Vets at the Rescue Centres!

4 posters

Go down

Vets at the Rescue Centres! Empty Vets at the Rescue Centres!

Post by citybeatx Mon May 23 2011, 13:46

Right, to start I have got nothing against the vets in the Rescue Centres but I think that some of them don't really pay much attention to the dogs when giving them away? I got Poppy 4 weeks ago and of course she was checked by the vet there and she was fine to him then, I asked if its normal for staffy's eyes to be watering so often? Also little bit of white stuff were coming out, the vet said yeah it is normal, and it's just a seasonal thing for staffy's. So I was like yeah okay fine... but her eyes kept bugging me (I also posted a topic on here) but finally I went to the vet I have registered her with, and he said that it's an eye infection and if I didnt come in time, it would of got worse and later on there would be a risk of her being blind with her right eye (the one that was infected the most!). He gave me eye drops that need to be used for 2 weeks, she's been on it for 4 days now and her eyes are looking MUCH better!

So I just wanted to say to all the people who are planning on taking dogs from the Rescue Centres, don't be scared to ask the vet more questions, pay attention on how the vet is treating your pet and that he/she checks everything. ITS THEIR JOB. And they should be doing a brilliant job, unlike the vet I met at the Rescue Centre. If you have any concerns, take your pupil to another vet just to be on the safe side!
citybeatx
citybeatx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Vets at the Rescue Centres! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy & JRT Mylo.
Dog Gender(s) : Female/Male.
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Vets at the Rescue Centres! Empty Re: Vets at the Rescue Centres!

Post by Guest Mon May 23 2011, 13:48

good advice, sorry about your experience, let's hope it is just a one off

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23 2011, 13:51

Awww, Poor Poppy. Soooooo glad she is on the mend now and you took the time to get her seen by the vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon May 23 2011, 20:51

Aww i bet poppys eyes were sorw the stupid vet thanks for the advice
youngkaiser
youngkaiser
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23 2011, 21:13

Shame some vets let the thousands of good ones down. Sad Let's just hope he had a bad day & it won't happen again.

But you're right, never be sfraid to ask questions, especially if there's something you don't understand!

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed May 25 2011, 00:40

Vets not all of them care Sad
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa & Kuta Wed May 25 2011, 03:28

As most of you will know by now, we just adopted our second boy Brutus from the pound and we had a similar experience with them there too.
Brutus had a lump on his leg that needed to be removed, they did remove it, but the stitching was very rushed and messy, he will have a terrible scar from it.
Also, when I spoke to them on the phone, I suggested that he has a cone on so he doesn't chew at it and they said that was a good idea.
When my OH went out to pick him up the next morning, he found him with no cone AND he had chewed the bandage off! He asked if they had a cone and they gave him one, but the nurse insisted he wouldn't need it and that he would be fine now. He took it anyway, but didn't get a chance to put it on before he went to work. When I returned home that afternoon, he seemed fine so I didn't think anything of it. Later that night, I looked at his brand new bed and noticed there was a bit of blood on it. After looking at his leg, I noticed he had been chewing at it and had pulled out two stiches. It was bleeding quite badly and I was in a bit of a panic, until I found the first aid kit. I managed to get a clean bandage on it and put his cone on so he couldn't get to it.
I have been checking the wound daily and it seems fine, but we have a vet appointment tomorrow to check it to be safe.

I think at the rescue centres, they have so many animals to get to each day, things are rushed and they don't seem to care very much. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them are any different though. They are all just so full of animals, they run out of time. It does suck though when they charge so much for a dog when its not 100% healthy.

Glad Poppy is better now, hopefully our vet will give us good news tomorrow as well xx
Lisa & Kuta
Lisa & Kuta
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kuta & Brutus
Dog Gender(s) : both Males

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 09:43

I must admitt Ty had this problem also when we rescued him, the infection was quick and easy to sort with drops but wasnt picked up by a vet before we brought him home x

Back to top Go down

Post by citybeatx Wed May 25 2011, 10:28

Lisa & Kuta wrote:As most of you will know by now, we just adopted our second boy Brutus from the pound and we had a similar experience with them there too.
Brutus had a lump on his leg that needed to be removed, they did remove it, but the stitching was very rushed and messy, he will have a terrible scar from it.
Also, when I spoke to them on the phone, I suggested that he has a cone on so he doesn't chew at it and they said that was a good idea.
When my OH went out to pick him up the next morning, he found him with no cone AND he had chewed the bandage off! He asked if they had a cone and they gave him one, but the nurse insisted he wouldn't need it and that he would be fine now. He took it anyway, but didn't get a chance to put it on before he went to work. When I returned home that afternoon, he seemed fine so I didn't think anything of it. Later that night, I looked at his brand new bed and noticed there was a bit of blood on it. After looking at his leg, I noticed he had been chewing at it and had pulled out two stiches. It was bleeding quite badly and I was in a bit of a panic, until I found the first aid kit. I managed to get a clean bandage on it and put his cone on so he couldn't get to it.
I have been checking the wound daily and it seems fine, but we have a vet appointment tomorrow to check it to be safe.

I think at the rescue centres, they have so many animals to get to each day, things are rushed and they don't seem to care very much. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them are any different though. They are all just so full of animals, they run out of time. It does suck though when they charge so much for a dog when its not 100% healthy.

Glad Poppy is better now, hopefully our vet will give us good news tomorrow as well xx

Oh Lisa I'm so sorry to hear all about this, it's terrible because your situation is even worse than mine. And when you're rescuing a doggy, and he needs a major operation like this, nothing should be rushed incase a little thing goes wrong. Cus if one thing goes wrong, the rest will too! And if the rescue centres run out of time maybe they should start considering taking on more volunteers? I'm sure there is plenty people who would wanna do it, my nearest rescue centre is 2 hours drive away so I cant really do it myself otherwise I wouldnt mind! Hopefully Brutus is all well now, and you'll hear some really good news soon! Give him a big kiss from me and Popps :-) xx
citybeatx
citybeatx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Vets at the Rescue Centres! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy & JRT Mylo.
Dog Gender(s) : Female/Male.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down