Sazzle
Rhia
beverley
13 posters

Go down

biting Empty biting

Post by beverley Wed Feb 19 2014, 20:52

hi everybody,

monty is now about 4 and a half months old and he is still biting really bad and hes doesn't seem to be showing any signs of calming down. i know that it takes time and patience but he just isnt showing any signs of stopping biting.
his biting is really nasty , he bit my mum last nite and now she has a big bite mark, also i just sit on the sofa and he runs at me jumps up and bites my arm really hard, even when we try to stroke him he just tries to bite.
starting to think that he doesnt like us Sad
we thought he could be playing but he bites really aggressively so he doesn't seem to be playing Sad
he is that bad we are considering rehoming him Sad
we just dont know what to do at all
was wondering if anybody has anymore suggestions?????
would really appreciate any advice that anybody has Smile
thanks
beverley
beverley
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : monty
Dog(s) Ages : 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

biting Empty Re: biting

Post by Rhia Wed Feb 19 2014, 20:53

Don't give up yet, somebody will be along soon to help x
Rhia
Rhia
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
biting Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Banes
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Feb 19 2014, 21:05

Please don't give up on him, he is still a baby, many of our members have been through the same. Does he know sit and stay? You could use that as a time out? xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by beverley Wed Feb 19 2014, 21:11

he does know sit Smile will try that then
in your opinion do you think it normal to still be biting all the time because were getting really worried whether theres something wrong xx
beverley
beverley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Wed Feb 19 2014, 21:15

Hey eddie use to do this to my mrs just snap at her soon as he did this i just give a firm no and walk him to his crete it takes a while and now and then he try's it on of he gets over excited but nothing meaningful he should realise that when he dose it that he as to be alone that worked for me i think its trial and error other members with more experience will know more keep up the good work
Eddie
Eddie
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Eddie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 month
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Feb 19 2014, 21:16

Some are worse than others but its not uncommon xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by beverley Wed Feb 19 2014, 21:20

okay thank you Smile xx
beverley
beverley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Feb 19 2014, 22:57

Here is a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting

Everyone has to react the same way to the biting every time it happens and it will stop in time. He is not being vicious and is simply playing. He is still learning bite inhibition as well. Also, he may be teething so a frozen treat like a stuffed kong or sliced sweet potato will help.

HOw much exercise is he getting. He should get 2-3 walks per day for each month of age.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Thu Feb 20 2014, 05:31

My pup is 4 months old and still bites a fair bit, but it IS getting better - slowly, and slower than we expected. Hang in there !! I have found when he does it putting him into time out (we have a baby gate across the laundry door) for a few mins til he settles helps, or of course distraction with toys seems to make a difference - this is my least fave option though as I feel we are rewarding him with something fun after bad behaviour. He's had the odd little smack and certainly gets told off in a loud firm voice by us both. I've been threatening him with a rolled up newspaper that also seems to work well. When he gets more aggressive and starts lunging at me (never my OH!) barking if I can grab him and pin him down I do (sounds awful but works a treat!) or repeatedly tell him to sit until he does, the sitting seems to calm him. I have tried ignoring him and even walking away but often he's followed me and bit the back of my legs! I hope some of this helps. Most of all, hang in there !! x
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by michellemartin Thu Feb 20 2014, 11:14

Don't give up, he'll get there! Time outs were the key to stopping Alfie biting so that could be worth a try. When he goes too far take him to his time out spot and leave him for a minute or so and ignore him when he comes back out, if he's anything like Alfie he will creep around you to say sorry lol Smile xx
michellemartin
michellemartin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by rico24 Thu Feb 20 2014, 11:25

I know exactly how u feel weve had the same problems with our girl. She was the only pup in the litter and never got to learn the bite inhibition.
It is so tough i know what u mean it sounds and looks so aggressive. Are u planning on going ro training classes just to help u form a bond with him? It seems to be a staffy thing, everyone on here is really helpful.

I recently bought training discs..im tryin tht with her...u could have a read about them if all else fails
rico24
rico24
biting Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Thu Feb 20 2014, 15:24

Don't give up, he is still a baby. I remember my Caley doing this she would constantly bite but we used to put her in time out if she got too carried away, shut her in the downstairs toilet for a few mins, she soon realised what would happen if she carried on, over time she settled down, those first few months are really tough but I promise it gets sooo much better and sooo rewarding.
debtom
debtom
biting Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Thu Feb 20 2014, 17:07

Lula was really bad and i thought it would never end. we all had marks on are hands and arms and she seem worst with my daughter. i did notice my daughter was really soft with her and would let her get anyway with everything. I had a chat with my daughter and explained Lula was getting mixed messages and we decided all to follow the same rules.

Whenever Lula tried to mouth or bite us she would be told no and given a chew toy. if she was getting really bad we put her on the floor and ignore her. I`d also get her to sit and when she did give her a treat. Lula would be more interested in sitting and getting the treat she would quickly calm down. It did take time and at times it felt as if we were getting nowhere with her. Lula knows she can`t get away with biting or mouthing people. I make sure she has lots of toys to chew on and praise her when she being good.
We are now working on her being over excited when guest call lol and already she is getting better and quieting down faster
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Feb 20 2014, 21:13

debtom wrote:Don't give up, he is still a baby.  I remember my Caley doing this she would constantly bite but we used to put her in time out if she got too carried away, shut her in the downstairs toilet for a few mins, she soon realised what would happen if she carried on, over time she settled down, those first few months are really tough but I promise it gets sooo much better and sooo rewarding.

Exactly what I done with Zeus. Whenever he used to bite or do something we didnt want him to do, we'd pick him up and put him in another room to cool down for a few minutes. We'd then let him back in, and more than likely, he'd do the same thing and we'd take him out for time out. I remember on a few occasions I done this literally 10 times in a row but eventually he got the hang of it and realised he'd be taken away if he carried on this unwanted behaviour.

It can be a bit daunting, trying to pick him up when he was biting etc, but just bite the bullet and show you're not scared. Better to do it now when theyre young before they have bigger an stronger teeth.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Fri Feb 21 2014, 07:21

Have you got plenty chews for him and toys only beaus teeth are falling out now and loves her chews!
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : beau
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Support total : 99

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Fri Feb 21 2014, 18:20

Don't give up he's still learning and is just a baby Smile don't use physical force I.e smacking it will just make him nervous of you or make him more excitable. Also don't threaten him with a rolled up paper or anything else that also will make him a nervous of you. A firm "no" and time out behind a baby gate will work it takes a lot if time and patience but if you are consistent and patient it will pay off. Also don't shout no, just say it in a firm calm voice. They are very excitable when they are pups and constantly test boundaries just like humans.

Also I wouldn't recommend using a crate to punish him it's meant to be a place of safety and comfort. Try using a baby gate for time out.

You could try saying ouch when he bites too hard and turn your back, when he is calm turn back around and praise.

With any of these tips everyone needs to do the same thing and consistency is the key Smile

Just out of interest how old was he when you got him? Sometimes when they leave their litter mates too early they don't learn the things they are supposed to like bite inhibition.

There's nothing wrong with him so please don't give up, pups are hard work but if you stick with it the rewards outweigh the stress in the long run by miles x
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down