and after talking to staffy owners one having them over 40 yrs he has told me it will help with him wanting to mount and bonking other dogs so im willing to give it a go,

im not breeding from him anways as staffys are too over bred which is how we come across buster and i don't want to put this stunning breed thro more unwanted staffs Crying or Very sad
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 16:22

be a brave boy Buster !!
Jethro was done at 6 months.. he is now a happy and healthy 12 year old.. it is only a simple op for a boy...

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sat Jun 04 2011, 16:47

vanessa wrote:
be a brave boy Buster !!
Jethro was done at 6 months.. he is now a happy and healthy 12 year old.. it is only a simple op for a boy...

thanks for that :-) x
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Sat Jun 04 2011, 17:06

you say that but by god i would'nt like to be de-bollocked lmao
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sat Jun 04 2011, 19:30

niff wrote:you say that but by god i would'nt like to be de-bollocked lmao

PMSL
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 19:47

I'm sorry but neutering for behaviour problems is just plan laziness,
All these things like mounting and humping can be taken care of without neutering, but it would be "easier" if the dog does not have all that testosterone, Neutering is not a quick fix and its a operation whether its serious or not if there was no risk the vet wouldn't have you sign the piece of paper saying "if anything goes wrong you will not blame them", thats why it shouldn't be taken lightly for a quick fix.
I absolutly agree with neutering on the part of no unwanted litters but not for behavioural.
Neutering doesn't stop a dog from wanting to mount and hump. A male will still hump a b*tch and even knot if they wish too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 21:32

Its not laziness. I know many people who have found it difficult to deal with humping and have neutered their dog and found life much easier. Lisa also has her son to think of like she said. You can't brand someone as lazy without knowing the situation. And better to have him neutered rather than dumped into rescue which is what alot of people do

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Jun 04 2011, 23:46

If you are not going to breed your dog then why not neuter them Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05 2011, 00:36

As always, this is a 'hot' topic.

Neutering will not always stop humping, but may lessen it enough to be able to train easier. Humping is often purely a dominance thing, and dominance is in the 'nature' of a dog. However, the testosterone will increase the levels of dominance, and so neutering may help. Just be aware that it may not, and it isn't a quick fix. You will probably still need to train him not to do it.

However, if that's your decision, then I'm sure you've entered into it knowing the pros & cons & will do your best for your dog.

So good luck with the operation, and I'm sure he'll be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sun Jun 05 2011, 12:02

I must state that i am not been lazy in not training buster after alot of research and talking to my vet on 2 occasions they do agree with having buster done ,
yes it may not make him stop humping everything that moves but the lack of
testosterone will ease the need to.
he may hump after Rolling Eyes and i don't expect him not to he is a male dog after all !

also it decreases health issues by having him done ,

2 yrs ago i nearly lost my last staffy rosie through pyometra which if she had of been spayed by the so called pervious owners who i call * holes that dumped her on a main road she would'nt of had to of suffer like she did and trust me she just about pulled through the emergancy surgery .........yet again another reason for having buster done

im not sure if im allowed to do this but will anyways as it might just explain a little more and give a full insight of reasons behind spaying and neutered not saying that you don't know already but theres always a little more to learn (for me anyway)

http://www.askvetadvice.com/medical-reasons-for-neutering-or-spaying-your-pet/

don't get me wrong its everybodys choice in what they do with there babys but for me nearly loosing rosie through not been spayed opened my eyes
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sun Jun 05 2011, 12:04

Marty wrote:I had Samson snipped at 9 months it was fine best done early and if he's not going to be bred he doesn't them, and it has health benefits as well

my thoughts as well good for you Big Grin
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Sun Jun 05 2011, 13:47

im actually pretty luck in shady has a fine working pair and doesn't hump anyone . but he does give me funny looks when dakota trys to hump him lol
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sun Jun 05 2011, 13:52

niff wrote:im actually pretty luck in shady has a fine working pair and doesn't hump anyone . but he does give me funny looks when dakota trys to hump him lol

lol

apart from the humping im doing it for health reasons too Smile
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Sun Jun 05 2011, 13:53

yeh mate , im mulling over having these two done now aswell .
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05 2011, 16:17

I had Ty done at 6 months and Kaos at 7 and both were absolutley fine as im sure your little man will be. If it helps i think ur doing exactly the right and responsible thing Big Grin well done x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05 2011, 17:00

vanessa wrote:
be a brave boy Buster !!
Same with Vinnie Smile .. his 10months now and alot less in youre face! haha .. And skye will be neutered when shes old enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sun Jun 05 2011, 17:13

