JStaff
Sazzle
Rhia
Eric the king
10 posters

Go down

8 week old staff aka Eric the king Empty 8 week old staff aka Eric the king

Post by Eric the king Mon Mar 03 2014, 21:31

So my partner decided to buy a dog last week, we had been looking at pups only 2-3 weeks earlier and we couldn't decide on a breed. At the time I wanted an English Bull Terrier and the other half either a staff or a husky. Anyway here we are and I now how a beautiful staff puppy called Eric the king, football related clearly but suits our little man.

We have a large crate which he sleeps in at night but we are having to wait until he has fallen to sleep to put him in here. It's not been used for time out so I have rules the theory of negative association out. During the day this is not a major issue as we have a bit of time off but during the night it's not the best! Having to take him out and calm down hen put back into his cage.

Does anybody have any suggestions on why he reacts like this in his crate and what we can do to make him want to use it as his bed?

Thanks

Eric the king
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

8 week old staff aka Eric the king Empty Re: 8 week old staff aka Eric the king

Post by Rhia Mon Mar 03 2014, 21:47

Hi and welcome maybe come and introduce yourself at https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

He may just need time to adjust, others will be along soon to give advice too Big Grin 
Rhia
Rhia
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
8 week old staff aka Eric the king Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Banes
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Mar 03 2014, 21:50

Hi and welcome  Smile I haven't used a crate but this should help  Smile 

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/crate_training
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric the king Mon Mar 03 2014, 22:49

Just a few pictures of the little man and thank you for the link I was trying to figure that out on the original post. Also sorry most if the pictures are snap chats...

8 week old staff aka Eric the king Image_zps7a34f7fc
This is the little man at the minute

8 week old staff aka Eric the king Image_zpsfeb99d32
This is the little man the day we got him

Eric the king

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Mon Mar 03 2014, 22:51

very handsome  Love Struck 
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by JaxGirl Tue Mar 04 2014, 06:58

aww he is such a cutie!

My girl Jax slept in her crate the first two days we got her however she will not settle at all now and she prefers to sleep in her bed (outside the crate) and we block her off in our room using a playpen so she can't roam around while we sleep. Personally I don't like crates but I know a lot of people do. Our girl is also house trained so she will cry when she wants to get out of the play pen and go outside Smile
JaxGirl
JaxGirl
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Mar 04 2014, 08:24

He's gorgeous Smile did you crate train him when before you put him in? I had a mastiff puppy as a foster that used to scream the house down when I left him at night, I left him with a warm (not boiling) hot water bottle wrapped up with a blanket and a little clock (to represent mum's heartbeat) and it really settled him. He was taken away from mum too young though so was a little extra screwy. He just needs to learn that the crate is positive and that it's okay to be away from you. Lots of nice snuggly toys in his crate may help too Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossco91 Tue Mar 04 2014, 08:58

First of all you're partner has picked a brilliant name and clearly supports a fantastic team Wink. Such a cute pup! Mika was an absolute nightmare when we first got her and had her in her cage. With some cracking advice from people on here we learned to just try and ignore the very loud whining. We left a little light on for her and bought a teddy for her to cuddle into, once she realised we weren't reacting to her noise she soon stopped:)
Rossco91
Rossco91
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04 2014, 09:42

Beautiful Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Mar 04 2014, 09:46

He is stunning! Looks a good size too :p Hopefully he will settle, if he is not used to sleeping in a crate you will have to spend some time helping him associate the crate with good things Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by JaxGirl Wed Mar 05 2014, 09:16

In addition to my first post we are trying to get Jax to like her crate and sleep in it rather than in her bed, as when she goes to puppy daycare they have to sleep in a crate during nap time.
I tried for over an hour with no luck, my partner came and had a go at settling her in the crate and she was fast asleep within 10 minutes (much to my surprise). I don't know what he did but a little cuddle and a blanket over the crate and she is now in doggy dreamland, YAY  applause 
JaxGirl
JaxGirl

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Mar 05 2014, 11:53

Rocky has a crate in the hall and his bed in the lounge, he sleeps on our bed with us though. The crate is only ever used when he wants to go inside it, the door is always open.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric the king Wed Mar 05 2014, 21:36

Hey guys, thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate all the advice and guidance there are a lot of useful tips. He's been ok in his crate the past few nights now only stirring to go for a wee at most twice in the night. He's manic for a couple of hours before we go to bed. We've now started going to bed a little earlier and watching telly whilst we settle him then putting him in his crate. Seems to be working wonders!

The little mite has now started biting everything... I've had pups before just never this young.

Eric the king

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by winnie105 Wed Mar 05 2014, 21:41

I crated Ronnie from 10wks.  We made sure we put him in at the same time every night with a few puppy treats which he just has when he goes in the crate.  

We let him out for a wee 3hrs after goin in the crate and put him straight back in without talking too much to him (because it was still the middle of the night) then when it was morning made a fuss of him and let him out again. Having a routine for giving his food same time, walks same time and bed round about same time helped us.

We quickly got in a routine.  Yes his crate was dirty up to him being about 17wks - but we had a bottle of diluted jeyes fluid ready made up to clean the crate without making a fuss.  Because he messed his crate alot I found it easier to use cheap single duvets which we could throw away after a couple of washes or even throw straight out depending on the mess - this saved money on dog beds.  Old blankets from charity shops were also good beds as they are not chewed as easy.

When his crate wasnt dirty we pushed the time from 3hrs to 4hrs and slowly made it through the night.  He is fine now for upto 7hrs alone. At weekends if we want a lie-in we got him the same time as we did through the week but took him up to our bed for another couple of hours and that way I got a lie-in without feeling guilty about him still being in the crate as he has got bigger we still do this but because he is now a big lump we bring his bed up to our room.

Leaving him to cry and not react and giving him the same treats only when he goes to bed helped.  Also we used the same words at bedtime so right from start  we used 'Wee wee bed time' so he goes wee and now puts himself in the crate.  

He's 10mth now and we still use the crate.  Last night we tried for the first time allowing him out of the crate and was terrified coming downstairs this morning incase he had eaten the house but all was fine and might try again tonight.

Start as you mean to go on and dont let them gorgeous puppy dog eyes make you feel sorry for him.  They love the crate when they are used to it and he will quickly love his to.

Good Luck and keep us all updated
winnie105
winnie105

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Spike
Dog(s) Ages : 9yrs