is my dog dog aggressive or just very excited

5 posters

Go down

is my dog dog aggressive or just very excited Empty is my dog dog aggressive or just very excited

Post by alibongo 83 Fri Apr 18 2014, 01:27

Hi, I have a nearly 2 year old male Staffie. We adopted him and he has been amazing. We tried to introduce him to my mum's dog the other day. He pulled a lot went to sniff his rear end and bit his leg. He is also very vocal to other dogs too. He can also ignore dogs sometimes. We were told he lived with 2 bitches in his last foster home with no problems. I have seen a video of him playing and he seemed a lot calmer I mean he wasn't nipping. I really want him to socialize and was wondering if I should put a mesh muzzle on him to see how he go's. I would love some help. I forgot to say I think it was more of a nip than a bite, but my mum's dog helped as it was his bad leg.

alibongo 83
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

is my dog dog aggressive or just very excited Empty Re: is my dog dog aggressive or just very excited

Post by Debs01 Fri Apr 18 2014, 07:55

Hey I just wanted to say if you are going to muzzle him don't use the mesh muzzles they don't allow your dog to pant the only muzzle you should use are the Baskerville muzzle it's very dog friendly and allows our dog to drink and pant and also take treats from you. Also if you are going to muzzle your dog you need to muzzle train him first over the period of about 3 weeks don't just stick one in him as it can cause problems. There is a training guide on here somewhere that will help and hopefully someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction Big Grin

As for the nipping it could be just excitement as staffies do play rough but I would be very careful about introductions to other dogs. When introducing axl to new dogs we walk him on lead with the dog a few times before we even think about letting them off together just to be absolutely sure they get on then when we so let them off play is cut to 5 mins at a time with a break between play just to keep play in control. It's very very easy for staffies to go overboard due to excitement.

Just be careful and take time to introduce, if he gets too rough stop play, let him calm down but always supervise Smile
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

is my dog dog aggressive or just very excited Empty Re: is my dog dog aggressive or just very excited

Post by JStaff Fri Apr 18 2014, 09:38

Here are some links that will help with understanding if behaviour is aggressive. Without a video it's really hard to advise.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/is_my_dog_aggressive

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dog_body_language

Take a look through the basics for new owners topics on the website as well. There's allot of great information there.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Fri Apr 18 2014, 13:59

staffy's do like to play hard and what can seem as aggressive play may not be,as has been said try taking them out for a walk together on neutral ground,start with keeping them on lead at first and see how they are,always keep a close eye on them .
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Apr 18 2014, 18:25

Hello! Smile Well done on the rescue!! Great advice above. I will add, some dogs can live wonderfully with others, but still be uncomfortable around unknown dogs on walks. My girl, Biscuit, can and has lived happily with other dogs after careful, slow introductions but is very reactive and fearfully aggressive towards all unknown dogs on walks. So, he may well have lived very happily with previous dogs that he saw as "family" but has had a bad experience or was never properly socialized with lots of different dogs.

This can be worked with, depending on the severity of the aggression if that is what it is and how it came about. My dog will never be comfortable around unknown dogs unfortunately, we manage this by walking her in areas where there are little to no other dogs and have trained her to focus or "watch me" when other dogs are passing. She's more comfortable off lead, than on, which can be quite common in aggressive or reactive dogs. I'd contact a trainer, personally, and get a professional opinion on the behaviour before you try to put a plan into place Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Apr 18 2014, 18:29

Oh, and with you mums dog if you try with them again I would recommend meetings with no interaction. So, parallel on lead walking for example, which allows them to be in eachothers company but isn't forcing anything. This is how I introduce Biscuit to all new dogs, I generally do this 2-3 times and then gage her behaviours; some dogs she's been happy to interact with on first meetings but others it has taken a little while longer.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by alibongo 83 Fri Apr 18 2014, 20:58

Thank you to everyone for all your advice. He went out today walked past a couple of dogs looked at them and was fine they were rather close as well. Another dog went past and he barked his playful bark but that was all. He is going out for a walk with my brother in laws Staffie tomorrow so I will let you all know how it goes. I really do think he is just very playful and goes a bit over the top.

alibongo 83

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by alibongo 83 Mon Apr 21 2014, 00:00

Well he has been out 2 times with my brother in laws Staffie bitch.  I really do think he is excited.  She isn't so friendly on the lead so after a few more times then hopefully they are going to meet off lead is there any tips/advice for when this happens.  I just don't want to do it incorrectly.

alibongo 83

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by alibongo 83 Thu Apr 24 2014, 00:36

Today after all the hard work trying to get my dog out with my brother in laws dog which seems to be going well, my dog got attacked walking past another dogs garden. He then bit the dogs mouth and didn't let go but we think he was stuck. It happened so fast that it shook me up. The owner of the other dog wasn't angry as he knows his dog is terrible. I'm not angry with him I'm just worried my dog might be put off other dogs now.

alibongo 83

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Apr 24 2014, 07:37

Hey! Sorry your other posts have been missed, what a nightmare! What breed was the other dog? May just be that he's worried around dogs of that breed type, but obviously if it's another staffie that may be a problem with your brother in law's dog! I'd be fuming! If the other guy knows his dog is aggressive then he should be always under control! Hope you're both alright x
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Apr 24 2014, 09:45

is my dog dog aggressive or just very excited 3198918699 Hope you are both okay. I can't understand why people let their dogs roam around if they are aggressive and the owner knows it... why don't they keep the dog in the back garden out of harm's way. People really annoy me!

I hope things are still going well with your brother in law's dog Smile
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by alibongo 83 Thu Apr 24 2014, 10:08

Well we can't go out today with her so I hope what happened yesterday will not have ruined it

alibongo 83

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down