Hi I found this really useful, thought I'd share Smile x
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Buster is booked in for the snip :-) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sun Jun 05 2011, 17:13

der forgot the link lmao!! http://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05 2011, 18:16

rosie2011 wrote:I must state that i am not been lazy in not training buster after alot of research and talking to my vet on 2 occasions they do agree with having buster done ,
yes it may not make him stop humping everything that moves but the lack of
testosterone will ease the need to.
he may hump after Rolling Eyes and i don't expect him not to he is a male dog after all !

also it decreases health issues by having him done ,

2 yrs ago i nearly lost my last staffy rosie through pyometra which if she had of been spayed by the so called pervious owners who i call * holes that dumped her on a main road she would'nt of had to of suffer like she did and trust me she just about pulled through the emergancy surgery .........yet again another reason for having buster done

im not sure if im allowed to do this but will anyways as it might just explain a little more and give a full insight of reasons behind spaying and neutered not saying that you don't know already but theres always a little more to learn (for me anyway)

http://www.askvetadvice.com/medical-reasons-for-neutering-or-spaying-your-pet/

don't get me wrong its everybodys choice in what they do with there babys but for me nearly loosing rosie through not been spayed opened my eyes

I totally agree with having them neutered and spayed for unwanted pups and health, but no behavioural.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05 2011, 22:03

ardvark wrote:der forgot the link lmao!! http://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml

I found that site to be very helpful & informative. This is the bit that I think hits the nail on the head.........

When should we spay and castrate?

With regard to castration, I believe that males should not be castrated until they have been cocking their leg for at least one month, and should be at least 10 to 27 months of age (depending on size and breed). The larger the breed then the later they mature,. therefore something like a German Shepherd would be much later than the 10 months stated. Probably more like 17 months. Unless of course there are medical or serious behavioural issues to take into consideration.

In females, I believe that they should have at least one season; but preferably two, then wait approximately 3 months after the season before considering spaying, allowing the internal organs to settle down after the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05 2011, 22:08

Charlie still hasn't cocked his leg yet but then he hasn't seen any other males do it either so prob doesn't have a clue that he can!!

As said before, I'm going to wait until Charlie is about 18 months old, then get him done. I've looked at the pros and cons of having him done earlier/later, and think that I'd rather wait until he's matured, although I certainly don't think there is anything wring with getting it done earlier - just personal preference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 08:49

Caryll wrote:
ardvark wrote:der forgot the link lmao!! http://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml

I found that site to be very helpful & informative. This is the bit that I think hits the nail on the head.........

When should we spay and castrate?

With regard to castration, I believe that males should not be castrated until they have been cocking their leg for at least one month, and should be at least 10 to 27 months of age (depending on size and breed). The larger the breed then the later they mature,. therefore something like a German Shepherd would be much later than the 10 months stated. Probably more like 17 months. Unless of course there are medical or serious behavioural issues to take into consideration.

In females, I believe that they should have at least one season; but preferably two, then wait approximately 3 months after the season before considering spaying, allowing the internal organs to settle down after the season.

well written, who is it written by? Again its only another opinion and i could find a written quote by a professional to state earlier the better im sure, still its up 2 the owner. I think in the case of the OP shes doing the right thing, like i mean who wants a big lump of staff trying to hump there dogs and legs when out on a walk lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 12:57

niff wrote:you say that but by god i would'nt like to be de-bollocked lmao

he's never missed what he's never had !! Laughing .. ( at least I don't think he has !! Big Grin )

Back to top Go down

Post by chez Mon Jun 06 2011, 13:24

Ace had the snip @5mths as he was a rescue pup and alos his balls had dropped so the vets said they would do it... x
chez
chez

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ace

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Mon Jun 06 2011, 19:51

Of course it's up to the owners I am not suggesting otherwise but it needs to be an informed decision right? Not just because so and so did it an x and the vet said do it to at x months/years of age. We have different opinions and so do vets and dr.s what one will say as a course of treatment/action will not necessarily be the same in the vets the other side of town.

I have read around this subject recently and I'm looking at it from a hormonal point of view. Hormones are so important to us all as mammals, they affect so many areas of our life physical and emotional. I just simply thought I'd share what I had found useful in the hopes it might be useful to others who might also be interested, follow the link and read it.

