+3
11alan111
janey
rez221
7 posters

Go down

Surprised Castration?

Post by rez221 Tue May 27 2014, 23:10

Hi every1 pooches and people hope ur ok. Any thoughts on castration my vet is doing my head in about it sayin I should get it done before 6 months dnt think I could do it to him any thoughts people pros an cons etc. I know medically its better as my ex had a beautiful boy she rescued off the street and he passed away though cancer which is prob why he had been dumped RIP Jack Dog
rez221
rez221
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 13 month
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Surprised Re: Castration?

Post by janey Tue May 27 2014, 23:32

Very mixed opinions. I have never had a male - had a really bad experience with an in tact male when Moo was in season and the stupid owner had it off lead.

I guess the general consensus is 2/3 years, but I would suggest that you are very responsible whilst they are in tact and on lead at all times.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by rez221 Wed May 28 2014, 00:33

Wat happened janey if u don't mind babe x
rez221
rez221

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 28 2014, 00:46

Moo was in season, she had to be walked as I don't have a garden, took her to the park at a pretty unsociable hour - it was raining and we stuck to the path. A rather large male dog took interest in her off lead and no owner in sight, her being in season was up for it. The only thing I could do was try and run with her, shouted for the owner but to no avail, it was very difficult as she didn't want to, so tried to carry her, could not get the male away- thankfully a council worker drove by and clocked what was happening - bundled me and Moo into the van and took the male dog back to its owner and gave them a 'polite' telling off for the being basically out of control.

I was quick thinking - and maybe unfortunate but was very scary. Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by 11alan111 Wed May 28 2014, 16:42

my last staffy (duke) i had him at 7 weeks and he was 12 when he left me,the vet kept saying about having him done but my theory was why should he be done he hasnt done anything wrong.i had him 12 years and never had a problem and to be honest he still looked manly.

11alan111
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tyler
Dog(s) Ages : 6weeks
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by freyj4z Mon Jun 02 2014, 09:56

I'm going to castrate loki at around 1 year, just because my vet recommended It at that age, and we decided we didn't wanna take any.chances, and my.friend has an female that hasn't been.done.
freyj4z
freyj4z

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Loki
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Support total : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02 2014, 15:38

Generally 18/24 months is a good time. I have been over and over this time and time again, shall I get Vin done or no. Well decided not to if it aint broke dont fix it. As Janey says of her experience I am always aware and a sensible owner of he goes on lead unless its middle of the woods where no one is around. He is 3 in August and no probs at all with hm. Tbh I dont think he knows what it is for lol! xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Mon Jun 02 2014, 22:47

My opinion would be to get them off. I don't know when is the best time to get it done but get it done. You've obviously looked into the health reasons and if you're not a breeder why keep them? I hope I'm not over stepping the line here but before we got Floyd done he had quite a lot of discharge, probably from them not getting used, that would manage to transfer to all sorts of places around the home. Trouser leg, front of the couch from when he did the cute thing of standing on his back legs for a head rub when you're watching tv , the rug when he was lying frog legged you name it! So yeah, I say get em off! And then that way you'll never feel the wrath of a lady put in Janeys position.
Pete
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02 2014, 23:07

Lynn&Pete wrote:My opinion would be to get them off. I don't know when is the best time to get it done but get it done. You've obviously looked into the health reasons and if you're not a breeder why keep them? I hope I'm not over stepping the line here but before we got Floyd done he had quite a lot of discharge, probably from them not getting used, that would manage to transfer to all sorts of places around the home. Trouser leg, front of the couch from when he did the cute thing of standing on his back legs for a head rub when you're watching tv , the rug when he was lying frog legged you name it! So yeah, I say get em off! And then that way you'll never feel the wrath of a lady put in Janeys position.
Pete
I am not ever intending to use Vinnie for breeding and feel the " get them off" comment a tad harsh. Its all about responsible ownership, which is upmost in my priorities. I wish the "get them off" philosophy was also guided towards those of not the animal form.

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Mon Jun 02 2014, 23:49

I had Snoop for 12 years and breeding never crossed my mind. I`m going to be honest i never thought about getting him done

Lula my first girl and i`m already worried about her first season. I don`t want any slip up and ending up with puppies. I`m trying to decided when it be the best time for her to get done
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by rez221 Tue Jun 03 2014, 00:59

Thanks guys im a very responsible owner my puppy is always on the lead unless im in a enclosed area even with our roxy got her spayed at 18 month don't think shed ever been walked wen we got her. First time I met her I * myself she came charging at me like a bull in a china shop lmao shes over 3 and a half now nicest dog u could ever meet seriously she is so soppy it calmed her down but she still acts like a puppy its like shes frozen in time. Iv always heard with males its different it takes away there personality an I wudnt wanna take his personality away for the world. Iv met dogs who have been castrated an sorry if I offend any1 dnt mean to, they seem like zombies just lookin str8 no smile no play no paw nothing. My Vet asked me am I gunna breed him I sed no not thinking of it hes my pet she sed gotta get him done by 6 month, is there a reason y 6 month I sed let me c how he grows up temperament etc then I might consider it if hes out of control am I bein selfish?
rez221
rez221

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Tue Jun 03 2014, 10:41

Sorry if my terminology offended anyone.
We had Floyd done when he was about 2.5 and it never changed him. Most people took him for being at least half his age right up till the day we lost him so I don't think it zombiefies dogs. We never had to chase him to pull him off bitch in heat and he was never limited to where he could and couldn't be off lead, once we were away from roads. He mixed with many breeds and never even tried to play mount anything which is an action I've seen start many a fight. We've all heard stories of dogs clearing huge fences when they get a scent of a bitch, or pulling people to the ground or even snapping leads.
The only reason I can think of to not get them done is that it removes the danger of going under a GA.
Pete.
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jun 03 2014, 11:53

What ever route you decide to go down 6 months is too young. wait until at least a year and then re-evaluate the situation then.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down