JStaff
TonyW
jshrew
Sazzle
shyfx
sebblakeney21
13 posters

Go down

Help needed please! Empty Help needed please!

Post by sebblakeney21 Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:06

Hello guys,

I'm going to be a first time dog keeper and kind of have my sights set on a staffordshire bull terrier.

I haven't jumped the gun and found a particular dog yet, just testing the waters really!

I'm basically after some advice, being a first time novice dog keeper I'd like to ask a few things
1. Would a staffy be a suitable first time dog? I do understand how to train and raise a dog, but are these particularly hard? Do they need expert training?
2. Are there any reputable breeders in the uk? I've seen hundreds of ad's for staffy pups but with no paper or father to be seen, ideally i'd like to see both parents and papers if I was to buy a dog.
3. Would you recommend a staffy to a young first time dog keeper? I'm 20 and very active, I'd plan to keep my dog active with me and would have no issues walking twice a day, more if needed.

Cheers guys, hopefully you can shed a little light on the subject for me.

Thanks,

Seb.

sebblakeney21
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help needed please! Empty Re: Help needed please!

Post by shyfx Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:15

Staffies are not particulary hard to train. I wouldn't say they need expert training.As for breeders I'm sure someone here can help I got Suzy as a rescue. Suzy is my first dog I've been brought up around dogs but she is the first dog that actually belongs to me. I walk Suzy a lot and I tend to walk her about 4 times a day. This is a personal thing and I find it a cheaper way of keeping fit than going to the gym  Big Grin I'm not one for having to pay lots of money to lift heavy stuff

shyfx
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Suzy
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by sebblakeney21 Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:18

Thanks for the reply,

It's just a little daunting going to look for my first dog, I have the dogs interests at heart, don't want to go and get one for him to be unhappy. I'm fairly confident I could train a little pooch up quite nicely Smile LOL i like the sound of that, getting fit with the dog might save me a tad on the gym!

Are there any downsides to getting a rescue dog? I'd rather help a dog in need than buy a puppy to be honest, I'd be worried about the dogs past though and if it was raised properly. Can you still train adult dogs?

sebblakeney21

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:21

Yes easy to train but need plenty of exercise! physically and mentally. You need to be sure you have time for both these.
As for breeders a reputable one is a must.
Why not pop along and say hi here  Big Grin 
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:21

Hi and welcome, do come and say hello here when you get chance  Smile https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

There is no reason why a first time dog owner can't have a staffy, they are fantastic dogs, do you have your heart set on a puppy of would you consider an older rescue?

There are good breeders in the UK, make sure they are fully health tested and like you say see the parents.

Staffys are high energy and do need 2/3 45 min walks a day (once old enough) they are no harder to train than any other dog.

If you have a look on our website there is lots of information about buying, training etc

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:29

Ledger is my first dog and a rescue. He was about 2 when we were introduced and I can assure you that with a pocket full of tasty treats training will not be a problem. I can highly recommend visiting a couple of rescue centres there will be loads of staffys of various ages and backgrounds. I went with Dogs Trust who matched us perfectly but in future will probably go to one of the staffy rescues
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by shyfx Tue Feb 25 2014, 20:36

That was the only thing about rescuing Suzy the way I did, the previous owners either didn't know/care to say she had a laxating patella. When you are an hour away from home with her and her leg just goes its not the best time to find that out. But she's all fixed now,But trying to carry a wriggling 35 lb dog back home wasn't the easiest thing I've had to do  Big Grin 

shyfx

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suzy
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyW Tue Feb 25 2014, 21:52

A Stafford as a first Dog is fine. They are no more difficult to train than any dog and, in my view, give a lot more in return than a lot of dogs.

It's very easy for people to say there are reputable breeders in the UK but I found that nobody could/would commit to tell me who or where they are and how to find them. This means, especially as a first time owner, that you always feel you are taking a gamble to some extent.

I was very happy with the Breeder I got Barney from two weeks ago. (She has one Dog pup left btw lol). However, I responded to an ad on Champdogs because I did not know (and still don't) how else to find a reputable breeder.

It's a minefield really but, if the paperwork and health checks are in order (plenty of info on this site about both) then your instinct has to come into play in a big way.
That is probably more difficult for you being a first time owner but you seem to have common sense (you researched here before purchase) and hopefully you will feel if something is not right.

Always plenty of advice available here if anything troubles you throughout the process.