It seems staffs mature at around 18 months so for us it seems logical to do it around then if at all, but that's us and our take on things, simple as! I'm sure we all here make the decisions we deem best for our animals, we love them like family after all. Incidently a vet told us to neuter Milo at 6 months before he got dominant Rolling Eyes
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 12:36

ardvark wrote: Incidently a vet told us to neuter Milo at 6 months before he got dominant Rolling Eyes

That would've been no good for us, Dempsey was dominant from the day we got him at 7 weeks & 1 day! And the breeders told us that, although he was the smallest of the litter (bad start - couldn't suckle) he constantly bullied the rest of his siblings!

Every time Dempsey misbehaves, I tell him he's going to lose his male acoutrements, but does he listen? Does he f***!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Tue Jun 07 2011, 16:08

So if i was to get a pup from the rescue, they have them done before they rehome them, does this mean the dog will not reach its full size? abit confused

slick
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 16:18

xIt depends on the age of the dog i got Ty at 6 months and his testicles hadnt fully desended yet (any vet will only netuer once they have decended) so we adopted him entire and took him back a few weeks later to have him done (at the rescues cost) when they had dropped. If u rescue a smaller pup they will not be done yet but it may state in ur adopting contract that they need to be done when they are old enough or it may not. I can assure u both my boys where done at 6 and 7 months and they in no way have be stunted growth wise or in any other way.... Big Grin x

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Tue Jun 07 2011, 16:28

blaze wrote: xIt depends on the age of the dog i got Ty at 6 months and his testicles hadnt fully desended yet (any vet will only netuer once they have decended) so we adopted him entire and took him back a few weeks later to have him done (at the rescues cost) when they had dropped. If u rescue a smaller pup they will not be done yet but it may state in ur adopting contract that they need to be done when they are old enough or it may not. I can assure u both my boys where done at 6 and 7 months and they in no way have be stunted growth wise or in any other way.... Big Grin x

thanks, that makes sence i didnt know this.

slick

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Jun 07 2011, 22:40

Mmmmm after reading the lincs im feeling like a bad mummy!!!!!!
My girl more or less told me she wanted to be done she was neutered at 3 years and changed so much after by gaining weight and so nervous she was never like that before.
The dog I could never let him leave this life without re-producing, I realise that the rescues are full to bursting and I feel so sorry for them dogs but breeding from him has been done responsibly I would only neuter him for health reasons Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2011, 22:42

Ah, but your boy has an awful lot to offer the breed, gem.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Jun 07 2011, 23:04

Caryll wrote:Ah, but your boy has an awful lot to offer the breed, gem.
I still feel for the poor poor dogs in rescue and one day I will give something back and rescue/foster I promice Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sat Jun 11 2011, 09:40

morning all

just a quick update

buster had his veg removed yesterday and is doing great Smile
the vet was really pleased with him we are going back on monday for a check up.

thanks for all your coms and views Big Grin
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sat Jun 11 2011, 09:52

oh and i forgot to add that they found an infection inside his veg which he is been treated for with antibiotics now , the vet said if we had'nt of had buster done they would'nt of found it and it may of caused other probs

so all in all i did the right thing for my little lad Smile

and i must say he is either still drugged up or so chilled its unreal he is'nt even barking at the birdies in the garden now !!! lol
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11 2011, 14:04

aww bless him !!

what a brave boy ! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11 2011, 14:55

Aw well done Buster.

It's a good job you had him done, it would've been a nightmare if the infection had spread and caused other problems.

I hope he continues recovering well Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sat Jun 11 2011, 18:31

Big Grin pleased all went well and let's hope (or not) he's woofing at the birdies real soon! xx
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jun 11 2011, 22:10

Great stuff, big brave boy! Relish the quiet boy cause he'll be up to mischeief in know time! XxXx good luck for the next few days in keeping him quiet Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11 2011, 22:17

janey wrote:Great stuff, big brave boy! Relish the quiet boy cause he'll be up to mischeief in know time! XxXx good luck for the next few days in keeping him quiet Smile

Not possible with a staff Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sun Jun 12 2011, 06:36

Thanks for your get well messages buster is doin great he was doin his normal superdog in the garden yesterday i had to bring him in incase he hurt himself Surprised

The vet asked if buster was a full staffy cus he has a long face confused (young vet) so i said his mum and dad are full staffs so yes i should think so !

so she said oh! just looks like he has something else in him , so i said well when he grows up he will prob fill out and the vet said grow up Surprised

i said yes he is only 9 months old the vet said bloody hell he is big for his age as she thought he was fully grown the half soaked sod i thought she may have read his notes before me coming in confused had to double check with her that she knew what he was coming in for Big Grin
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sun Jun 12 2011, 11:52

[img]Buster is booked in for the snip :-) DSC00457[/img]

buster snoozing Big Grin
rosie2011
rosie2011

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next