New pup

5 posters

Go down

New pup Empty New pup

Post by klair Thu May 15 2014, 09:27

I have 3 cats and have just got a 10wk old staff. Am apprehensive that she might become aggressive when a little older. Am training her but need advice from members who are in a multipet household and those who know this breed.  Straight Face 

klair
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New pup Empty Re: New pup

Post by Rachel33 Thu May 15 2014, 09:39

Hello! Congrats on the new pup Smile Why are you concerned that she may become aggressive? Have you ever kept dogs of this breed type before?

Whether she will become aggressive/over boisterous with the cat will depend on you mostly.. Did you spend any time with her dog parents and get to know their temperaments? Or ask any questions about if they tolerate other animals in the house/their prey drive? How is she with the cat at the moment?

Most dogs will chase because of their prey drive/because they find it fun or think it's a game. Providing that you train her adequately and ensure that she doesn't see the cat as a play thing you'll be on the right track. Many dog owners will say that the dog is fine with cats when they're stationary, but if they run they will take chase.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by klair Thu May 15 2014, 09:51

Hi still trying to work out this site. We adopted her from the blue cross. She was born there. I have met the mother an she is adorable. The cat im most concerned with is my tabbie alfie. He has swiped her and follows her everywhere. I am training her and she is brilliant. We only got her Tuesday. I have owned dogs b4 and they were bull mastiffs but I didn't have any cats. Am feeling a little overwhelmed at the mo.

klair

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu May 15 2014, 12:39

No problem Smile we have an introduction area, can't link to it at the moment as I'm on my phone, but would be great if you could write a new thread in there!

Ah okay that's good, was the mum quite calm in personality or very bouncy? Do they have any idea which breed the dad was? Cats are usually top of the pecking order if they're confident enough, my dad always had lurchers and cats living together and the cat often swiped them, they'd soon back off and it definitely taught them manners! It certainly helps that they're being brought up together.

You'll probably find she's a bit more active than the bull mastiffs, staffies can be very cheeky and generally love nothing more than playing! Aw no, sorry to hear you're feeling a bit overwhelmed! Pups can be a bit of a whirlwind but lots of members on here have has dogs from pups and can offer a wealth of advice. There are a few members with cats too, I'm sure they'll be along to offer advice when they come online!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu May 15 2014, 22:00

I'm sure as she adjusts to your household and settles with them they will begin to get used to each other.

My parents staff Domino grew up with their cat who at first would run away from him as he would want to play and play very boistrously. She has now learnt that if she doesn't run he doesn't chase.
My parents then took in another cat from a friend who is not so accepting of living with a dog. The cat runs anytime he sees Domino and hence he will chase but if they meet and the cat can't escape, the cat will always swipe and Domino just backs off. Two completely different relationships and he has never shown aggression to either Smile

Bane has also met them a few times now and is very good with the first one...hasn't quite learnt to stay away from the swipey one! Laughing
I'm sure with you there to monitor them, they will be fine!
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri May 16 2014, 04:22

I think you will find that your cats will be just fine and most likely put your new pup in its place. My brother has 2 staffs with a cat and the dogs quickly learnt who was boss LOL Also one of our past dogs (Not staffy but a Dogo who absolutely hated cats) quickly learnt to live with a cat when he was in his later years. He quickly learned that cats are NOT to be messed with and they quickly developed a truce. Best buddies - not on your life and there was no way that you would ever see them cuddling up with each other, but the cat was in no danger once our boy figured out the "rules" Big Grin

I think you will be just fine especially as he is the young one and will grow up with them around.

djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by saffi28 Mon May 19 2014, 10:38

Smile I have two cats in a household with two staffies.   You have the advantage of introducing a youngster - she will soon get used to who is boss I am sure.   I wouldn't leave them on their own together for a while though in case the pup gets scratched.   Maisey was no problem, introduced as a 7W pup.  Roxie was introduced as a very boisterous 8M old.  It did take a little time and lots of careful introduction and training but now all animals co-habit - no snuggling, just respect.

One thing I would say ensure the cats have somewhere they feel is their own.   Both my cats have their baskets and food bowls out of the reach of the dogs (we had to put a work top up in the utility room specially).  They need to be able to go somewhere where they feel secure and where they food won't be gobbled up.   Honestly, staffi pups are just so full of mischief and energy but they do learn quickly and they are the sort of dog who is very loyal to the family, and this will include your cats.   This won't be the case necessarily when they are out, however, anything that moves is pretty much fair game  Blushing
saffi28
saffi28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie (Rocker Dog) and Maisey
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 5 and a half
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down