Any suggestions

4 posters

Go down

Any suggestions  Empty Any suggestions

Post by Jeranna Thu Apr 24 2014, 03:06

Remy is 10 months old. I got him when he was 8 weeks old along with Emma who is the same age. They are both house broken. This is the problem, if Remy feels slighted or left behind, mad or anxious in anyway he will urinated all over the room. I let him go out first to potty and then my female and he is fine. If she goes outside first he will pee. If he goes first he waits patiently for her to come back with no problem. My hubby and I had a contractor come over we were talking on the porch the pups were together in the kitchen, I thought he would be fine bc they were together. I come in there is pee all over the room. I was outside 10 minutes. Remy is hanging his head and knows he should not have done it. I took my female to the mailbox (Remy hates car rides) he stays with the Hubby, hubby gets phone call and Remy pees all over the laundry room and up every step of the stairs. I was gone 5 minute. I don't know what to do or how to help him overcome this. Last night he got in the bed they both lay in and he just pees right in the middle if it. And he I did neuter him at 6 months. Any suggestions ???

Jeranna
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Remington (Remy) Emma and Myah
Dog(s) Ages : Both Remy and Emma 10 months and Myah 7 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Remy-Male, Emma and Myah Females
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Any suggestions  Empty Re: Any suggestions

Post by Rachel33 Thu Apr 24 2014, 07:29

Hiya. I have known of dogs neutered too young to have bladder problems for the rest of their lives, generally dogs shouldn't be neutered until at least 18 months to allow all hormonal, physical and mental development to take place. Though, this sounds like anxiety to me. My suggestion would be to work with the usual separation anxiety plan of leaving little and often, with something that he enjoys (a stuffed long for example) or a toy if he's not good oriented. But your relationship with him would need to be looked into also, to establish why he's so concerned about you leaving.

Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Thu Apr 24 2014, 11:05

If you know he's fine when he goes out to pee first, then why not always let him go out to pee first?

But you write as if the two pups get on well together. Why cant they be let out together? Why does there have to be a 'first'? (where you say 'let out', I assume you mean you're opening a door somehow, not taking them for a walk). Can you go out there with him? Can you praise him when he does the right thing in the right place?

How long does he have to wait between toilet breaks? I would look at upping the frequency. How early in the day is his first break? Could it be earlier? His needs may not be the same as the female's, despite being the same age.

Other things to consider are his diet and the (understandable) reaction he receives when he makes yet another mistake. If reaction is very stern/extreme, it risks damaging the trust relationship and his anxiety could make things worse.

Speaking personally, when my dog urinated in the house when I first got him (he did it maybe 2 or 3 times) I decided to show no reaction at all. Just quietly and kindly shut him into different part of house, cleaned up mess with an enzyme cleaner. This removes the smell so that he cant detect where the misdeed took place, reduces temptation to repeat. Different owners may have different methods; all I can say is that it worked in his case.

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Any suggestions  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu Apr 24 2014, 12:22

Rachel33 wrote:Hiya. I have known of dogs neutered too young to have bladder problems for the rest of their lives, generally dogs shouldn't be neutered until at least 18 months to allow all hormonal, physical and mental development to take place. Though, this sounds like anxiety to me. My suggestion would be to work with the usual separation anxiety plan of leaving little and often, with something that he enjoys (a stuffed long for example) or a toy if he's not good oriented. But your relationship with him would need to be looked into also, to establish why he's so concerned about you leaving.

Completly agree
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeranna Thu Apr 24 2014, 14:28

Let me clarify-I live on 4 Acres in the country, I take them out to potty on a leash separetly especially in the morinngs and for their last potty break when it is dark. 1- bc if they decided to chase something, or get scared of something in the area will run off and be gone on the acreage.2- We have alot of snakes,porcupine etc.. He goes out FIRST because I can not take them both at the same time like I could when they were little puppies. They go out for their 1st potty break at 7:00 in the morning. I work at home and live outside the city, I rarely live the house except to go to the store. I am with them all the time. Which maybe part of the problem when I get out of his site. He is praised all the time and told what a good boy he is. He is not spoken to harshly over his problem bc i recognize it is a problem. I took him to the VET and had him checked out he did not have a Bladder problem which I had thought he might have. It was ruled out and the VET felt he was probably marking- so he was nuetured. My 14 year old was nuetured early on and he did not have any negative side effects from it. They have regular potty breaks and yes Remy goes more then Emma.There are no accidents in the house except the for when Remy has these episodes. They are both let out to play in the back Area together several times a day, For short periods I live in South Texas so except for the 2 months of "winter" it is too HOT for them to be outside. We are already seeing 95 degrees. I have had dogs all my life and never had this problem. I had hoped maybe someone had experiened the same thing and had some helpful advise. My Children are grown and my Pups are my babies.

Jeranna

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Remington (Remy) Emma and Myah
Dog(s) Ages : Both Remy and Emma 10 months and Myah 7 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Remy-Male, Emma and Myah Females
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down