Good luck and enjoy your new friend.
TonyW
TonyW
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help needed please! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 18/12/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:02

The website Sazzle posted has a ton of useful information and guides. They are no harder to train than any other dog but they must be exercised every day. Suki gets a minimum of 2 hours everyday regardless of our schedule or the weather.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by michellemartin Tue Feb 25 2014, 22:03

I'm 21 and Alfie is my first dog - I'd always been around dogs in my family home but we'd never had one as a puppy and I'd never been the one doing any of the training. It was challenging to say the least but so rewarding! He picked things up like sit/lie down/stay/heel really quickly, they're such clever dogs. He's almost 6 months now and I couldn't imagine life without him, best decision we ever made Smile as long as you've got the time and the love to give then I'm sure you'll be fine Smile xx
michellemartin
michellemartin
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Wed Feb 26 2014, 11:27

Axl is my first Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I can't tell you how much joy he gives me every day he's a delight Big Grin I had him as a pup and he was very very easy to train he picked things up very quickly. Staffies are very intelligent although they act the clown all the time lol

I would recommend a staffie 100% you'll never look back!

I would encourage you to go to the rescue centres though the staff will tell you the background of the dog although sometimes they don't know the background if its come in as a stray but I know plenty of people who have rescued staffies and they are brilliant dogs even though they have had a hard start to life. They tend to forgive and forget and their love for humans is amazing. There are of course some rescues that have issues but if you have a proper chat with teh rescue centre you visit they will pair you with the perfect dog for you.

Good luck in your search!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Feb 26 2014, 11:33

I have grown up with dogs. But Pixee is my first staffy and a rescue too. And I can say this, she is the best dog. They are very clever dogs, and do need plenty of excise whatever the weather. Staffies love humans and are very loyal too. I got Pixee from the blue cross. Good luck with your search.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by kattie Wed Feb 26 2014, 13:36

there are reputable breeders out their, gallant staff in wales she's brillant and a reputable breeder if you look at her website Smile and greg jackson roughnecks he is a reputable breeder as well Smile
kattie
kattie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie Jasper
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years, 8 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 82

https://www.facebook.com/CanineCoachingCareDogWalkingServices?re

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Feb 26 2014, 14:04

A finer choice you couldn't make.

We got Flo from BDCH 2 years ago, they have a resume of the dog i.e. what they like, what they don't, weather they are good in houses with kids etc and importantly, any ailments. My Flo is deaf according to the resident vet and on asking how/why, we were given a clearer picture of how she had been treated by her previous owner.

I agree with all of the above comments, Staffys are smart, you won't have any problems with training as long as you have a pocket full of treats.

A more loyal dog you could not wish for  Big Grin
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Wed Feb 26 2014, 17:14

I`ve always had staffy we got Snoop when he was a year old. Too be honest he did not have the best start. they had another dog and he was underweight and had not been treated well. My kids were only little at the time but my brother in law uncle knew Snoop and wanted him but his wife said no. I was told he was a great dog and decided to go for it.
I could not of asked for a better dog and he was fab with all the kids in the family. A very loving and a great big softy who loved cuddles. snoop was a bit of a bugger for chewing stuff if left alone but that was it. As we got Snoop when he was a year old we missed out on the puppy stage it was a new experience  Laughing 
Lula was 7 weeks when we got her and its been lovely watching her grow and change. The mouthing was a bit of an eye opener but found lots of great advice on here. Lula seems pretty eager to learn and the way to her heart is through her belly  Laughing 
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Feb 27 2014, 08:57

We got Bane as a puppy at 7 weeks, from a pretty crappy breeder if I am honest. We were pretty clueless, not interested in the KC registered bits n bobs so just wanted a cute, healthy puppy and just fell in love at first sight. We don't ever regret getting him, however now see the would be benefits of getting a puppy from a reputable breeder as Bane has developed some skin problems.

Rescuing is great option too! If you were interested in a puppy, they do still come into rescues at times, you may just have to wait a bit longer. If I ever get a second dog at some point, I will definitely rescue Smile

I've grown up around dogs but Banes was the first puppy I have raised. It is tough as they can be right little buggers! But they are such loving and friendly dogs it is definitely worth it! They are really intelligent and do need a lot of exercise but as long as you have the commitment you will be fine! They are such clowns and have great personalities, Staffies are definitely a great choice Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down