Staffs and cats...

2 posters

Go down

Staffs and cats... Empty Staffs and cats...

Post by Deverill Mon May 30 2011, 20:06

My staff that I used to have used to hunt cats down and she would chase them and grab them, she sustained quite a few Injurys from cats, such as trying to jump over a fence after one and getting Impaled on the fence. The screaming was horrendous.

She was older when we got her so all ready had that chasing cats behaviour in her.

Can you train a puppy to not chase cats? I have about 6 cats on my block and really rather she didn't chase them as I don't fancy dealing with the grief from neighbours nor do I want her to get hurt.

If you can train a pup not to chase cats then that's fab, would a pup automatically chase or is it something they learn? If you can train, what if the cats don't respond well to the pup I.e get their backs up and start hissing etc.

What do you do?

Deverill
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffs and cats... Empty Re: Staffs and cats...

Post by Night Crawler Mon May 30 2011, 20:18

I'm actually quite lucky with Prince. He was brought up with cats, so when we walk down the street, he just ignores them.
Had one yesterday sat right by an open gate. Literally 2 feet from Prince. He just looked and carried on walking Smile
Night Crawler
Night Crawler

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Prince & Star
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Deverill Mon May 30 2011, 20:22

I'd love for my dog to be like that.

I know dogs and cats can generally get along quite well in the same house if bought up together (I know that's not always the case), but I don't plan on ever getting a cat lol. So m stuck with using the neighbours cats for training lol.

Would it just be best just to leave pup be and say we walk past one of my neighbours cats and she does spot it to just say leave and carry on walking? Like not trying to pay too much attention to the fact it's a cat?

Deverill

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31 2011, 09:28

I would say intruduce him to as many cats as possible on lead on walks etc but first make sure he has a strong leave it command and he knows what NO means! Im lucky and have a very confident strong willed cat so when mine where little if they got to rough sugar would give them a hard slash with her claws across there nose. Its sounds horrid i no but they learnt VERY quickly lol. People are amazed when they see us coming home from a walk and the cat rushes up to greet the dogs and rubbs herself along the dogs and the dogs lick her lol. I was hard on the dogs as well though and they are very aware that the cat is obove them in the pecking order, which isnt obviously true but it keeps the cat safe lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down