Help needed

3 posters

Go down

Help needed Empty Help needed

Post by natalie-matt Sun May 11 2014, 08:52

Hi All,

I have a 2 1/2 year old female staff and I am struggling with her. When we got her she was a very timid 9 month old pup with severe seperation anxiety. It took about a month for her to settle in our home. She came with no papers or history due to us resueing her from a family who were ill treating her. She went through major destruction time destroying furniture, anything wooden etc. This has since stopped however she has got worse over the year in relation to her anxieties to the point where if she can't see me even though im in the same house she becomes very distressed. I have tried a babygate but she hurts herselfs to get ovet it, she cried outside of my bedroom last night for 7 hours and today she is that exhausted from it all shes sound asleep next to me. She also will not have a wee or poo outside whilst its cold or raining. That to too the point where i've stood in the rain for 2 hours and she wpuld not go, 5 mins inside and she poos on the floor when i go in another room. I have looked a books and tried perserverence techniques but it gets to the point whete she is in serious distress. Any help is greatly appreciated and I can't continue like this. Thank you

natalie-matt
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help needed Empty Re: Help needed

Post by Sazzle Sun May 11 2014, 11:04

Oh dear bless her, firstly what is she fed and how much exercise does she get?

with the separation anxiety can you start by getting her to sit and stay, take a step back then go back to her and give a treat, praise or both. Gradually increase the number of steps back one at a time, then you will leave the room, at first only go out of her sight for a second and then start to build this up. Hopefully this will help. Obviously it's not a quick fix, there isn't really one but with time and patience she should improve.

Is she ever left for long periods? When you leave her do you leave her with a stuffed kong or anything else to keep her occupied?

Is she crate trained? If so perhaps a crate in your bedroom would help at night?

In regards to the rain, Daisy was the same, we would go for a walk and then she'd poo inside! Do you use a toilet phrase?

Sorry a lot of questions but it will help us to understand the situation better   Smile 

Welcome to the forum by the way , pop and say hi here when you get chance  Smile 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by natalie-matt Sun May 11 2014, 11:32

Hi, thank you.

Yes she is crate trained and unfortunalty she is in the houae during the day as I work full time. She has toys and bones and teats to keep her going. Ai even leave the tv and lights on. She has full use of the downstairs and recently ive kept the baby gate open and she goes to lie on the spare bed. When I come home I can't pee in peace lol but if I get a bath she comes in and then goes and play. At night its harder as she wants to sleep right next to me which can't continue.

i took her to be groomed once and she did really well but got distressed about the water but only wimpered and cried no barking. She rarely barks.

For exercise we go for walks and we have an private back I share with neighbours that she runs around.

I am aware that she does spend too much time on her own but the alternative for her at the time was worse so ai rescued her from that. Shes put on weight and is healthy weight with a good coat now but I recon she had pups on her first cycle so before we got her and they were taken away.

Thanks for any advice. I am wanting to look at whats best for her not us xx

natalie-matt

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun May 11 2014, 16:16

Ok, how long are her walks? Staffs need at least 2 45 min walks a day, not just for the physical exercise but also the mental stimulation.

Which brand of food do you feed? Some cheaper brands contain additives that can affect their behaviour.
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Sat May 17 2014, 00:18

can u find a good dog walker that can come in during day to take her for a walk? first port of call would be a training class for both of you, your aniexty will rub off on her so will make matters worse! a good training class will help and should be able to recommend a good dog walker, sitter for u both! my dogs follow me everywhere chester esp stairgates r a good tool so r kongs chews and persistance! willow hates the rain the dark new places the cold etc etc but ive learnt she looks to me for reassurance and i encourage her to do all these things but dont make to much fuss about doing them (if u make an issue of it, then it becomes an issue, if u get what i mean) willow came out of her shell when we got another dog (not recommending) my 2 get a denta stix b4 i go to work in morn and cant wait to get rid of me for it! can u get anyone to help?
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help needed Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down