hungry all the time

4 posters

Go down

hungry all the time Empty hungry all the time

Post by Nuala Mon Mar 10 2014, 16:58

Thistle seems to be constantly hungry, to the point now where she is getting aggressive and possessive with her cow hooves. She has one in the day when I'm out, and normally I don't have a problem, either taking it off her or walking over around by her. I gave her one last night after her tea, well a half chewed one, I was in the kitchen, she went into the living room with it, my friend then went into the living room and just stepped over her while she was chewing it, she promptly went for him, I told her to sit, and leave which she did, and I should have grabbed the hoof there and then but I hesitated, she had that 'look' in her eye, (I have been through food aggression with her when she was younger and thought I'd sorted it) so I went to the kitchen and just rattled the treat cupboard, she came in so I took her by the collar and put her in her crate, and she went for me. I let her out after 10 minutes and everything was fine. Now I know that having my friend there probably sparked off the behaviour and I should've been more confident dealing with it, she broke my skin when I put her in her crate, she just seems totally obsessed with food, even when we're out she has a single track mind, she's even started having a go at the cats when she's got a hoof or when it's teatime, she's never bothered with them before.......any advice :-( She has j.w.b with half tin sardines, the recommended amount for her age, lots of exercise and lots of mental and physical stimulation. Should I just cut out the treats, or leave her in her crate to eat them????
Nuala
Nuala
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Thistle
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

hungry all the time Empty Re: hungry all the time

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 10 2014, 18:40

How did you work with the possessiveness when it began? And she's up to date on worming and of a healthy weight?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Mon Mar 10 2014, 18:50

I followed advice on here, which worked, sat by her bowl with her and put some kibbles in my hand, she took from my hand, then from the bowl, had to wait etc, she will sit and wait for her tea until told and eats it no problem, no sign of aggression, she was fine when I got her at 8 weeks, did the usual, stroke her, moved the bowl etc, she got funny at about 4 months, so I managed that like i said, and she's been fine since, just lately with the hoof, her weight is spot on and she's been wormed.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 10 2014, 18:56

Hmm okay, sounds like you did it all right? And there are no children or dogs in the home that could have been inappropriate with food at any point? I always give Biscuit treats in her "place" and would never approach when she's eating just out of respect, Biscuit will do anything before growling at someone but even she growled at my other half for touching her hoof when she was eating it!

Does concern me that she bit immediately, though I wouldn't really recommend collar grabs, especially after showing aggression to someone else as she probably would have already been in a heightened state or arousal. Does she know "go to bed" or anything similar? I'd recommend a command next time rather than physical movement. Smile how old is she now? Think she could be pushing boundaries?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Mon Mar 10 2014, 19:43

Thanks for the response, she's 11 months now, no children or dogs around, good point about the collar grab, I can see that now, she will go to her bed but she only really uses it at night, and it's never locked. I don't really send her to bed (crate) in the day, she will just go in when she wants. Maybe I should confine her treats to her cage? still don't understand her food obsession though
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 10 2014, 19:56

Maybe trying to push boundaries a little! She's not due a season or anything? You don't have to shut her in the crate, just put the treat in there and leave her to her own devices, if she keeps taking it out of the crate just put it back in and you could then shut the door if needs be!

Sounds a bit odd but does she go to the toilet a lot on jwb? My friends dog used to pass 5-6 motions a day with that food which I would imagine would make her quite hungry?! Some dogs are more foodie than others, always helpful in training but not so much in day to day life!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Mon Mar 10 2014, 20:02

She's had a season.Yes she does seem to go a lot, but she hasn't always been food obsessed, just a recent thing.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Mon Mar 10 2014, 20:06

I thought its not recommended to keep taking their food away now as it can cause them to start being protective with their food? If the dog is just left alone to eat they have no cause to be concerned about it?

On another note please be careful with the cow hooves, we stopped giving them to Alfie once we found he could shatter them, which left VERY sharp shards. Sad
flowerbud
flowerbud
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Mon Mar 10 2014, 21:08

I don't take her food away from her, she's usually alright with her hooves, the only thing I can think it was, is that there was someone else there who she's not used to, maybe she found him a threat, and Rachael made a good point
es concern me that she bit immediately, though I wouldn't really recommend collar grabs, especially after showing aggression to someone else as she probably would have already been in a heightened state or arousal. wrote:
which would explain why she bit me
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 11 2014, 13:35

How has she been today Nuala?
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Tue Mar 11 2014, 14:11

she's fine, she always is, a really good dog, these things just happen out of the blue, it's the unpredictability that gets me.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 11 2014, 14:14

At least you know to maybe be a bit more aware when visitors are around x
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Doufyl Thu Mar 27 2014, 12:47

Nuala wrote:I followed advice on here, which worked, sat by her bowl with her and put some kibbles in my hand, she took from my hand, then from the bowl, had to wait etc, she will sit and wait for her tea until told and eats it no problem, no sign of aggression, she was fine when I got her at 8 weeks, did the usual, stroke her, moved the bowl etc, she got funny at about 4 months, so I managed that like i said, and she's been fine since, just lately with the hoof, her weight is spot on and she's been wormed.

My 5 month old growls also while eating if somebody touches her. I started follow advice with her bowl. Is there any other technique that I could do? Thanks for the advice Smile
Doufyl
Doufyl
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kuba
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down