need some help and advice please dont know what to do

4 posters

Go down

need some help and advice please dont know what to do  Empty need some help and advice please dont know what to do

Post by benhughes1986 Sat Mar 08 2014, 23:36

Hello I have a 10 month old pup called drake. He is a very big boy and has bucket loads of energy. My problem is when we get visitors coming to the house he gets so excited jumping up at them and when they sit down he jumps all over couch all over them and because he is so big he really hurts. It gets to the point where I can't calm him down so o have to put him away in a different room until they have gone because he will not calm down. I don't even know where to begin with this but it's a really big problem as we have children who visit and old people. Please help me

benhughes1986
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : drake
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

need some help and advice please dont know what to do  Empty Re: need some help and advice please dont know what to do

Post by janey Sat Mar 08 2014, 23:56

Have you tried keeping him onlead? Do this for a time until he is calm, make sure he learns sit, leave, stay down and after a while of training, will not happen over night he will learn, does he have a place to go pther than the sofa when you have visitors, his own bed? Once you have got the basics on lead get him to go to his bed and stay there, again takes training but will work, good luck x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

need some help and advice please dont know what to do  Empty Re: need some help and advice please dont know what to do

Post by JStaff Sun Mar 09 2014, 06:50

Here's a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/how_to_stop_your_staffie_jumping_up
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by benhughes1986 Sun Mar 09 2014, 09:00

Thanks a lot for replying I'm going to definately try turning away from him until he loses interest. Thankyou

benhughes1986

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : drake
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Mar 09 2014, 10:18

Does he know any commands? Biscuit is very excitable when visitors that she knows come to the house, but has very strong obedience commands and will sit/stay until people have sat down and settled. If she jumps up we turn away and ignore and she now sits next to people to get attention. Exercise levels, time left alone on a daily basis and frequency of visits will effect the behaviour too. Other than this, if he's food oriented a stuffed kong will help to distract until he's used to them being there, along with crate time or a hook/lead restriction.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down