Not so great today

4 posters

Go down

Not so great today Empty Not so great today

Post by flowerbud Wed Apr 30 2014, 18:44

So met my friend and Bob the dog with Alfie again today. Again walked them parallel but not too near each other.
Firstly Alfie ripped his nose to bits trying to get the muzzle off, been getting him used to it at home for the last month before using it, but he just hates things on his face. He scratches his nose and makes it bleed with his Halti too, but as no lead it attached/pulling on the muzzle itself, I thought he wouldn't mind it as much, but not the case.

As Bob went ahead slightly, about halfway in, I let Alfie get a bit closer as its head on that he normally snaps. Well he tried to bite his bum! Luckily with the muzzle on he just butted him, but he didn't attempt to smell him, or make any noise just straight for a bite.  Sad  As my friend said its only the second time of us going out, but its worrying that this was the rear of a calm friendly dog that was in effect walking harmlessly away from him. I told my friend what he had done as both her and Bob hadn't noticed as he was quiet and did no harm this time. We then continued on as before. Cant meet again until Thursday next week.
flowerbud
flowerbud
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Not so great today Empty Re: Not so great today

Post by janey Wed Apr 30 2014, 18:54

Maybe too much too soon, get them used to it first - shame its not a more regular thing Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Wed Apr 30 2014, 19:08

After next week we will hopefully manage 3 times a week. I actually only know her as our old dogs used to walk and play off lead together. Then when we lost them both, I would sometimes bump into her with her then new golden retriever pup (now 2yrs). Started seeing her a bit more now I've got another dog, but we both have different things on obviously, so its just when we can get together.
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30 2014, 19:12

Perhaps like janey said it was a bit much for him hopefully he'll be better once it's more often xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu May 01 2014, 22:47

Yeah it may just take some time Smile It's probably quite stressful for him anyway as he has to wear the muzzle, but you have someone there who is willing to help and try so just keep at it!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri May 02 2014, 10:04

Oh no! Maybe too much too soon, Biscuit never bit Jed (my friend's lab) but the first few walks she was threatening to if he got to close. What about a smaller dog? Although Biscuit can play with the bigger dogs, she noticeably relaxes around smaller dogs and has never shown aggression to smaller dog when introduced properly. May be that he's bigger than him!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Fri May 02 2014, 14:13

To be honest he seems the same with any size dog, no warning just silently goes for them. Don't know any small reliable dogs to go out with either. He is so stressed with having the muzzle on too.

He is pulling so much on normal walks alone, he hates his Halti, scratching his nose, clawing at it, yet cant grasp the fact if he stops pulling there's no pressure. We are not enjoying our walks as its such hard work with him. Bless him he gets excited and asks to go out when it's time, but then is so stressed and intent on marching when we are out. He cannot wait to get back in our gate.
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Fri May 02 2014, 21:02

You would think that they would learn after the first time or two, I really hope you can work something out so it's nicer for both you and him!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat May 03 2014, 21:48

Hm, if he's hating the muzzle that much too you probably don't want to make a bad association with the muzzle/other dog. Does he go for them when they're just walking parallel? Or only when there's interaction (the sniff?)

When mixing Sophie (american bull dog) and Red (EBT) we actually had to walk them for 6 weeks before a single sniff... neither were muzzled, but we weren't letting them anywhere near each other. They were on the outside of either of us and we were about a metre apart, they were just in the same vicinity.

Have you tried one of the harnesses with the D ring on the front of the harness, instead of the halti for walking? Not as much control, but have heard good things for pulling. Can understand why you're not enjoying them, I dreaded walking Bis for the first year!!

I wonder what he would be like muzzled and off lead (not saying you should do this, but it would be interesting to know!) Biscuit is so much better off lead with other dogs. He does sound very stressy, I'm sure i've asked before but remind me, is there anywhere near you that you could walk him with nobody else about?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Sun May 04 2014, 07:23

Bane wrote:You would think that they would learn after the first time or two, I really hope you can work something out so it's nicer for both you and him!
Thanks Emma

Rachel33 wrote:Hm, if he's hating the muzzle that much too you probably don't want to make a bad association with the muzzle/other dog. Does he go for them when they're just walking parallel? Or only when there's interaction (the sniff?)

When mixing Sophie (american bull dog) and Red (EBT) we actually had to walk them for 6 weeks before a single sniff... neither were muzzled, but we weren't letting them anywhere near each other. They were on the outside of either of us and we were about a metre apart, they were just in the same vicinity.

Have you tried one of the harnesses with the D ring on the front of the harness, instead of the halti for walking? Not as much control, but have heard good things for pulling. Can understand why you're not enjoying them, I dreaded walking Bis for the first year!!

I wonder what he would be like muzzled and off lead (not saying you should do this, but it would be interesting to know!) Biscuit is so much better off lead with other dogs. He does sound very stressy, I'm sure i've asked before but remind me, is there anywhere near you that you could walk him with nobody else about?

We had said about not using the muzzle for exactly as you said Rach, then he tried to bite his bum! Also the long term plan was to get Alfie on long lead and them to interact bit more, but would need muzzle then as can't risk someone's dog. So would we be stressing him out and associating him with it for those times? Ah it's so hard as I feel the muzzle isn't helping his stress for sure, but do not want Bob hurt or Alfie to have that attack experience.
No there is no where safe alone and he has no recall if any distractions. There is an area where my friend lets Bob off to play with his doggy friend which is fenced with 2 open access areas. In the very long term I was hoping this could be where we let them off (Alfie on long lead me holding, if all well maybe trailing on floor loose, but that long way off).
Wow 6 weeks, were both dogs da? Be interested to hear their story Rach. How we're they finally interacted?
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down